• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

King Kane

International Debutant
Well at least we have one of our best batsmen in Henry out there now.

We have also beaten Australia's 2nd innings total now too, so there are some positives.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Hate to admit it bit SP has had the best plan to Lyon of any of our batsmen this morning. Get as far forward as possible to smoother the bounce, leave anything shorter and if you're going to play anything on the leg stump line just try and moose it.
Yeah at least he had a plan.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I was going to pop in this morning and comment on the tone of a few posts from yesterday which are in a similar tone to this one, namely “if everything bad which happened to nz in the test hadn’t happened then they would have won.” We had all reasons this is totally on nz and nothing to do with aus, and it’s crap.

“oh they dropped some catches, oh we bowled badly at this point, oh we batted badly at the start of our first innings.”

Spare us this ****. They won the toss and had the best of it on a sporting pitch and the Aus batting is as fragile as I’ve seen it since the late era Clarke captaincy. The difference is the Aus bowlers typically give you nothing. Lyon has had a great game - runs and wickets. Despite Green’s ton he should be MOTM easily. The quicks have been on the money as well.

Both sides turn up to have a crack. The idea nz have somehow thrown this away is laughable, especially given the way Aus batted yesterday.

They’ve copped a job in’. End of.
I mean, it's pretty basic human nature that we turn the blowtorch and focus onto our own side.

Have we thrown it away? Of course we have. We've batted with a mix of lack of skill and pretty subpar thinking...against a great bowling lineup. A brilliant one.

And we bowled well mostly against as you say, a pretty down on strength batting line up, but we ****ed some of that up too with poor catching and not picking the best side - ie omitting a front line spinner.

So yeah don't feel like we don't acknowledge we were beaten by a better team, we do. But there's been a lot of flaws and could have beens, it's only natural to see those

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to pop in this morning and comment on the tone of a few posts from yesterday which are in a similar tone to this one, namely “if everything bad which happened to nz in the test hadn’t happened then they would have won.” We had all reasons this is totally on nz and nothing to do with aus, and it’s crap.

“oh they dropped some catches, oh we bowled badly at this point, oh we batted badly at the start of our first innings.”

Spare us this ****. They won the toss and had the best of it on a sporting pitch and the Aus batting is as fragile as I’ve seen it since the late era Clarke captaincy. The difference is the Aus bowlers typically give you nothing. Lyon has had a great game - runs and wickets. Despite Green’s ton he should be MOTM easily. The quicks have been on the money as well.

Both sides turn up to have a crack. The idea nz have somehow thrown this away is laughable, especially given the way Aus batted yesterday.

They’ve copped a job in’. End of.
I don't entirely disagree with this, but also nah. Letting Josh Hazlewood bat for the best part of 2 and a half hours whilst bowling about 3 balls that would've hit the stumps, Kane taking a suisingle and simultaneously trying to audition for an NRL gig, Rachin slapping a wide half volley to point 2nd ball, the abysmal catching etc etc.

Australia are a better team, and the fact that they're winning so handsomely after losing an important toss is a credit to the gulf between the sides. But it was a desperately ragged performance on day 2.

I do agree that those downplaying Lyon's skill in this innings are way off the mark though.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I mean, it's pretty basic human nature that we turn the blowtorch and focus onto our own side.

Have we thrown it away? Of course we have. We've batted with a mix of lack of skill and pretty subpar thinking...against a great bowling lineup. A brilliant one.

And we bowled well mostly against as you say, a pretty down on strength batting line up, but we ****ed some of that up too with poor catching and not picking the best side - ie omitting a front line spinner.

So yeah don't feel like we don't acknowledge we were beaten by a better team, we do. But there's been a lot of flaws and could have beens, it's only natural to see those
Yeah exactly. I don't think you'll find a single rational NZ fan who doesn't acknowledge that Australia are better than us, but we have been much better in the last decade or so than we have historically, and expectations rise.

They rise even more so against Australia, the big brother who traditionally has always sat at the top of the tree.

So when we get a rare shot at them with this pretty decent team of ours, we get excited, we get hopeful, and when we get massacred in the same manner as always, you bet your arse we lash out at our own team.

King Kane

International Debutant
A typical Southee innings, slogs a six and then gets out trying to slog another one.

Mitchell has batted well today but we've had a bunch of lemmings at the other end.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
10-fer for Lyon. Fair effort.

Him or Green for MOTM?
Green, without him Australia probably don't make more than 200 in the first innings and the whole game potentially takes a very different path. Lyon's been excellent on a helpful surface. Green scored more than a 100 runs more than the next highest scorer in the match.

Last edited: