• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

Is Ravichandran Ashwin an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Btw, I agree with everything except the bit others have highlighted.

Ashwin has been better in Aus than Ponting was in India tbh. Ashwin was a key member of India's crucial wins in Australia in both 2018 and 2020. Ofcourse there were several players who were critical to India's success there but he was definitely one of those players. Ponting played no great part in India, although he did play well enough there in later years.
We can split hairs but as far as I concerned, the main point is that Ashwin's record in Australia can't be considered admissable for ATG standards.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HB is always mad at you.
I am mad he keeps posting even when the other posters do not wish to engage with him. He will keep quoting you even when you stop engaging. Like I said, I have no idea what sort of modding is needed to not see it is a very clear example of where forum atmosphere rule is warranted.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
We can split hairs but as far as I concerned, the main point is that Ashwin's record in Australia can't be considered admissable for ATG standards.
If we ignore 2011 and 2014, then it can be. I believe he is a borderline ATG as a bowler.

It also depends on people's definition of ATG. For me, an All-Time Great is one who could have conceivably adapted to another era and played high quality of cricket then too.

Do I think Ashwin could have done well in another era, I think so. He could have been India's match winner in another era too. He has shown enough skill and versatility and improvement for me to believe so. He is a thinking cricketer who is always learning and growing.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I am applying a consistent performance rating, and is not calling Ashwin better than Ponting. But both of those things are true. Ponting failed in some pretty flat pitches against some pretty mediocre attacks; his last two series are decent at best. I won't really argue with you anymore if you really think the fact that Ashwin genuinely won India games in Australia against pitches very unsuitable for off spinners and overall the 10 matches he played he outperformed the opposing team's best spinner is equal to Ponting in India.
As for England, I would still put Ponting fair bit ahead, mostly due to the 156 in 2005; but really, he played some mid attacks there and should had performed better and his average is flattering him a bit. Ashwin bowled perfectly fine as a support bowler in England.
A support bowler being an ATG is interesting.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
@honestbharani @Socerer 01 @Xix2565 why don't you guys live a peaceful life using the ignore button provided by cw?
Ignore button is for losers.

I am mad he keeps posting even when the other posters do not wish to engage with him. He will keep quoting you even when you stop engaging. Like I said, I have no idea what sort of modding is needed to not see it is a very clear example of where forum atmosphere rule is warranted.
Get over it lol. If you don’t want to engage, don’t. He’s not in your face irl forcing you to respond, its an internet forum. You can simply not respond to his posts, even when he specifically quotes you. It makes you look more childish tbh, especially when most of your recent posts focus on attacking a single poster.

Also in all the different forums I’ve visited I’ve noticed calling out the mod team is definitely a surefire way to actually get things moving in your favour :thumbsup:

subshakerz

International Coach
Is it as interesting as classifying Ponting in India ATG though.....
(Oh, on another note, you're on the clock).
Ponting failed in India is my point despite his late good performances which couldn't salvage an overall bad record. And I wanted that same standard applied to Ashwin.

subshakerz

International Coach
Except you take shots at me for the past months and maybe years even when I don't direct any comments at you. You know that. Let's just take it down a notch.

subshakerz

International Coach
I mean, if ashwin isn't an ATG is Cummins right now? Good home record, but averages 27 in England, 33 in india, 29 in nz, and 60 in Sri Lanka on a small sample.

Not saying Cummins or ashwin aren't ATG'S, FYI.
Cummins isn't ATG yet and yes it is contingent on improving his away record.