• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessment of the World Cup

chris.hinton

International Captain
Format was boring. Should never be this format again. We need to have 2 groups at the very least, I'm glad that this will happen in 2027

Teams

India - Making the most of home advantage, But i still think they are very beatable. Their batting has been class
South Africa - Excellent but have the tendency to throw in poor matches, historically they bottle key matches at the World Cup. Time will tell
Australia - Started off like a washed up joke, Ended up cruising into the Semis. Thanks to Maxwell
New Zealand - Batting has been good, Bowling decent but not enough quality and are the weakest of the Semi finalists

Afghanistan - Played really well, Have a young side and it bodes well for them if they are allowed to have more 50 over cricket. Maxwell heroics stopped them from the semis. It was that close
Pakistan - Always fail. They didn't really show anything that impressed me aside from the run chase vs Sri Lanka
England - A Joke, washed up team, relying on an injured player to deliver the good which he did once we was eliminated. Having the oldest team in history helped us be very poor. A joke..
Sri Lanka - Played well in parts, But a joke of which they need to sort themselves out very quickly
Bangladesh - Looked the weakest team in the competition. Lost to England, Beat Afghanistan summed them up. Internal crap as well
Netherlands - Didn't disgrace themselves. Picked up a credible win vs South Africa.

Molehill

International Captain
Format was boring. Should never be this format again. We need to have 2 groups at the very least, I'm glad that this will happen in 2027

Teams

India - Making the most of home advantage, But i still think they are very beatable. Their batting has been class
South Africa - Excellent but have the tendency to throw in poor matches, historically they bottle key matches at the World Cup. Time will tell
Australia - Started off like a washed up joke, Ended up cruising into the Semis. Thanks to Maxwell
New Zealand - Batting has been good, Bowling decent but not enough quality and are the weakest of the Semi finalists

Afghanistan - Played really well, Have a young side and it bodes well for them if they are allowed to have more 50 over cricket. Maxwell heroics stopped them from the semis. It was that close
Pakistan - Always fail. They didn't really show anything that impressed me aside from the run chase vs Sri Lanka
England - A Joke, washed up team, relying on an injured player to deliver the good which he did once we was eliminated. Having the oldest team in history helped us be very poor. A joke..
Sri Lanka - Played well in parts, But a joke of which they need to sort themselves out very quickly
Bangladesh - Looked the weakest team in the competition. Lost to England, Beat Afghanistan summed them up. Internal crap as well
Netherlands - Didn't disgrace themselves. Picked up a credible win vs South Africa.
No, it really wasn't. They needed to beat SA too.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I don’t mind this format. There hasn’t been as much competitive matches as we’d like for whatever reason but I think it’s one the most fair ways they can decide a winner you face everyone there’s no dodging anyone. There’s no making it through in an easier group.

I don’t think it works well for growing odis but especially for associate nations. That should be more icc’s focus before the next World Cup trying to get more of these nations to face the top nations in odis and t20s more.

these semis anyone can win mainly cause I think they all got good bowling line ups. Some bowlers aren’t in a good form as others but if they show up the semis and have a good bowling powerplay than the match is in their favour

Andyhere

International 12th Man

Teams

This is the best format! You play all the teams in the competition that is true world cup.
Two groups is where you don't get to play certain teams.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Also if Afghanistan can find a few more pacers in the next few years I think they can be a real threat in the shorter formats come World Cup time. I think they are more suited to putting out a decent total and defending it mainly with their spinners in the middle overs. I think they have some the best short format spinners in the world but they’ve had some favourable bowling pitches this world cup. They need better pacers to take care of the powerplay and death overs when you get more flatter pitches

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

Teams

Pak not having frontline spinners was a major issue, but they didn't need one before the WC. What made the lack of good spin-blowing options worse is the fact that Naseem Shah got injured right before the WC and Shaheen Afridi still doesn't look 100% fitness-wise. Their batting was never going to be spectacular, but I'd say they got unlucky coz of last minute injuries. They heavily relied on their pace-blowing trio and Naseem's absence and a semi-fit Shaheen made them really weak.

Isura

U19 Captain
SL have a young team with decent fast bowling depth for the first time in years (ever?). Their spinners are bad but next WC is in SA so it won't matter as much.

Molehill

International Captain
It feels like people wanna watch a game where there's minimal number of balls and that every one of those balls should be dispatched over the rope to the crowds.

Very selfish of them.
T20 is the future. In 30 years time you'll be starting threads with England (10 Times World Champions) v Australia (1 Lucky Toss Win). Gotta move with the times, a shame Australia got stuck in 50 over land.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T20 is the future. In 30 years time you'll be starting threads with England (10 Times World Champions) v Australia (1 Lucky Toss Win). Gotta move with the times, a shame Australia got stuck in 50 over land.
In 10 years, there will not be a thing such as T20...it'll be obsolete because of the dumbed down of the other formats to cater for this lickit cricket.

Diminishing of quality for instant gratification.

I'm not from the older generations. I am a fairly young cricket fan. I value the best format of cricket over the trash we see now.

Molehill

International Captain
In 10 years, there will not be a thing such as T20...it'll be obsolete because of the dumbed down of the other formats to cater for this lickit cricket.

Diminishing of quality for instant gratification.

I'm not from the older generations. I am a fairly young cricket fan. I value the best format of cricket over the trash we see now.
In 30 years time we'll still have all 3 formats. If we can't even kick out the pointless Champions Trophy then clearly the 50 over World Cup is going nowhere.

Molehill

International Captain
Very optimistic from you, but the so-called guardians of the game are busy developing new formats left, right, and center.

For them, the sweet spot is in their bank accounts.
England may have developed the 100, but the sole aim of that is to attract people to the game. It's not like we're going to kick out Test Cricket - we love Tests in England arguably more than anywhere else.