• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps. He's definitely learnt over time. Back in the day we played SL at home right after a big battle with Aus in 2015 where he made 2 tons over there. We came home for SL and he kept getting out in the 80s batting with his penis.

Contrary to narrative, KW does have an ego in there, and he has thrown it away a lot batting with the penii when he was younger. Still does in ODIs.
This is true but I also think in some respects he was a better player when he used to look to impose himself on opposition bowlers more, especially when playing against high quality attacks. Try to face 250 balls v Cummins and co and the odds are sooner or later you're going to get a ball with your name on it. Taking a few calculated risks puts pressure back on the opposition and forces them to move away from plan A (I.e. bowl in the channel and hope he feathers one). He possibly feels he doesn't have the same reflexes he had when he was 25 and so needs to take a more risk-minimisation oriented approach, but I can't help but look but at those hundreds at the Gabba and the Waca were he made Johnson et al look like club bowlers and feel that he's lost something.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps. He's definitely learnt over time. Back in the day we played SL at home right after a big battle with Aus in 2015 where he made 2 tons over there. We came home for SL and he kept getting out in the 80s batting with his penis.

Contrary to narrative, KW does have an ego in there, and he has thrown it away a lot batting with the penii when he was younger. Still does in ODIs.
It's a hard thing to battle with ones penis

Flem274*

123/5
This is true but I also think in some respects he was a better player when he used to look to impose himself on opposition bowlers more, especially when playing against high quality attacks. Try to face 250 balls v Cummins and co and the odds are sooner or later you're going to get a ball with your name on it. Taking a few calculated risks puts pressure back on the opposition and forces them to move away from plan A (I.e. bowl in the channel and hope he feathers one). He possibly feels he doesn't have the same reflexes he had when he was 25 and so needs to take a more risk-minimisation oriented approach, but I can't help but look but at those hundreds at the Gabba and the Waca were he made Johnson et al look like club bowlers and feel that he's lost something.
100%. But it's also true his contempt for **** bowling led to some missed opportunities to cash in, a bit like 2008 - 2012 Taylor.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batters change, some become disgusting useless jokes like Tendulkar, some thrive towards the end like Hussey.

And lets be honest, runs weren't exactly hard to come by in those tests he made hundreds in either. Johnson spent two summers getting spanked on those lifeless concrete slabs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Kane averages 42 away, and 45 if you include neutral venues. Is that really that bad? It's probably something that keeps him out of the "best since bradman" discussion that smith finds himself in, but outside of that it's pretty miniscule, no? Bloke has 31 test hundreds at 55 in a hard batting era. If you go since the start of 2016 when batting got harder worldwide, his away+neutral average is actually higher (nearly 48). Maybe his away average is more just a symptom of the fact 14 of his first 20 test's when he was still young (debuted at 19/20, up until ~23) where away, and in those he averaged 28 away in those 14 test's.

If kane plays for Australia, or another big nation like that in a more competitive era, I doubt he gets 20 straight test's, mostly away, so young and probably has a higher away average, no?

There's only 13 players in the history of the game who made over 850 runs (the amount kane made) away by the age of 22. Kane's average is the worse of anyone of that list bar ashraful, but I think it shows that alot of players don't actually get the chance to play that much cricket away from home, or in general, at such a young age.

Slifer

International Captain
Kane averages 42 away, and 45 if you include neutral venues. Is that really that bad? It's probably something that keeps him out of the "best since bradman" discussion that smith finds himself in, but outside of that it's pretty miniscule, no? Bloke has 31 test hundreds at 55 in a hard batting era. If you go since the start of 2016 when batting got harder worldwide, his away+neutral average is actually higher (nearly 48). Maybe his away average is more just a symptom of the fact 14 of his first 20 test's when he was still young (debuted at 19/20, up until ~23) where away, and in those he averaged 28 away in those 14 test's.

If kane plays for Australia, or another big nation like that in a more competitive era, I doubt he gets 20 straight test's, mostly away, so young and probably has a higher away average, no?

There's only 13 players in the history of the game who made over 850 runs (the amount kane made) away by the age of 22. Kane's average is the worse of anyone of that list bar ashraful, but I think it shows that alot of players don't actually get the chance to play that much cricket away from home, or in general, at such a young age.
42 away is just not good enough if you want to be in the best after Bradman category. Those who are there: Sachin, Hobbs, Smith, Sobers all average over 50 away. Sobers has a huge disparity between his home vs away but 50 away is still good enough.

Kane is probably in the next group but on the lower end.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
42 away is just not good enough if you want to be in the best after Bradman category. Those who are there: Sachin, Hobbs, Smith, Sobers all average over 50 away. Sobers has a huge disparity between his home vs away but 50 away is still good enough.

Kane is probably in the next group but on the lower end.
He averages 45.4 away, you’re not including the neutral UAE tests or the WTC final.

Slifer

International Captain
He averages 45.4 away, you’re not including the neutral UAE tests or the WTC final.
Right so its not away. And the only decent country he averages more than 40 away to, is Australia (5 test minimum). That's not good enough. Sorry. He's an atg surely, but not in the 2nd after the Don.