• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Virat Kholi wins a 2nd 50 over world cup he will be the goat

Ali TT

International Debutant
I'd place India as favourites for this tournament as they have the strongest team, but not sure Kohli is the best player. They have enough batting that Kohli could have a stinker and they could still win, plus they'll need their fast and spin bowling to fire regardless of how well Kohli does.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I'd place India as favourites for this tournament as they have the strongest team, but not sure Kohli is the best player. They have enough batting that Kohli could have a stinker and they could still win, plus they'll need their fast and spin bowling to fire regardless of how well Kohli does.
I want to know what you are smoking

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I want to know what you are smoking
Career wise he's obviously the best active player but it's not crazy to say he might not be the absolute best, right now in 2023. E.g. there are several batters with better ODI records this WC cycle. Kohli is still good but he's not at his peak.

(Or if he is, it'll be cool to see it over the next few weeks.)

Ali TT

International Debutant
Another way of betters phrasing perhaps is that India could win this WC without Kohli being their best player in the tournament.

Interesting that in saying that I would have assumed that I'm being very complimentary to the Indian side, but still getting grief from a fan...

Teja.

Global Moderator
If he dominates this WC and is the MOTS, he will be the 3rd best ODI player after Viv and Sachin, IMO.

Sachin has been the highest scorer in 1996 and 2003. He was also the second highest scorer and the highest for India in the successful 2011 campaign. Great performances and aggregates overall in WC KO games despite 2 bad finals.

Kohli so far has done SFA when compared to that. It is hard to catch up in just one World Cup. Great knock yesterday though, best of his odi career.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
If he dominates this WC and is the MOTS, he will be the 3rd best ODI player after Viv and Sachin, IMO.

Sachin has been the highest scorer in 1996 and 2003. He was also the second highest scorer and the highest for India in the successful 2011 campaign. Great performances and aggregates overall in WC KO games despite 2 bad finals.

Kohli so far has done SFA when compared to that. It is hard to catch up in just one World Cup. Great knock yesterday though, best of his odi career.
See firstly, ODI WCs are more important than bilaterals, agreed, but you can’t ignore bilaterals completely. Secondly in a WC, openers will score more runs and end up topping the charts more than a number 3. In the 2019 WC, Kohli could have easily ended up with 550 odd runs or more, but every time he came out to bat, Sharma and Rahul had already batted for 20-25 overs. And also SRT has fluffed up two finals, and has one innings of note in knockouts overall, so it’s not like he’s played innings of far more importance on a regular basis. Plus prolly Kohli will play 2027 WC, so he could well there too.