Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Double Match Day - NZ v Sri Lanka (27th Sept)

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    That was a Bracewell idea. Though Bracewell let him play his natural game, Moles has told him to be a classic OD opener and has had pretty moderate success. I mean we get frustrated but 40 is better than 0. Would prefer him to play his natural game though
    When Bracewell was in charge McCullum averaged 40 odd when opening (His second go at opening) I mean what kind of idiot would try and make or tell McCullum to bat like a classic opener.

The guy just isn't good enough period. I can't believe he is now a selector too
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Mathews is a naggingly good bowler, it must be said.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Moles is an interesting coach but IMO besides Broom this is one of our strongest lineups in years.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Moles is an interesting coach but IMO besides Broom this is one of our strongest lineups in years.
    That might be true but I still don't rate the NZ batting. It is highly dependent on 2 players and they are not going to succeed every time.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    That was a Bracewell idea. Though Bracewell let him play his natural game, Moles has told him to be a classic OD opener and has had pretty moderate success. I mean we get frustrated but 40 is better than 0. Would prefer him to play his natural game though
    To be fair though, when he was batting around number seven with success there was much advocation for him to be promoted up the order so his talent wasn't wasted when the overs ran out at the end of an innings - plus he's proven at domestic level how devestating he can be when he gets momentum, remembering the 170-odd for Otago against Auckland in a domestic semi-final or final. Whilst Bracewell might've been behind executing the decision it wasn't as though it was an altogether unpopular one at the time IMO (although obviously there were those who argued he was better to remain down the order).

Broom isn't the problem. Give him half a chance (like today) and he'll put a score on the board.

I would like to see how Ross Taylor's career would have gone if he was made to play his first 10-15 games at 6-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    That might be true but I still don't rate the NZ batting. It is highly dependent on 2 players and they are not going to succeed every time.
    Guptill, Ryder, Taylor, McCullum and Elliott are all good limited overs batsman.

A fit (that still had knees) Styris or McMillan would make this a pretty gun outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    To be fair though, when he was batting around number seven with success there was much advocation for him to be promoted up the order so his talent wasn't wasted when the overs ran out at the end of an innings - plus he's proven at domestic level how devestating he can be when he gets momentum, remembering the 170-odd for Otago against Auckland in a domestic semi-final or final. Whilst Bracewell might've been behind executing the decision it wasn't as though it was an altogether unpopular one at the time IMO (although obviously there were those who argued he was better to remain down the order).
    Just for the record I think he should open.

Guptill, Ryder, Taylor, McCullum and Elliott are all good limited overs batsman.

A fit (that still had knees) Styris or McMillan would make this a pretty gun outfit.
    McCullum is not making runs except very slowly.

Guptill and Elliott are not proven yet though I do rate Guptill

It is largely dependent on Taylor and Ryder the way I see it as it stands right now.
    Last edited by Pratters; 27-09-2009 at 03:54 AM.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Broom isn't the problem. Give him half a chance (like today) and he'll put a score on the board.
    I'll be interested to see what happens today and hope he does well, but he just doesn't look good enough. Like, he basically struggles to get bat on ball, even against Jayasuriya and Kandamby. From my POV the criticism of Broom is simply because, watching him bat, he doesn't look the part.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Why on Earth is Kandamby bowling btw? What's the rationale there. Surely they have enough overs in the other 6 bowlers to not need him.

That was soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    McCullum can't make runs except very slowly. I think there is a fair enough argument that he plays the sheet anchor role though as there is no one to do that for NZ (Vettori apparently isn't good enough).

Guptill and Elliott are not proven yet though I do rate Guptill

It is largely dependent on Taylor and Ryder the way I see it as it stands right now.
    Not proven? Both Guptill and Elliott have almost the same amount of runs as Ryder.

Haha oh well. Looks like Broom does suck

We are probably the worst team at this tournament.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    And now broom goes as well...

Its time to send some Kiwis officials to SAF.....go get some fine talent! You dont have anything left in Kiwiland it seems!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information