• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Parore

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I listened to the podcast this morning, and to be fair Parore came off pretty well. It's probably easy to put on a front when you know you're being listened to, but I thought he spoke pretty maturely, owned the perspective that he was a bit of a prick when he was younger, but has learned lessons etc. Of course that might not be totally authentic as to who he is day-to-day, but I came away thinking he had some cool things to say. Everyone is entitled to mature and learn from past mistakes.

I don't think I'll listen to much more of the Runners Only pod, though. It's very hard to listen to. A lot of podcast hosts would do well to remember the guest is the focus, and talking over them/dominating the conversation/steering it around to irrelevant things they want to talk about (which sums up Joe Rogan in a nutshell) does not get the best out of their subjects.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I agree with you about the interviewer. Towards the end it got a bit cringy. First he noted that Parore was Women’s Weekly fodder in the 1990s before proceeding to ask him questions about his relationships with his ex partners and partner. I didn’t give a **** about that and would have preferred more questions about cricket or, since it was a runner’s podcast, running and exercise regimes.

The most intriguing thing was towards the end when Parore was asked about Chris Cairns. He said the entire Player X situation was difficult for him because he had strong friendships on both sides of the case. He then said something along the lines of “If someone makes a mistake it doesn’t erase all the good things they did” which implied to me his opinion regarding Player X’s guilt.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I listened to the podcast this morning, and to be fair Parore came off pretty well. It's probably easy to put on a front when you know you're being listened to, but I thought he spoke pretty maturely, owned the perspective that he was a bit of a prick when he was younger, but has learned lessons etc. Of course that might not be totally authentic as to who he is day-to-day, but I came away thinking he had some cool things to say. Everyone is entitled to mature and learn from past mistakes.
I listened it to it last night and had the exact same reaction as you did. I do recall back in the 90s as a youngster trying to get a signature in my signature book from the majority of NZ cricketers was difficult and that arrogance that Parore alluded to was certainly there along with the disregard to fans. It's good to see these days players doing a lot more media wise, fan wise.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you about the interviewer. Towards the end it got a bit cringy. First he noted that Parore was Women’s Weekly fodder in the 1990s before proceeding to ask him questions about his relationships with his ex partners and partner. I didn’t give a **** about that and would have preferred more questions about cricket or, since it was a runner’s podcast, running and exercise regimes.

The most intriguing thing was towards the end when Parore was asked about Chris Cairns. He said the entire Player X situation was difficult for him because he had strong friendships on both sides of the case. He then said something along the lines of “If someone makes a mistake it doesn’t erase all the good things they did” which implied to me his opinion regarding Player X’s guilt.
Jeepers, I obviously didn't listen to the end and the Cairns stuff. I'll need to listen to that.

At the end of the day, everyone knows Player X was guilty. He's at OJ Simpson levels of fortunate acquittal. There's another one of his comrades (not Lou) that is also guilty as sin, but managed to keep his nose even cleaner.

Flem274*

123/5
Jeepers, I obviously didn't listen to the end and the Cairns stuff. I'll need to listen to that.

At the end of the day, everyone knows Player X was guilty. He's at OJ Simpson levels of fortunate acquittal. There's another one of his comrades (not Lou) that is also guilty as sin, but managed to keep his nose even cleaner.
Daryl Tuffey? We picked him for NZ even after implication iirc :laugh: