• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
That was a trend I noticed a while ago, and I do wonder if young batsmen are being encouraged to give the gloves a go so that they've got another string to their bow to potentially aid their selection. They don't necessarily have to be a full-time keeper, but being able to keep in an emergency just might get them the nod over someone who can't keep at all.

It can make selection a bit trickier though. Ideally you'd want the best keeper to be selected but if someone's got quite as good a keeper but is a better batsman then would the gains in potential runs scored make up for being poorer behind the stumps?
There won't be Richie Ryall & James Foster types again you would think. Ben Foakes maybe but he isn't bad at all with the bat.

Just think unless you make a number of obvious errors you can get by as a keeper now if you making decent runs.

Only have to see now in SA20 with guys like Stubbs, Ferreira & Breetzke keeping that T20 is opening up people's ideas to take the risk.

SeamUp

International Coach
Highest scores by a EP or Warriors batsman

Stubbs just has Eric Rowan in his sights.

UPDATED now with Stubbs going past Eric Rowan.

1. Tristan Stubbs 285* v KZN Inland 2023/24
2. Eric Rowan 284 v Griqualand West 1945/46
3. Ashwell Prince 254 v Titans 2008/09
4. James Bryant 234* v NW 2002/03
5. Eddie Moore 228 v Dolphins 2019/20
6. Lorrie Wilmot 222* v Rhodesia 1965/66
7. John Waite 219 v Griqualand West 1950/51
8. Arno Jacobs 218* v Dolphins 2007/08
9. Phil Amm 214 v Transvaal 1988/89
10. Kepler Wessels 212 v Griqualand West 1991/92

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The batsmen/wk is pretty much set in stone at international level. The question is always how much you can forgo on the wicket keeping part for the batting. What is nice is that if a whole lot of young batsmen keep getting wk experience and help from a young age, the chances of having a decent international wk/bat goes up hugely.

SeamUp

International Coach
When I first saw him I assumed he would be a power hitter that could maybe bowl/wk a bit... his ability to actually bat big in FC innings has been a true surprise and wonderful to see. I think he is an example of a player that has truly benefited from playing with international experience in the T20s.
I was the exact same. It's been a pleasant surprise. He seems to have a bit about him character wise too. Reminds me of KP with how tall he is at the crease and that long reach. Just has those sweeps and scoops from his hockey ability to add.

Marius

International Debutant
Highest scores by a EP or Warriors batsman

Stubbs just has Eric Rowan in his sights.

UPDATED now with Stubbs going past Eric Rowan.

1. Tristan Stubbs 285* v KZN Inland 2023/24
2. Eric Rowan 284 v Griqualand West 1945/46
3. Ashwell Prince 254 v Titans 2008/09
4. James Bryant 234* v NW 2002/03
5. Eddie Moore 228 v Dolphins 2019/20
6. Lorrie Wilmot 222* v Rhodesia 1965/66
7. John Waite 219 v Griqualand West 1950/51
8. Arno Jacobs 218* v Dolphins 2007/08
9. Phil Amm 214 v Transvaal 1988/89
10. Kepler Wessels 212 v Griqualand West 1991/92
Where do you find these stats. A little while ago I was looking at stats for SA FC cricket and Wikipedia and Cricinfo was out of date. I actually updated the Wikipedia page on SA cricket records after De Zorzi got his trip but it's such a mission, it's like low-level coding (to me at least).

SeamUp

International Coach
Where do you find these stats. A little while ago I was looking at stats for SA FC cricket and Wikipedia and Cricinfo was out of date. I actually updated the Wikipedia page on SA cricket records after De Zorzi got his trip but it's such a mission, it's like low-level coding (to me at least).
Cricket archive

Just started up my subscription again. Really is the place for lovers of scorecards like me 😂

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Good to see a batsman showing that determination to get a triple hundred ..
Is that the first triple hundred since Stephen Cook's 390 odd ?

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
WP producing some decent talent recently and keeping them is a good change. Galiem, Ntini (what's happened to him?), Smith, Cohen & Hamza left now, Bedders left and came back & Verreynne only one to stick around the whole time.

Agreed on Smith, very Puttick-esque & has long known how to score big hundreds. Funnily enough Puttick kept a bit as well.

Recently WP got through the schools system. Not sure how far James & Whitehead will go from last SAU19 team.

Smith
Bird
Prince
Kaplan
Mpongwana
Bayoumy
Waqu

Plus also, not sure if you know much but Wesley Bedja looks a find from club cricket? Opening bowler. 5-for last week.
I know zero about Wesley unfortunately. First 5 all playing provincial 4 can make proteas on potential. Last 2 played a few games for wp and James has play a few 4 day games for wp and nw. NTINI IS at tuskars seems outta favor atm. Doesn't get wickets and can't bat so no use .

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
When I first saw him I assumed he would be a power hitter that could maybe bowl/wk a bit... his ability to actually bat big in FC innings has been a true surprise and wonderful to see. I think he is an example of a player that has truly benefited from playing with international experience in the T20s.
I read that he started out as more a 5 day player and not t20 strike rates. He learnt tried to adapt to become t20 player also and better one day player. Now he seems to be working on 4 dayers again.

Marius

International Debutant
By my reckoning Stubbs is now the 13th Saffa to score a 300 in FC cricket.

Others:
- Stephen Cook
- Rilee Rossouw
- Daryll Cullinan
- Terence Lazard
- Graeme Smith*
- Jimmy Cook*
- Barry Richards*
- Hashim Amla
- Eric Rowan
- Andrea Agathangelou
- Marco Marais
- Tony de Zorzi

* Scored in English or Australian domestic cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
By my reckoning Stubbs is now the 13th Saffa to score a 300 in FC cricket.

Others:
- Stephen Cook
- Rilee Rossouw
- Daryll Cullinan
- Terence Lazard
- Graeme Smith*
- Jimmy Cook*
- Barry Richards*
- Hashim Amla
- Eric Rowan
- Andrea Agathangelou
- Marco Marais
- Tony de Zorzi

* Scored in English or Australian domestic cricket.
Agathangelou and Marais semi-pro?

SeamUp

International Coach
Also, are Jimmy and Stephen the first father-son pair to score FC 300s?
Good chance.

Hanif & Shoaib Mohammed were 400+ & 200+

Geoff & Shaun Marsh were 300+ and 200+

Hylton & HD Ackerman were 200+ & 300+

Must be more father and son batsman though.

Last edited: