• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Cup Qualifiers 2023

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the world cup qualifiers guys, and for the second time in as many WC Q-fiers, my 2-time World Champs team, West Indies have to qualify for the main tournament...

Let's not forget previous world champs, Sri Lanka as well. @Himannv

10 teams:

Ireland
: Squad yet to be announced

Nepal: Squad yet to be announced

Netherlands: Squad yet to be announced

Oman: Squad yet to be announced

Scotland: Richie Berrington (c), Matthew Cross, Alasdair Evans, Chris Greaves, Jack Jarvis, Michael Leask, Tom Mackintosh, Chris McBride, Brandon McMullen, George Munsey, Adrian Neill, Safyaan Sharif, Chris Sole, Hamza Tahir, Mark Watt

Sri Lanka: Squad yet to be announced

UAE: Squad yet to be announced

USA: Squad yet to be announced

West Indies: Shai Hope (c), Rovman Powell (vc), Shamarh Brooks, Yannic Cariah, Keacy Carty, Roston Chase, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Gudakesh Motie, Keemo Paul, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd

Zimbabwe: Squad yet to be announced

Cricket World Cup Qualifier - All the squads (icc-cricket.com)

(I had to look through @G.S.Kohli's profile to make sure that he didn't create a thread for this.)

Fixture: to be announced...

SillyCowCorner1

cnerd123

likes this
absolutely ridiculous. The ICC's attitude to pathway tournaments has always been pathetic. These are meant to build the associates up, instead they're using to to drag Full Members down.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
A
No DRS.

An ICC event this.

Why can't they broadcast it like the Under-19 World Cup with good umpires and fabulous commentary?

"There will be no DRS system in place for this year's 50-over World Cup qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe in June-July, but the ICC has confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that there will be a third umpire monitoring run-outs."

Cricket World Cup Qualifier - No DRS as teams battle it out for final two spots | ESPNcricinfo
Remember when the windies beat Scotland to qualify for last WC because a plumb LBW wasn't given and there was no DRS? You'd think the icc would have learnt a lesson from that but apparently not.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is the ICC so scared to grow the game I wonder ..
It's so frustrating because this isn't good for the windies or SL either. If they continue to scrape there way into the WC then their never going get the kick in the ass they need.

Sri Lanka in particular is annoying because there a genuinely solid test and t20 side but their ODI side is so bad that it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get top 2 here.

SillyCowCorner1

Why is the ICC so scared to grow the game I wonder ..
Mo money, Mo problems.

The amount of money that they generate and yet they can’t pay/facilitate ****ing hawkeye/DRS.

It just sends a message of, “I don’t ****ing care for you ****s. You are all nothing and will get knocked out of the WC eventually. Gotta have my cash cow Ind-Pak tho ;)

cricket isn’t a worldwide sport. Full stop!

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It's so frustrating because this isn't good for the windies or SL either. If they continue to scrape there way into the WC then their never going get the kick in the ass they need.

Sri Lanka in particular is annoying because there a genuinely solid test and t20 side but their ODI side is so bad that it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get top 2 here.
They shouldn't have to qualify , World Cup should comprise of all the test nations, and then a qualifying tournament for the best associate teams with all the technology available...

TheJediBrah

They shouldn't have to qualify , World Cup should comprise of all the test nations, and then a qualifying tournament for the best associate teams with all the technology available...
I don't have an issue with the lesser performing Test nations having to "qualify" along with associates. If anything it's a good thing to give associates exposure and reward them if they do manage to outperform the Test nations.

However the qualifying should definitely be made to feel a part of the main tournament, with the same coverage and technology available. Much like the world T20 qualifying was done in 2022. That was fantastic and full of upsets. Without it we wouldn't have had (or had less of) Scotland, Ireland & Namibia in the spotlight winning games against Test nations

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't have an issue with the lesser performing Test nations having to "qualify" along with associates. If anything it's a good thing to give associates exposure and reward them if they do manage to outperform the Test nations.

However the qualifying should definitely be made to feel a part of the main tournament, with the same coverage and technology available. Much like the world T20 qualifying was done in 2022. That was fantastic and full of upsets. Without it we wouldn't have had (or had less of) Scotland, Ireland & Namibia in the spotlight winning games against Test nations
The only issue will be that ODIs take longer and is more of a fitness test and therefore be a bit unfair on the associates and the full members who have to play the qualifiers.

TheJediBrah

The only issue will be that ODIs take longer and is more of a fitness test and therefore be a bit unfair on the associates and the full members who have to play the qualifiers.
eh I don't really see that at all

If anything the opposite argument would have a stronger case. An extra 2 or 3 competitive games in the local conditions immediately before the tournament could be an advantage over the other teams who have to jump straight into the group games with whatever warm-ups and intra-squad games they can organise.

But realistically there's not a significant advantage either way

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
eh I don't really see that at all

If anything the opposite argument would have a stronger case. An extra 2 or 3 competitive games in the local conditions immediately before the tournament could be an advantage over the other teams who have to jump straight into the group games with whatever warm-ups and intra-squad games they can organise.
They play 5 or 6 though? Not just 2 or 3? Isn't that the issue?

TheJediBrah

They play 5 or 6 though? Not just 2 or 3? Isn't that the issue?
6 seems like a lot, I would have thought it would be less. Regardless, I'm not saying you're definitely wrong but I still don't think it would be that big a difference.

The other teams will be training pretty heavily and getting as many warm-ups in as they can so workload shouldn't be vastly different. Especially given that the presence of a qualifying stage would likely mean a shorter tournament "proper" and that every game will matter. So you can't afford to ease your way into form when an early loss (or even rain-affected no-result) could ruin your tournament. Still feels like getting through the qualifying could potentially even be an advantage

What's obviously not an advantage is that you risk not even making the tournament if you lose a few games, but if that happens you probably don't deserve to be playing anyway

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I like your idea in principle, that is why I gave it a like. Just playing DA to see why they are not doing it. You also have to remember most associates don't have professionals playing for them so what we take for granted in terms of fitness of a professional cricketer will not be the standard here for these folks.