• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Probably Venkatesh Prasad belongs in this thread. Was leading test wicket taker in calendar year of 1996. Was the also the CEAT cricketer of the year when he edged past Wasim Akram (fond memories). Had the uncanny knack of bringing out his A game against Pakistan. But was also really toothless for 3/4th of his career.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably Venkatesh Prasad belongs in this thread. Was leading test wicket taker in calendar year of 1996. Was the also the CEAT cricketer of the year when he edged past Wasim Akram (fond memories). Had the uncanny knack of bringing out his A game against Pakistan. But was also really toothless for 3/4th of his career.
Wow. Leading test wicket taker across the world? That's shocking. Totally didn't rate his bowling.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Adam Dale ( Hope not mentioned earlier)
He played his 1st Test when Tendulkar was destroying Australian bowling attack(3rd Test 1998)
He played his 2nd Test (last test) when Lara was destroying Australian bowling attack.(4th Test 1999)

Aus won both the Test he played .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Dale benefited from playing on a lot of grassy Gabba decks in the Shield making him look a lot better than he was (First-class average of 20.75 lol). Would have struggled a lot more on flatter Test wickets which is probably one of the reasons he didn't get picked as much as other Queenslanders like Bichel & Kasprowicz. Or guys like Reiffel & Fleming. Even Scott Muller played a Test ahead of him.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Adam Dale benefited from playing on a lot of grassy Gabba decks in the Shield making him look a lot better than he was (First-class average of 20.75 lol). Would have struggled a lot more on flatter Test wickets which is probably one of the reasons he didn't get picked as much as other Queenslanders like Bichel & Kasprowicz. Or guys like Reiffel & Fleming. Even Scott Muller played a Test ahead of him.
Was pretty decent in ODIs from what I remember, would bowl almost military mediums stump-to-stump with a hint of outswing. Though I think he was the beneficiary of Gillespie, Fleming, McGrath not always being available due to injury. For a few years before Brett Lee arrived, Australia's white ball attack seemed to be pretty line-and-length focused as opposed to speed.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he was real slow. Surprised he was as useful in ODIs as he was. These days he would get massacred

Sunil1z

International Regular
Has Nayan Mongia been mentioned before ?
He was MoM in the 1st Border Gavaskar Trophy match for scoring 152 .

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Has Nayan Mongia been mentioned before ?
He was MoM in the 1st Border Gavaskar Trophy match for scoring 152 .
Think he has, but not a “guy” by the definition of this thread. Definitely belongs in the conversation of best glovemen in the 90s, though his batting was too unreliable for my liking.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Whenever he's mentioned I just remember Ganguly's weird fascination with him :laugh:

At one point his international career was totally done and he'd have been about 20th in line at best, and Ganguly hopped on commentary and casually said he should be first picked in both Tests and ODIs. So good.
I think he was talking about Dinda being a good option for tests(I may be wrong). And he was tbf coz he was a pretty quick, hit-the-deck bowler when he started getting some limelight in 2008(thanks to the IPL). Even Ponting had said that he was very skiddy after facing him in the nets for KKR and I guess it was him who insisted on giving him a contract.

Dinda was drafted in the white ball teams which was weird coz he wasn't really cut-out for white ball cricket. It would've been interesting to see him in tests.