• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do SC Pacers Deserve More Credit For Home Performances?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why ?
You think Warne, Ponting wouldn’t have improved their average if they had been Indian ?
I never said that lol. Just that if we want to assume Kapil’s poor English record would improve we should also assume Botham’s already good Indian record would also improve. And then of course he would get even more bonus points for having an ATG record as an Indian pacer in India, thus proving once and for all he is indeed the better bowler.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I never said that lol. Just that if we want to assume Kapil’s poor English record would improve we should also assume Botham’s already good Indian record would also improve. And then of course he would get even more bonus points for having an ATG record as an Indian pacer in India, thus proving once and for all he is indeed the better bowler.
Man, that's such a stupid argument..... I said Kapil's English record improve, as would say anyone with a bit of critical thinking. Do you think had Botham been Caribbean, his record won't improve? Or that Kapil's already great record would had improved significantly; clearing ones and for all who is the better bowler?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Man, that's such a stupid argument..... I said Kapil's English record improve, as would say anyone with a bit of critical thinking. Do you think had Botham been Caribbean, his record won't improve? Or that Kapil's already great record would had improved significantly; clearing ones and for all who is the better bowler?
No, I just think the whole argument is stupid.

Slifer

International Captain
Then he shouldn’t be rated in top 15 batsmen.
It is a mistake people rate him higher then Gavaskar, Kallis and Dravid .
If they faced the same level of bowling in South Africa and Australia then yeah. But they didn't. If either had absurd series vs challenging attacks like Lara did in '99 vs Australia or 2001 in SL then yes. I rate Lara below Sachin precisely for their away record and below a few others for the same reason. If you feel he's outside the top 15, I'm not going losing any sleep over that. I know you didn't say that and I get your point....

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Even besides the fact that we're talking about Asian pacers in general, not just pakistani, and not just the ATG ones, the bolded part isn't even true. Wasim has basically no difference in his numbers whether he plays home or away, or in Asia vs outside Asia.

I just dont think that approach of analyzing this is valid. We can pretty easily observe how bowler friendly surfaces are while watching and I think its generally accepted that pitches in Asia are are less conducive to pace bowling pretty much by design.
Collectively, as well as in terms of their home bowling being 'tougher conditions than away', which would make their home records better in relation. None of the other ATGs are Asian (until Bumrah has been playing a bit longer at least).

I'm talking about Pak bowlers specifically on this. The pitch disadvantage other Asian quicks were at is too clear to bother discuss much.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I have forgotten how to do it but can someone post Botham’s average in matches not involving Bob Willis who I believe was the superior bowler. IIRC it was 35 with a decent sample size .

subshakerz

International Coach
Collectively, as well as in terms of their home bowling being 'tougher conditions than away', which would make their home records better in relation. None of the other ATGs are Asian (until Bumrah has been playing a bit longer at least).

I'm talking about Pak bowlers specifically on this. The pitch disadvantage other Asian quicks were at is too clear to bother discuss much.
Your hidden assumption is that 'SC bowlers need to be below worldclass level for us to consider pitch conditions difficult'.

Slifer

International Captain
No , it isn’t. Anderson was once averaging 35. But after consistent hardwork he has brought his bowling average down to 26 . Similarly had Kapil played in England has home venue , he definitely would have brought his average down to 30 .
But then how would he do in India (of his time) vs a batting lineup better than England's?

Sunil1z

International Regular
But then how would he do in India (of his time) vs a batting lineup better than England's?
But why are we fixing the debate only to 2 countries to determine who is superior?
Does anyone consider Kumble superior to Warne because he outperformed Warne in both IND and AUS .

subshakerz

International Coach
Vaas averages 26 at home, Srinath averages 26 at home, Kapil averages 26 at home.

Lets be frank, are any of these bowlers treated as if facing a better-than-decent threat in these conditions? We would rate Flintoff in England better based on his mini peak despite him average 10 points higher with the ball at home.

Slifer

International Captain
We already know, he averages 26 there.
We actually don't because he wouldn't have faced the Indian batting there and he's English now which means India is totally foreign to him. He'd be bowling in conditions he's not used to being that he's English now. Do i think Devs average may go down in England had he been English? Very likely but conversely his average in India would likely go up.

Slifer

International Captain
We already know, he averages 26 there.
Here's a logical question given the following pool of bowlers and considering only bowling who would be your 3 picks for an atg xi assuming that team would be playing worldwide:
Ambrose, Imran, Wasim, Hadlee, McGrath, Steyn, Lillee, Donald, Trueman, Marshall. I'm picking Marshall, McGrath and Hadlee. Who are you picking Subz?