• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is an overthrow that goes for 4 attributed to the batsman as 5?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Sehwag try that one time to keep a guy on strike or something?
I think Hutton did that once as well. I think it was to keep the tail-ender on strike rather than to save runs though.

EDIT
It was at The Oval in 1938
Other than Brown, no Australian batsman had displayed the concentration and application of the Englishmen and surrendered meekly to the English attack. Fleetwood-Smith, effectively the last batsman in Bradman and Fingleton s absence, scored a 20-ball 16 (going past his previous best of 13) with three fours and helped Brown take Australia past 200. "Neither pace nor spin bowling could disturb the equanimity of Brown," wrote Wisden. In an effort to bring Fleetwood-Smith on strike Hutton kicked the ball to the boundary when Brown had cut it to the Yorkshireman. Since the effort was intentional, however, Brown was awarded 5 runs and he managed to retain the strike.

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
He could have had a semblance of a case if he acted as if it was a throw gone wrong. But as always with SehWAG, subtlety is not in his wheel-house. He actually kicked it to go past the boundary. :laugh:
Oh he seriously did that.

Like he could have just pretended to field and accidentally touched the boundary with his fingers.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Here’s another for the sake of argument

What is the difference between a misfield that goes for 4 whilst the batsmen are running and an actual overthrow?

Like what is the technicality that makes an overthrow an overthrow and not just a misfield?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Law 19 (Boundaries) says that, if the boundary results from a wilful act of a fielder, not only will the boundary be scored, but so will any other runs completed by the batsmen together with the run in progress at the time of the act if they have crossed.

Thus, if the batsmen had crossed for their third run when a fielder deliberately knocked the ball over the boundary, the batsman would be awarded 7 runs (3 + 4).

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here’s another for the sake of argument

What is the difference between a misfield that goes for 4 whilst the batsmen are running and an actual overthrow?

Like what is the technicality that makes an overthrow an overthrow and not just a misfield?
I believe because one is an "accident" and the other isn't

That's why if the batsmen are going to run 5 you can't just kick it over the boundary to keep it to 4 (which would be the obvious thing to do otherwise)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I believe because one is an "accident" and the other isn't

That's why if the batsmen are going to run 5 you can't just kick it over the boundary to keep it to 4 (which would be the obvious thing to do otherwise)
Yeah as per L&L's post - "wilful act"

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't it only 5 if the batsmen have crossed once? I remember that stokes's overthrow 6 in the WC final should have been 5 because he hadn't completed the second run at some important point.