• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Swing

rabbit

Cricket Spectator
I want to discuss whether ball tampering still exists till now. I have seen wasim akram, waqar, shoaib,and many pakistanis along with ganguly scratching the ball. but recently hvent seen any one do that.

does it still exist

Bouncer

State Regular
firstly i dont know what u r asking, are u asking if ball tamering still exists or reverse swing?......if it was about reverse swing, then just look at my avtar.... :D

Waughney

International Debutant
Players still throw the ball deliberately across the ground to scuff the ball up, but that's not ball tampering. Reverse swing is everywhere.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid's style and technique is so distinct, it's so obvious that's him in the avatar. I think its Akhtar bowling, but it could be Waqar.

Sudeep

International Captain
That definately is Shoaib Akhtar bowling. And if I'm not wrong, the ball played in the avatar was followed by another yorker, which found Sachin's stumps...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
rabbit said:
I want to discuss whether ball tampering still exists till now. I have seen wasim akram, waqar, shoaib,and many pakistanis along with ganguly scratching the ball. but recently hvent seen any one do that.

does it still exist
If anyone seriously thinks they've eliminated ball-tampering they're kidding themselves as much as anyone who thinks they've eliminated match-fixing or terrorism.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bouncer said:
firstly i dont know what u r asking, are u asking if ball tamering still exists or reverse swing?......if it was about reverse swing, then just look at my avtar.... :D
That's an awesome amount of swing with a 4 piece ball! (Not saying it can't be done by the way, just that it's very impressive!) Fleming used to swing in considerably at times too, just not at the same pace (that's Damien not Stephen, haha - a blast from the past).

Reverse swing is created by applying saliva to the shiny side of the ball late in the innings isn't it? At least that was what I was taught.

biased indian

International Coach
Sudeep said:
That definately is Shoaib Akhtar bowling. And if I'm not wrong, the ball played in the avatar was followed by another yorker, which found Sachin's stumps...
and it happened at Eden gardens calcutta during the asian test championship

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
biased indian said:
and it happened at Eden gardens calcutta during the asian test championship
there is nothing greater or exciting then this sort of bowling....those deliveries that Akhtar bowled to get rid of Dravid and Sachin at Eden Gardens in 1999. It just blows your mind away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie_beater said:
there is nothing greater or exciting then this sort of bowling....those deliveries that Akhtar bowled to get rid of Dravid and Sachin at Eden Gardens in 1999. It just blows your mind away.
Doesn't have to be reverse-swing to be exciting. :p
Inswinging Yorkers, along with huge off-breaks, are about the most thrilling dismissal around.
Though I'll always like the perfectly-pitched away-swingers, whether they flick the edge or the off-stump.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
That's an awesome amount of swing with a 4 piece ball! (Not saying it can't be done by the way, just that it's very impressive!) Fleming used to swing in considerably at times too, just not at the same pace (that's Damien not Stephen, haha - a blast from the past).

Reverse swing is created by applying saliva to the shiny side of the ball late in the innings isn't it? At least that was what I was taught.
Any swing is created by applying any form of polish - saliva and rub, sweat and rub, etc. You can use anything, long as it's "natural substance" (but that actually means human-produced substance, given that there's nothing unnatural about dust).
Early on, with one side really shiny and the other less so, you'll get conventional-swing (the ball goes in the opposite direction to the shiny side); later, with one shiny and one scuffed side, you'll get reverse-swing (the ball goes in the same direction as the shiny side).
Of course, the outfield is allowed to scuff the ball up, but you're not allowed to "speed it up" by rubbing stuff on. You're even allowed to throw the ball in, hard, into the dust, just not bend down and rub it there.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Doesn't have to be reverse-swing to be exciting. :p
Inswinging Yorkers, along with huge off-breaks, are about the most thrilling dismissal around.
Though I'll always like the perfectly-pitched away-swingers, whether they flick the edge or the off-stump.
agreed. inswinging yorkers are equally awesome, but the thrill about very well directed and extremely fast reverse swing of the Akhtar variety(when he manages to bowl one), is that the batsman is totally caught unawares and in most cases doesn't have a clue.In that Avatar, look at the batsman(most likely Rahul Dravid)....he is totally clueless.Not saying that a very well directed fast inswinging yorker cannot bring about a similar look on a batsman's face, but that look is like "damn that was fast" :surprise: :surprise: .... and in the reverse swing case its like "damn ! what the &*^% was that" :unsure: :unsure:

from_da_lost_di

School Boy/Girl Captain
aussie_beater said:
agreed. inswinging yorkers are equally awesome, but the thrill about very well directed and extremely fast reverse swing of the Akhtar variety(when he manages to bowl one), is that the batsman is totally caught unawares and in most cases doesn't have a clue.In that Avatar, look at the batsman(most likely Rahul Dravid)....he is totally clueless.Not saying that a very well directed fast inswinging yorker cannot bring about a similar look on a batsman's face, but that look is like "damn that was fast" :surprise: :surprise: .... and in the reverse swing case its like "damn ! what the &*^% was that" :unsure: :unsure:
bulls eye ! :D