• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It will be so much funny if NZ win over England this test and then Australia wins over India in the next two tests after all these discussions.
Funnier if NZ win this test and then Ind best Aus and then saltshakerz comes back to defend why Aus and Eng are still better than India ?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol this is not I meant . Who was the better side between AUS and SA in 95-99 ?
BC (sorry for swearing), I have already clarified that I am rating England higher only on current form. It would be fair to rate SA better than Aus at several points in that period before 1997 series on current form. So you can use the head to head as a decider but to say one team cant be better than the other before the head to head happens is what I disagree with. I think England can be considered better than India on form right now, if they get smashed in India obviously the opinion would change.

I have put it in as simple terms as I can now. I hope you understand, otherwise please save up your energy for the next time you shut Burgey up I'm already looking forward to it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Adelaide looks pretty and plays boring" surely hasn't been true for like 5+ years now since the D/N Tests started, a lot of them have been very spicy affairs.
Yeah true.

India have so much more variety now than people are willing to admit though, so I think Bahnz is right. We've rolled out pitches where our pacers had to do the majority of the damage (particularly in the SA series in 2019) and still demolished them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah true.

India have so much more variety now than people are willing to admit though, so I think Bahnz is right. We've rolled out pitches where our pacers had to do the majority of the damage (particularly in the SA series in 2019) and still demolished them.
I mean a bit part of that is that India are unique in having the attack to actually take advantage of various conditions. Lyon's troubles on turners are well-documented and with the greatest respect to Leach he's not in the top tier of spinners you'll see.

subshakerz

International Coach
BC (sorry for swearing), I have already clarified that I am rating England higher only on current form. It would be fair to rate SA better than Aus at several points in that period before 1997 series on current form. So you can use the head to head as a decider but to say one team cant be better than the other before the head to head happens is what I disagree with. I think England can be considered better than India on form right now, if they get smashed in India obviously the opinion would change.

I have put it in as simple terms as I can now. I hope you understand, otherwise please save up your energy for the next time you shut Burgey up I'm already looking forward to it.
Quite straightforward, agreed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Yes but current form means literally nothing in test cricket given how context and conditions driven it is.

Sunil1z

International Regular

??
Me and Burgey won’t fight now . Those days are long gone .

Slifer

International Captain
why are people still taking that 2 test series between India and NZ as proof of India being incapable of winning in NZ when so much has changed for both sides and NZ have been slipping so much?
This actually makes sense to me.

Slifer

International Captain
You acknowledge that the results are comparable, similar and dominant for both teams even in a favorable timeframe for England. The records you have brought up clearly shows that. But tell that to your friend @subshakerz who doesn`t agree to that and contests that England's record is better than India's.

If it is just gut feel that somehow England is better based on how they are playing right now, then it is fine. But it cannot be based on results as India has been equally dominant. The almost choke can also be viewed as a heist by Ashwin. It is only the way that we see.
I'm more impressed with India because their only loss came away. England's win in Pakistan was also impressive but they lost a home test by an innings to a weak RSA team. The same RSA that got smoked in Australia. And the same Aus team that India are currently embarrassing. In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine either of India or Australia losing by an innings at home to anyone.

Coat of varnish separating them but for me: India>Eng/Aus.

Sunil1z

International Regular
This actually makes sense to me.
Imo NZ would still be favourites at home against IND . Current Indian team doesn’t know how to play moving ball . But as long as other results in our favour , we will continue to be a top side . However Bazball is certainly the biggest challenge we are facing in last 8 years .

Sunil1z

International Regular
This is really just intellectually shocking and not that close

England was losing series at home a year ago

Australia two years ago
No , it isn’t. Current can’t be more than 1 years ago . And on the basis of last 10 months performance, England have performed better than India .

Be honest , our lower order won’t bail us out in SENA conditions . So , our team certainly needs atleast 3 to 4 change .

However , we will get more clear ans based on how Ashes go and how India perform in RSA this year . And still if we don’t get clear ans , next year Test series between IND- ENG would decide the winner .

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
No , it isn’t. Current can’t be more than 1 years ago . And on the basis of last 10 months performance, England have performed better than India .

Be honest , our lower order won’t bail us out in SENA conditions . So , our team certainly needs atleast 3 to 4 change .

However , we will get more clear ans based on how Ashes go and how India perform in RSA this year . And still if we don’t get clear ans , next year Test series between IND- ENG would decide the winner .
i don’t think Ind’s middle order is as bad currently as it was maybe last year. Kohli is starting to look better and will have a big score anytime. Rohit is in golden form(one of the reason we lost the last test in Eng is because we were missing him, and he did well in swinging conditions then). Gill will probably replace KL.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Blame should also go to OP for starting a thread without giving exact duration . So everyone is using his favourite time frame to pump up his side and downplay others .

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
But the lower order doing very well in comparison to before, compensates it to some extent, although they won’t even collectively touch half of what Pant could do.

Sunil1z

International Regular
i don’t think Ind’s middle order is as bad currently as it was maybe last year. Kohli is starting to look better and will have a big score anytime. Rohit is in golden form(one of the reason we lost the last test in Eng is because we were missing him, and he did well in swinging conditions then). Gill will probably replace KL.
Man we were 135/7 just 2 innings ago . Don’t have false hope . We desperately need 3 to 4 changes

And don’t downplay this England side . It was England who derailed us in 2011 from our top position . They are a damn good side now under current set up .

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Man we were 135/7 just 2 innings ago . Don’t have false hope . We desperately need 3 to 4 changes

And don’t downplay this England side . It was England who derailed us in 2011 from our top position . They are a damn good side now under current set up .
You’re right but once KL is out, and Kohli gets a big score(he is looking much better now), middle order will be in better position.