• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Estraya weren't very good in ODIs till about 99 I think.
Made the WC final in 96 Tbf. But they got better once Taylor was dispensed with & Healy made way for Gilchrist. Basically changed everything.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mad edge WC final in 96 Tbf. But they got better once Taylor was dispensed with & Healy made way for Gilchrist. Basically changed everything.
Local knowledge played a big part in Australia's loss in the final due to the dew. Given the choice again I think Taylor would have bowled first. Honestly, why wouldn't you bowl first with Bevan in your side.

Gob

International Coach
I've always fantasised about AT Aust OD side taking on the ROW side. 3 games to be played in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney with retro kits and Ch 9 old commentary. Thinking about the intro alone gives me goosebumps. Anyway the teams are

Aus

Gilchrist +
Hayden
Ponting *
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Watson
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

ROW

Gayle
Tendulkar
Richards *
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Akram
Ambrose
Bond
Muralidaran

I'd kiss my sister to watch this. Anyone know the easiest way to sim?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Local knowledge played a big part in Australia's loss in the final due to the dew. Given the choice again I think Taylor would have bowled first. Honestly, why wouldn't you bowl first with Bevan in your side.
Australia were so lucky to get through their 1/4 and semifinal. 3 escapes in a row to win the tournament would have been undeserved.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always fantasised about AT Aust OD side taking on the ROW side. 3 games to be played in Adelaide, Perth and Sydney with retro kits and Ch 9 old commentary. Thinking about the intro alone gives me goosebumps. Anyway the teams are

Aus

Gilchrist +
Hayden
Ponting *
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Watson
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

ROW

Gayle
Tendulkar
Richards *
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Akram
Ambrose
Bond
Muralidaran

I'd kiss your sister to watch it too

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Aus

Gilchrist +
Hayden
Ponting *
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Watson
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath

ROW

Gayle
Tendulkar
Richards *
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Akram
Ambrose
Bond
Muralidaran

If one plays Australia then a seond spinner is needed. Saqlain fits the bill nicely, or even Rashid Khan.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The openers choice for ROW is poor. Gayle, Jayasuriya, Sehwag, all average < 30 in Australia. Rohit Sharma averages 89 in Australia against Australia. So he is the obvious choice. Desomnd Haynes averages 34, Dilshan 33, Amla 39 and G. Kirsten 36.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Harris averaged 50 with the bat, 28 with the ball (economical too) and a gun fielder vs Aus in Aus when they were the best in the world.

Gob

International Coach
The openers choice for ROW is poor. Gayle, Jayasuriya, Sehwag, all average < 30 in Australia. Rohit Sharma averages 89 in Australia against Australia. So he is the obvious choice. Desomnd Haynes averages 34, Dilshan 33, Amla 39 and G. Kirsten 36.
I concentrated more on the players who performed against the dominant side. Kohli, DeVilliers and Richards were exceptions obviously

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There is no one from the ROW side who would make way for Chris Harris
Flintoff. Gives you more variety in your bowling and improves the fielding (apart from Viv and ABDV the fielding is a bit average). Or even pick Collingwood (who won England the 2007 tri series) instead of Flintoff.

Gob

International Coach
Flintoff. Gives you more variety in your bowling and improves the fielding (apart from Viv and ABDV the fielding is a bit average). Or even pick Collingwood (who won England the 2007 tri series) instead of Flintoff.
Only way Harris's bowling is going to add more variety to this attack is by its being mediocre where Flintoff's bowling is actually good like all the other ROW bowlers so yes in that sense there will be a variety of four very good bowlers and someone I'd like to face

Again you'd have to ask the Australian players who'd they rather see in the opposition, Flintoff or Harris

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff averaged 57.71 with the ball in ODIs vs Oz in Australia (41.83 for England and 153.00 for the ICC World XI). You might need to make Viv your 5th bowler and Flintoff your 6th.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Flintoff averaged 57.71 with the ball in ODIs vs Oz in Australia (41.83 for England and 153.00 for the ICC World XI). You might need to make Viv your 5th bowler and Flintoff your 6th.
I just like you to say in a straight face that Chris mother ****ing Harris is going to do a better job with the ball than Andrew Flintoff

Jeez talking about using stats mindlessly

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he would. He'd choke the batting in the middle overs. You need guys who take the pace off the ball on Australian pitches in ODIs for variety. That's why Australia persevered for so long with Ian Harvey because they were trying to find their own Chris Harris, but there was only one Harry. Vettori and Murali were the only ICC World XI bowlers who were decent in the ODIs vs Australia because they could choke batting in the middle overs and take pace off, and your side needs an inner ring with Harris along with Viv and AVDV to the fielding to compete with the likes of Ponting and Symonds.

Fielding included he was the best ODI allrounder between end of Kapil/Imran and start of Jayasuriya/Klusener/Pollock.

I'm tempted to pick Harris ahead of Cairns in an AT NZ ODI team because Harris was a better bowler and fielder, although Cairns was a better ODI batsman. Oram was the best bowler of the 3 mind you, but the worst batsman.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Yes he would. He'd choke the batting in the middle overs. You need guys who take the pace off the ball on Australian pitches in ODIs for variety. That's why Australia persevered for so long with Ian Harvey because they were trying to find their own Chris Harris, but there was only one Harry. Vettori and Murali were the only ICC World XI bowlers who were decent in the ODIs vs Australia because they could choke batting in the middle overs and take pace off, and your side needs an inner ring with Harris along with Viv and AVDV to the fielding to compete with the likes of Ponting and Symonds.
Taking the pace off and bowling dibbly dobblies won't add variety to anything ffs. Chris Harris was the epitome of bits and pieces cricketer albeit probably being the greatest bits and pieces cricker of all time but when you have the luxury of choosing any non Australian cricketer in your side, you'd actually go for someone who is actually good at one discipline.
Ftr Flintoff was one of the most underrated ODI bowlers of all time and one of the few that Australian side actually feared. I wasn't aware of his poor record in Australia but that does not mean he is not going to be more threatening than jogging in and bowling right arm military medium pies at 120 kmph. Ftr Murali got belted by Australia in Australia many times but you'd still pick him.

Again its opinions and what not but suggesting Chris Harris is a better bowling option than Andrew Flintoff against Australia is one of the most ludicrous things ive heard in this forum in my time here.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Actually pick Klusener instead of Flintoff if you want someone at 7 who can hit from ball one. Klusener is the 2nd best ODI no 7 (behind Hussey) I've ever seen and a decent bowler. Flintoff would take a while to get going.

Gob

International Coach
this is fantastic stuff from fuller pilch here. gob bit hard.
I'm sorry I don't get triggered much by any cricket related things these days but I loathe bits and pieces cricketers

Btw here's a video of Chris Harris choking runs in the middle overs