• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England's White Ball Tour Of Bangladesh : March 01-14, 2023

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Will Hales be welcome back in England team?
He already has been? He was England's second top scorer at the last T20 World Cup.

He's not played an ODI or List A game since March and May 2019. So he was never going to be in the 2023 World Cup squad so don't begrudge him missing the tour in favour of the PSL.

I'd say the PSL is better preparation for the 2024 T20 World Cup than this series.

Molehill

International Captain
Woeful last 5 overs from Bangladesh managing to score just 27-1. What should've been 180+ is now under 160.

Molehill

International Captain
Duckett running out Buttler probably the decisive moment of the game. But, the lack of depth in the batting has been the issue throughout the series. Would it have been so difficult to find someone else to replace Jacks/Abell? Playing Woakes and Jordan every game has been silly.

Aritro

International Regular
Well. That was nice. Imperfect performances against an experimental team, but they scored very quickly for unusually long stretches in the 1st and 3rd matches, which almost seemed impossible a few months ago. Against really good bowlers as well.

Thank you Hathurusinghe. Please never leave.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Firstly well played Bangladesh, a fully deserved series win.

We've made a bit of a mess of this series with our selection since Jacks was ruled out.

Obviously 1 eye on the future but you need to also play the series in front of you.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Duckett running out Buttler probably the decisive moment of the game. But, the lack of depth in the batting has been the issue throughout the series. Would it have been so difficult to find someone else to replace Jacks/Abell? Playing Woakes and Jordan every game has been silly.
Adam Hose, Ollie Pope, Paul Walter, Sam Hain, Stephen Eskinazi or one of many county batters not playing T20 at the moment, could've been flown out. If you have Mo in your top six, then you don't need Curran in until 7. I think Jordan should've pensioned off a long time ago.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Adam Hose, Ollie Pope, Paul Walter, Sam Hain, Stephen Eskinazi or one of many county batters not playing T20 at the moment, could've been flown out. If you have Mo in your top six, then you don't need Curran in until 7. I think Jordan should've pensioned off a long time ago.
None of those names I'd want to see coming out to bat that's for sure.

I just thought England were going through the motions of this contractually obligated T20 series. Fielding was terrible. Just didn't look up for it.
ODI series at least with the Worldcup later this year in India had some context- Could have done with a 5 match ODI series and no t20s but as ever there is no room for compromise with the schedule and $$$.

That's not to say Bangladesh didn't deserve to win, or to say they wouldn't have beaten England if England were at full strength (who knows). Across formats they remain a decent team at home iirc. They were quite a bit better than England this series.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah the replacement players have been terrible. Looks like t20 bench strength is not good.
Some of those who played wouldn't normally make the bench. I don't think Salt will be considered for selection again any time soon with opening options like Jacks and Smeed coming through. Duckett too may be asked to concentrate on Test Cricket for the time being.

Best thing to come from the Tour was the performance of Archer who is definitely starting to up the pace. I think he'll have a good IPL and then see what we want to do with him over the Summer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the replacement players have been terrible. Looks like t20 bench strength is not good.
Ditto the ODI bench strength. Not sure who the next generation will be after the ODI world cup, if we assume that Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes and Buttler won't be involved in four years' time. Nor Moeen, although I don't really count him as a batsmen nowadays. It's hard to see Brook not being involved, and Jacks will probably get a run in the side, but other than them?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely we do - he (Hales) should be playing both T20 and ODIs
As others have said, he is back in the T20 fold but happens to be plying his trade elsewhere during this series. Is he such a huge loss to the one day side when Bairstow and Roy are available to open? Probably not. And as he's already 34, he may well be too old for the 2027 ODI world cup anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ditto the ODI bench strength. Not sure who the next generation will be after the ODI world cup, if we assume that Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes and Buttler won't be involved in four years' time. Nor Moeen, although I don't really count him as a batsmen nowadays. It's hard to see Brook not being involved, and Jacks will probably get a run in the side, but other than them?
It's a bit of an odd situation really, I mean we've gone full-circle from a disastrous time when Test players basically were the ones to be picked for limited overs, to the fact that some Test Players just never play limited overs.

Pope, Crawley, Lawrence (maybe not) even Brook don't play it much domestically, so they have to wait for places in England's set-up, because of the old-stagers. Oh and Hain has got to be in at 50 overs at one point surely.

I mean we need to forget Hales from 50 overs too, and obviously Vince over-all and hopefully they can ear-mark a few decent young uns to come through after the next World cup.

Going on England Lions picks, Rew, Jordan Cox, Bethell, Hain, Jack Haynes, Prest are the ones they are looking at. Apart from Hain though their careers are pretty embryonic.

TKC maybe in contention too.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I personally think it's strong relative to the other nations. They were just facing a reasonable side in their home conditions who seemed to be a lot more motivated than England. Some of England's more average performers only recently won the world t20 - Malan, Ali, Sam Curran, Woakes.

Take a list of those not playing in this series for various reasons - Hales, Root, Bairstow, Livingstone, Brook, Roy, Billings, Vince, Banton, Willey, Jacks, T Curran, Mills, Mahmood, Dawson. Bowling isn't great but there is plenty of batting depth- and that's without listing some of the uncapped t20 hacks like TKC, Joe Clarke, Adam Rossington, smeed etc who'd probably get a go for some of the weaker nations.

We've definitely been spoiled by this atg generation of ODI players and it's almost inevitable that the next generation won't match the world cup final xi top 6 of Bairstow, Roy, Root, Stokes, Morgan, Buttler. But that generation only got better by playing regularly (Root and Morgan apart everyone else had fairly modest starts to odi career iirc) and the current crop of guys beneath haven't exactly got much of a chance because of the strength of the first xi and the relentless schedule (and paradoxically the relative lack of 50 over cricket). Personally think Buttler and Root might just make 2027.

It will likely be tougher to find the well rounded ODI bats given the abundance of T20 leagues around the world but England won't be unique in having an issue here imo.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
England's short-form sides have definitely peaked, with most of their key players now in the early to mid 30s. The 50 over WC this year should be a final tournament for some of these guys - Roy, Mo, Malan, Woakes, Jordan, possibly Wood and Bairstow. Whether England have the players to replace them now is debatable, but they've got to start transitioning players in so they don't get a number of retirements all at once. Smeed, Jacks and Cox should get more opportunities, likewise Mahmood and Topley - and a fit Archer is huge.