• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Sri Lanka 2021

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have a pretty decent crop of bowlers imo, and they could be a real threat abroad if all are fit. I like how their bowlers might compliment each other in different conditions i.e Shanaka/Lakmal looks ideal for England, whereas Kumara looks like he could really prosper in Aus/SA

It's actually quite a well-rounded attack as they have genuine pace and bounce (Kumara, Chameera) good fast medium swing and seam (Vishwa/Asitha Fernando) a very good line bowler (Lakmal) and a skillful medium-paced swing bowler (Shanaka)

Also Embuldeniya, Dilruwan and Hasaranga is a reasonable spin trio

cnerd123

likes this
I don't really rate Dilruwan and Hasaranga but I suppose they look alright when compared to spin bowling stocks of other nations. Aesthetically pleasing spinners but not consistent.

cnerd123

likes this
Dharmasena has given this so it's definitely not out
I suspect he gave it out because he know Butler would review.

Sometimes I feel he makes these decisions knowing that it will be reviewed, which ultimately means getting the right decision made, but at the expense of his reputation as an umpire. If umpires were given freedom to use technology for anything they wanted, he might send most of his decisions upstairs.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect he gave it out because he know Butler would review.

Sometimes I feel he makes these decisions knowing that it will be reviewed, which ultimately means getting the right decision made, but at the expense of his reputation as an umpire. If umpires were given freedom to use technology for anything they wanted, he might send most of his decisions upstairs.
What reputation?

DriveClub

International Regular
How much does England need to get here? I think they need at least a 100 run lead otherwise there'll be a lot of pressure in the 4th innings chasing. And they didn't look good chasing 75 in the last test

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How much does England need to get here? I think they need at least a 100 run lead otherwise there'll be a lot of pressure in the 4th innings chasing. And they didn't look good chasing 75 in the last test
Yeah they definitely shouldn't even be thinking about accelerating beyond normal batting mode until they lead by 100 IMO. I don't think they should be banking on themselves scroing any real runs in the second dig - score them now.

cnerd123

likes this
Until this partnership I wasn't even sure if England could even get close to the score. Root was batting on a different pitch to everyone else.

SL have improved markedly after that terrible 1st innings with the bat. Bowling has become more disciplined. Hope they can win this and draw the series tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems to be a difference of opinion between Athers and every other comm on the pronunciation of "Embuldeniya".

Nass, Key, Ward and Bumble have all settled on "em-bull-den-ee-ah" but Atherton has gone for "em-bull-deny-er".