• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Ponting make an Aussie all-time XI?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not long ago someone picked an all time Aussie XI with all six in it on the grounds that all Aussie openers are unworthy. I can’t remember which two were opening.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Not long ago someone picked an all time Aussie XI with all six in it on the grounds that all Aussie openers are unworthy. I can’t remember which two were opening.
You wouldn't want to move Bradman, so you'd probably move Ponting to 1. Not sure who the other opener would be from that crowd - I'd assume you want to keep the guy averaging 60.00 in his favoured position too. Waugh was best much lower down so you'd keep him there.

Ponting
?
Border
Smith
Border/Chappell
Waugh/Border

Sunil1z

International Regular
Not a bad idea tbh. If Dravid could open in Asia 11 , Ponting could also open in Australia 11.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Chappell
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Lillee
Mcgrath

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
My top 6 for Australia would be:
Hayden
Lawry
Bradman
Chappell
Smith
Ponting

It's obviously tough to leave Waugh and Border out but for me Ponting edges them out.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
#3 and #4 are taken by Bradman and Smith. At #5, Border and Waugh are among the best ever. It's indeed tricky. The opening spot is where Australia ATG XI has always looked weak. Does it make sense to have Ponting open?