Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 249

Thread: Sachin reacts to the presentation

  1. #121
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,950
    It's a pretty clear example IMO, but the point is more that people jump at every opportunity to have a go at him, whether he's done anything wrong or not. There's various examples where Ponting had been widely criticised when he's not really done anything wrong, or what he's done "wrong" is totally understandable and would be done by any captain in a similar situation.

    Along with the catching issue, there's also the absurd chain of events in Bangladesh that led to him being fined his match fee for dissent. The fine was fair enough because he did effectively complain about a decision, but on here and in various parts of the media both online and off Ponting was criticised far beyond the bounds of what he actually did, accused of bending the rules for the benefit of his team, abusing umpires and so on. All because he complained to the on-field umpire about a completely absurd decision from the third umpire and eventually got it (correctly) reversed. The on-field umpires even said at the match referee's hearing later that Ponting never abused them or asked them to reverse the decision, he just basically queried what the hell was going on, as it was clearly out on the replay.

    The fine was perfectly acceptable, but if any other captain with the possible exception of Smith had done the same thing people certainly wouldn't have attacked them for it in the same way, let alone attacked the entire team in the process.

    The latest example is, of course, this one we're discussing in this thread.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  2. #122
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,738
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    The latest example is, of course, this one we're discussing in this thread.
    Example of people criticising Ponting when he acts decently, or example of people criticising Ponting when they shouldn't be?

    What you're doing now is changing your statement, and you may say its minor but its not. People who are criticising Ponting (and the Australian team) in this thread may be wrong in your mind, my mind and many other people's minds, and you may see it as people jumping at the chance to stick a knee into Ponting, but no one is actually having a go at Ponting for saying he'll apologise if necessary (the 'decent' thing he's doing).

    I just think your statement; "[e]ven when Ponting does something decent people have a go at him about it" to be just plain inaccurate, and is an attempt to make all those who criticise Ponting to be seen as blood-sucking Ponting bashers, who will somehow find a way to bag Ponting even if he gives money to the poor.

    What Ponting did in Bangladesh was stupid, what he was arguing about was correct, but he deserved to get fined, and everytime he gets fined the media will eat it up, because it happens so often with this man. Its just like Ponting was right in saying that the wide given against the WI wasn't actually a wide, but crying about it was wrong, and he got fined for it. Him describing the decision to bring Tendulkar back as a disgrace whilst on the field may have been the right description, but saying it to the umpire wasn't, and the media ate it up as well.

    I'm not defending the media here either, because they do blow Ponting's crying incidents up, but he still does these things, and if he stops it they'll probably stop writing about it. Atapattu didn't get much crud written about him when he was captain, neither does Dravid (regarding his behaviour, he does get criticised for his decisions and tema's performance obviously) and I don't recall anyone laying the boots into Pollock when he was captain either. Ponting must be doing something to attract all this attention, and its not acting 'decently', that's for sure.
    Last edited by Jono; 08-11-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #123
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,950
    Fair enough, perhaps I worded it wrong, but I'm including incidents where Ponting actually does the right thing and is criticised, as well as where he does nothing significant wrong and gets criticised. I was attempting to cover both in the original wording. The "hypocritical" decision not to walk is a perfect example of this, because if Ponting hadn't attempted to arrange the deal with the other captains in the first place, which he presumably did because he thought it was the right thing to do for all teams and officials, he never could have been accused of being a hypocrite for not walking on a dodgy catch claim.

    Incidentally, I disagree with your comparison between the Bangladesh incident and (say) the wide call. The wide call was silly and petty and he never should have bothered making a scene about it. The third umpire call in Bangladesh was a serious case of miscommunication between the umpires and never should have happened. It wasn't even simply a poor decision, it was a serious mistake on the part of all the umpires and there was no excuse for it, and Ponting did precisely the right thing in (apparently politely) querying what was going on. If he hadn't, he would have been doing his team a disservice. If he'd made a big song and dance and carried on like an idiot some level of criticism would be justified, but the way people went on about it was absurdly over the top.

    Complaining about the wide was in itself doing his team a disservice, because he was effectively having a tantrum over an insignificant error on the umpire's part. The same would go for complaining about an LBW call or whatever. I've got no problem with people having a go about Ponting over things like that, or even his Gary Pratt run out tantrum, but it does get a bit annoying when he's getting criticised over nothing all the time.

  4. #124
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Wow, why is this thread 9 pages long? I just watched the video and all I can think is 'WTF? That's it?' Don't people have other things to get upset over?

    Oh, and that picture of the donkey is an absolute all time gem. The people in it look like 'uhh..right, so now what do we do with the donkey?'

    And it wasn't even really a push. Indian media is making it sound like Martyn pushed him into the ground and the entire team started pummeling his face or something (which would have been hilarious IMO).

    Ponting shouldn't have to apologize in my opinion, this is such a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing


  5. #125
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    I believe Kapil killed one of those birds (I was too sure it was a pigeon earlier.) while batting by one of his shots and was really shaken up by it. (It is a big deal to kill anything for most normal Indians.) And so he asked for some water from the dressing room, but AB (behaving like the jerk he is) refused it and asked him to get on with the game.
    He was shaken up because he killed a pigeon? WTF?

    If I saw an opposing batsmen being deeply affected by the death of a pigeon, I'd have enough sledging material to last a lifetime. And I'd make him bat on too. Water?

    Oh man, I really hope thats not true, because I hold Kapil Dev as one of my heroes.

  6. #126
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    He was shaken up because he killed a pigeon? WTF?

    If I saw an opposing batsmen being deeply affected by the death of a pigeon, I'd have enough sledging material to last a lifetime. And I'd make him bat on too. Water?

    Oh man, I really hope thats not true, because I hold Kapil Dev as one of my heroes.
    Uh dude WTF? You are batting and you hit a pigeon and it won't upset you even a little bit? I mean isn't the pigeon a living creature? Doesn't it deserve to live. And btw as far as I know, it did actually happen once.

  7. #127
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,738
    SilentStriker, its different for you because you'll sledge your own kid the minute he comes out of the womb.

  8. #128
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Uh dude WTF? You are batting and you hit a pigeon and it won't upset you even a little bit?
    Only if hitting that pigeon stopped a boundry. Then I'd be upset. Otherwise, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Doesn't it deserve to live.
    Why? If Pigeon meat was any good, I'd be shooting em left and right.

  9. #129
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    SilentStriker, its different for you because you'll sledge your own kid the minute he comes out of the womb.
    Nah, mate. I'll be at a cricket game while he's being born. But if I ever play in a team opposite him, I'll have embarrassing pictures ready and broadcast his bed-wetting habits through a bullhorn.

  10. #130
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Only if hitting that pigeon stopped a boundry. Then I'd be upset. Otherwise, no.



    Why? If Pigeon meat was any good, I'd be shooting em left and right.
    Cruel.

  11. #131
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Cruel.
    Not really. I hunt quite often. Mostly deer and things of that nature, and they die a lot quicker with me than most animals do at a slaughterhouse.

  12. #132
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,760
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D
    You might have missed the DLF incident with Sachin and all.
    Ponting sure acted like his usual idiotic self there.
    I was talking about the Harmison to Ponting incident. Ponting hasn`t spoken a word about it. Nice try at being intelligent though.
    Jesus saves

    proudly supporting Liverpool FC

  13. #133
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I was talking about the Harmison to Ponting incident. Ponting hasn`t spoken a word about it. Nice try at being intelligent though.
    But I think what was being referred to was when Ponting was last hit on the head by Srinath, he cracked it when Srinath went up to him.

    Ponting mentioning it after the fact is fairly irrelevant to the original person's comment.

  14. #134
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,118
    Stop fueling this ridiculous thread.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  15. #135
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I was talking about the Harmison to Ponting incident. Ponting hasn`t spoken a word about it. Nice try at being intelligent though.
    And you accuse others of being aggresive ?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Who is Better--- Sachin or Gangs???
    By quick4mindia in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 24-04-2006, 02:58 PM
  2. Sachin at the End of his Career
    By ajnas_khan2000 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 05:57 AM
  4. If YOU were Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar....(It's Tough Being Him)
    By masterblaster in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •