• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I just remembered that L&L has requested not to discuss bowlers who are not in yet in the poll. So, I will stop here.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Gonna have to change my mind and start a Davo>Akram movement. It would be a bit devil's advocate but some of the bowlers he's being voted behind are ridiculous.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I appreciate the efforts by the administrator. But this exercise is becoming a bit of a joke.

A spinner who took 3.6 wickets per game (144 wickets in 40 tests @ 77.6 SR) is being picked ahead of better spinners and countless better fast bowlers
Oh no people disagree with my opinion on a player! I’m gonna call it a joke!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim Akram at No.11 is absurd.

One one hand some of you are claiming that stats matter and that Akram couldn't quite get it done to the same extent as others like Hadlee etc (mostly due to Pakistan's atrocious fielding)

While on the other hand, a number of you have picked Verity who only took 3.6 wickets per match as a spinner and that too at a high SR of 77.6.

He's been picked ahead of better spinners and countless better fast bowlers.. I stopped taking this exercise seriously very early on and started ignoring it and I have come back only to find it's only got worse.

You keep voting and keep justifying stats in one case and ignore stats in other cases as per your convenience.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain

One one hand some of you are claiming that stats matter and that Akram couldn't quite get it done to the same extent as others like Hadlee etc (mostly due to Pakistan's atrocious fielding)

While on the other hand you have picked Verity who only took 3.6 wickets per match as a spinner and that too at a high SR of 77.6. (144 wickets in 40 tests @ 77.6 SR)

He's been picked ahead of better spinners and countless better fast bowlers.. I stopped taking this exercise seriously very early on and started ignoring it and I have come back and it's only got worse.

You keep voting and keep justifying stats in one case and ignore stats in other cases as per your convenience.
Wasim Akram already went a lot of players ago and Verity is being voted for now you dolt.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Akram has already improved 2 spots on the 2022 pacers poll. It's easy to remind members of Pakistan's atrocious fielding but convenient to overlook ball tampering.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

While on the other hand a number of you have picked Verity who only took 3.6 wickets per match as a spinner and that too at a high SR of 77.6. (144 wickets in 40 tests @ 77.6 SR)

He's been picked ahead of better spinners and countless better fast bowlers.. I stopped taking this exercise seriously very early on and started ignoring it and I have come back and it's only got worse.

lol Akram at 11 is absurd apparently… First off nobody is going to agree with all the rankings - I certainly don’t.

The merits and weaknesses of Verity have been discussed at length in recent comprison threads, if you’d care to read them.

It honestly sounds like you just can’t handle people having different opinions to you, perhaps you’re the one who needs to not be taken seriously, rather than the thread.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
lol Akram at 11 is absurd apparently… First off nobody is going to agree with all the rankings - I certainly don’t.

The merits and weaknesses of Verity have been discussed at length in recent comprison threads, if you’d care to read them.

It honestly sounds like you just can’t handle people having different opinions to you, perhaps you’re the one who needs to not be taken seriously, rather than the thread.
The fact he's using someone whose already been voted many places above him to moan is monumentally ridiculous.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

I would accept this if Verity was the original vote for all the 11 voters like you did.. But just go back and check how many and who edited votes to Verity to get him ahead of Ashwin and you will know that it is not right.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see the pattern of voting -thats what is a joke. English/Aus voters going for SENA bowlers, Indian voters going for SC bowlers. Thats where it's become a joke.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's easy to overlook several aspects of Verity's career. On his initial tour of Australia he was used by Jardine in a containing role while he rested the quicks. This would explain a modest strike rate.
He also bowled against sides which included Bradman. Perhaps the most significant fact is that during the 17 Tests in which they faced each other, Verity dismissed Bradman eight times, more than any other bowler.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see the pattern of voting -thats what is a joke. English/Aus voters going for SENA bowlers, Indian voters going for SC bowlers. Thats where it's become a joke.
Oh good, now you’re going to bring this into it. If you don’t like the thread and think the rankings are meaningless, shut the **** up and ignore the thread, its not hard.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The joke started on the first day of voting when one voter put Ashwin ahead of every other bowler, past and present.
It continued when one voter, when voting for Ashwin the first time, put him ahead of players he had voted for earlier. The next few posts included two who cut and pasted this voter's post adding "Me too" (or words to that effect.

Putting that all aside, I see the votes panning out fairly despite occasional regional bias. If you see the process as being a joke then leave the thread for those taking it seriously.