• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the retirement of players too fake

aussie tragic

International Captain
Is the "Decision" of players too fake

So, we have Vaughan conveniently announcing his resignation as ODI Captain...then we have Pietersen announcing that he's not yet ready to Captain England and excusing himself so that Collingwood can be appointed.....

Has England established a "Saving Face" mentality.....i.e. no matter what, let it look like it's the players decision.....after the selectors have made thier call :ph34r:

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fair call. KP was probably told earlier in the week that he wasn’t going to get the gig and likewise Vaughan jumped before he was pushed.

TBH everything the England team says (minus Vaughan’s Fred comments) is voided of any personality and follows a similar rhetoric.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I heard that England have been secretly employing Alastair Campbell who has been teaching them how to speak for 30 minutes without actually saying anything.

All of the England team are sooooo asinine. Yawn.

Where have all the cricketing personalities gone?

I can only think of Sreesanth and possibly Gayle who are vaguely interesting people in the current crop. Its a yawn-fest at the moment.

EDIT: Possibly Symo and Watson, despite 90% of what they speak being bull****, at least they are being interesting when they say it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't really bother me, TBH. It's not much different said or unsaid. I certainly don't really think saving face makes someone devoid of character. :huh:

stumpski

International Captain
There are a few personalities left: Darren Gough, Andre Nel, Warnie to name but three. :)

But it tends to be the older players who don't care what the selectors think.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it is pretty fair that Michael Vaughan retired as ODI captain, he hasn't had much success and was moving on for the good of the team. Pietersen's comment sounded rather unlike his usual personality, and I was surprised to hear that he was effectively ruling himself out of the hunt for the captaincy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So, we have Vaughan conveniently announcing his resignation as ODI Captain...then we have Pietersen announcing that he's not yet ready to Captain England and excusing himself so that Collingwood can be appointed.....

Has England established a "Saving Face" mentality.....i.e. no matter what, let it look like it's the players decision.....after the selectors have made thier call :ph34r:
In other words, it is doing too good a job of quelling the public's desire for blood-letting, and seeing people disappointed at failing to get the captaincy?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmmm. Last autumn Strauss did a series of interviews the day before the Ashes squad was announced, saying that he really wanted the captaincy. He'd actually been told the day before that Flintoff had the gig.

pup11

International Coach
I think whatever ECB is doing is just to avoid friction among the English team and they are just avoiding a situation where the media can tarnish the image of the team [even more] after the recent Vaughan-Flintoff saga. Atleast ECB doesn't work like the BCCI :dry: .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry mate, have you still not got the details? Have you got a reply from Sean yet? If not, mail me at RJED2@AOL. com.

You're not supposed to genuinely nominate for Awards in the public eye 'cos it spoils the surprise. ;)

Fiery

Banned
Sorry mate, have you still not got the details? Have you got a reply from Sean yet? If not, mail me at RJED2@AOL. com.

You're not supposed to genuinely nominate for Awards in the public eye 'cos it spoils the surprise. ;)
Yeah, we have emailed each other about it actually, just wasn't totally sure about the process. Cheers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, right. Ah, of course. It's traditional that Akhil does these things. The formalities must be observed. Akhil, when you see this, email Fiery the details at his address which I'm sure he'll shortly provide...