• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
After watching nearly all of this test the only observation I have to contribute to the discussion on Kane is that I observed that between deliveries he likes to garden a lot. FWIW.

Poor attempt at humour

On a serious note I have never seen a batsman coach his younger colleagues as well and as much as Kane does. Whenever tension is building in an over he wanders down and says something encouraging.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah he has looked the least likely of the bowlers. Still think there is tons to play for if you are one of the batters. Don't think Fortuin has the game but the top 7 all have something to play for.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
My other contributions even though the test has long advanced since these moments

1) I think Rachin is much better suited to batting number 4 than opening and he should slip down the order to number 4 for Wellington in FC. Ultimately towards the latter part of his career I can even see him being a number 5. A bit too much flair to be an opener. Case in point in his first innings hitting a six when he had only had 3 or 4 runs to his name. Sort of play that no opener would do but a number 4 or 5 might. No doubt you have all discussed this already.

2) That Moreki chap. **** me did he bend his back or what for his country. What a lion hearted performance. This was his chance to play for his nation and he gave it 100 percent. He might not have gotten great results but it wasn't for want of effort. He really caught my eye.

3) GP should be six and Blundell 7

4) Don't know what make of Santner despite his three wickets. Will see if he can bowl us to victory in the second dig here which our former famous left arm spinner Dan was never able to do.

5) Is the speed gun accurate in this match. Many of the SA quicks clocking in around 127 kms on some deliveries.

Athlai

Not Terrible
After watching nearly all of this test the only observation I have to contribute to the discussion on Kane is that I observed that between deliveries he likes to garden a lot. FWIW.

Poor attempt at humour

On a serious note I have never seen a batsman coach his younger colleagues as well and as much as Kane does. Whenever tension is building in an over he wanders down and says something encouraging.
I didn’t stand for my own daughters wedding, but I’ll stand for this.

Welcome back mate, hope you’ve been well! Glad to see you

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
6 hundreds in his last 6 tests. Would be nice to keep that strike rate going until the end of the summer.
... Fantastic achievement.

Helped by the fact that Moore dropped him on 47 in the 1st innings & then a sitter on 61 in the 2nd innings.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Good to see you again mate! Will you be at the Basin for the Australia test? Would be great to catch up if you are.
His Royal Heefness

Great to see you!!

I will be there on the Friday only - the rest of the days a sell out I understand. Will you be there on the Friday...are their PMs on cricket web? Feel free to message me if there are.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I do think Kane Williamson is a great batsman and what has happened here doesn't change my opinion, one way or the other. However, please don't tell me that the status of the test match isn't devalued by having a way, way weaker SA team than they would normally chose.

Flem274*

123/5
I do think Kane Williamson is a great batsman and what has happened here doesn't change my opinion, one way or the other. However, please don't tell me that the status of the test match isn't devalued by having a way, way weaker SA team than they would normally chose.
For sure, this is currently a FC team meeting a test team (I think SA will improve as the tour goes on though).

After sending injury crippled and/or not very good teams to SA for 20+ years tho, the shoe being on the other foot feels strange.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Still gotta cash in when you get the opportunity tbf

Flem274*

123/5
With MI Cape Town & Pretoria Capitals not making knock-outs in SA20 they might as well fly over Rickelton, vd Dussen, Verreynne, Linde, E Bosch, Rabada & Dupavillon.
I think SA bowled bloody well given the situation in this game.

They're solid FC pros elevated in one of the hardest eras to go on tour, so I don't expect glorious success. Given SA has selected an attack that is entirely right arm medium except for Brand (a mistake, this FC attack needs variety to challenge a test side), I think they have bowled to what you aim to get from them. They've bowled dry, there have been some very miserly spells and they've found some movement to challenge both edges.

I don't know who else you've got but pairing Paterson and the allrounders with a 140+ bowler and Piedt would be a raise the attack even if the quick and the spinner are a bit worse than the medium pacers. Plus at the Mount you do want a full time spinner. Brand has bowled very well but he's also a batting allrounder.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think SA bowled bloody well given the situation in this game.

They're solid FC pros elevated in one of the hardest eras to go on tour, so I don't expect glorious success. Given SA has selected an attack that is entirely right arm medium except for Brand (a mistake, this FC attack needs variety to challenge a test side), I think they have bowled to what you aim to get from them. They've bowled dry, there have been some very miserly spells and they've found some movement to challenge both edges.

I don't know who else you've got but pairing Paterson and the allrounders with a 140+ bowler and Piedt would be a raise the attack even if the quick and the spinner are a bit worse than the medium pacers. Plus at the Mount you do want a full time spinner. Brand has bowled very well but he's also a batting allrounder.
Yeah, I don't think anyone could have expected much more from them. We've had to be very defensive which has also helped in them not getting mullered but you have to work with what you've got. Dropping Ravindra and Kane with far less runs than they got didn't help our cause.

I'm surprised they didn't go with Piedt, they wanted to lengthen the batting and then still have 3 frontline seamers but it was a mistake. Maybe they were a bit concerned with Fortuin's batting. Conrad said he was chosen on the back of last seasons performances but I think Rudi Second or Sine Qeshile would have been a much better pick.

Nortje, Rabada, Burger, Coetzee, Williams, Dupavillon are our 140-150kph bowlers in SA20 or injured. When you think about it, speed is signed up big time for T20 so we were never going to have that option sadly.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
I am a huge Kane fan so take that into account for what I say next.
Mark Greatbatch after his 8 hour marathon to save a test match with only the tail to support him appeared cooked in the next 6 months and couldn't concentrate for long periods of time afterwards. At least that is how I remember it.
Kane lost his cool in this match and on three occasions attempted massive over the top yahoo shots and got dropped twice on these and caught once. I hope for all of New Zealand's sake it was just purely that he didn't rate the bowling attack he was facing and backed himself to be able to hit them for a mighty six if he wanted to. Ie that it was just the particulars of this game and this circumstance and not that his fantastic powers of concentration are starting to wane.

Flem274*

123/5
He is possibly one of the best ever at it. Utterly remorseless.
Perhaps. He's definitely learnt over time. Back in the day we played SL at home right after a big battle with Aus in 2015 where he made 2 tons over there. We came home for SL and he kept getting out in the 80s batting with his penis.

Contrary to narrative, KW does have an ego in there, and he has thrown it away a lot batting with the penii when he was younger. Still does in ODIs.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Regarding everyone's earlier discussion about the NZ ATG opener and Latham. I would not have him in the conversation but might do in a few years when he sorts how to convert a 50 into a century more frequently.
My contenders for the ATG openers are
Wright
Turner
Edgar - would have had better stats if he hadn't retired early.
Sutcliffe

With Turner being a definite.