• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Flem274*

123/5
Sometimes I've wondered if we could use Head as a BazBall opener a la Duckett. Fact is I don't think his ceiling's actually that high. After 160 First Class matches he only averages just over 40, and his test average is now just over 42. With Pucovski all but officially invalided out we're going to be really hard up for openers soon.
Head is lucky enough to play BazBall tho. God loves him, and that is extremely important for a test cricketer.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Sometimes I've wondered if we could use Head as a BazBall opener a la Duckett. Fact is I don't think his ceiling's actually that high. After 160 First Class matches he only averages just over 40, and his test average is now just over 42. With Pucovski all but officially invalided out we're going to be really hard up for openers soon.
He is an absolute gun middle order match winner though, why would you move him

Spark

Global Moderator
This is why I unironically think they might just skip this current generation of openers, maybe giving Renshaw and Bancroft a game or two (and inevitably yanking them when they almost certainly don't put up the required performances), and go to the guys who are currently 19-21yo who I'd say are a little more promising (but that could be youth bias speaking)

thierry henry

International Coach
I rate Head less than most but we’ve started out just trying to york him as if he’s a tailender, which seems a bit simplistic

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Henry is bowling grenades and they bring the keeper up, not very smart. Even if batter comes down I would still back my man to nick / bowl him out.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is why I unironically think they might just skip this current generation of openers, maybe giving Renshaw and Bancroft a game or two (and inevitably yanking them when they almost certainly don't put up the required performances), and go to the guys who are currently 19-21yo who I'd say are a little more promising (but that could be youth bias speaking)
We need those guys to put up the performances at that level though. I mean Konstas for instance doesn't look that great technical. Trouble is we have only six teams and old fossils like Hughes clogging up the works.

King Kane

International Debutant
Not sure about the wisdom of this tactic of Blundell standing up to the stumps to Henry with his pace.

He's standing back now to Head at least.

Spark

Global Moderator
We need those guys to put up the performances at that level though. I mean Konstas for instance doesn't look that great technical. Trouble is we have only six teams and old fossils like Hughes clogging up the works.
I agree, but that's why I think they're going to try and hang on with the current squad plus one or two others for as long as possible and pray that one of them comes good

social

You can see middle stump on the replay though and his head position is outside the line of the ball even before it moves off the deck. Great nut but any movement from there and he's screwed, as he was
Yep

Technique is all over the place and the fact that he’s continually reviewing balls which are crashing into the stumps tells you that he’s lost off stump

That one was absolutely plumb & Uzi should have sent him on his way

Starfighter

Yeah that really should hang over their heads as an asterisk (except from Nortje); they were absolutely putrid
TBH I didn't think Nortje actually bowled that well, lightning quick but often a bit short, and not sure why he was given the new ball over Jansen when he bowled much better when it was a bit older. Rabada's bowling was shameful and his series figures immensely flattering.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These NZ games make for such great second innings comebacks. Great stuff from the kiwis to come back into this. Finally showing some bottle against Australia.