• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sunil1z

International Regular
Pretty much this.

I would rate a team of goodish level across conditions better than one that is excellent in SC and Australia but that is incapable of winning in a big chunk of world cricket where it swings.

Indian fans should just acknowledge this is a valid reason to downgrade a side even if they disagree with it.
Which is what we have been saying from beginning .
We are poor in swinging condition. But England are minnows in Aus and Ind . But you are saying , England past performance doesn’t matter because they have changed their captain . And hence 30 page debate.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Since June 2022:

England: 11 tests played, 10 wins, 1 loss. Whitewashed NZ at home, one off test win vs India, beat SA 2-1, whitewashed Pakistan in Pakistan, one test (so far) in NZ.

India: 5 tests played, 4 wins, 1 loss. One test loss vs Eng, 2-0 win in Bangladesh, 2-0 up vs Australia.

India's record just a smaller sample, but they're comparable. Imo, I went with England only on the basis of current form as in, just regardless of the results (which are dominant for both teams), I feel they're just playing better. This can change as soon as the next series if England's dumb bazball thing somehow starts imploding, but I'm going with gut feel since the records are similar. Admittedly not sure if this makes sense because I tend to harp on the negatives of the India team a lot, but I'm just not convinced we're actually playing at as high a level as we were a few years ago. The test match in Bangladesh where we almost choked a small chase was a bit embarrassing even though we won. Whereas England have mixed in incredibly easy wins with some crazy heists. Again, all completely subjective, but as of right now I do feel they're playing better. ?‍♂
You acknowledge that the results are comparable, similar and dominant for both teams even in a favorable timeframe for England. The records you have brought up clearly shows that. But tell that to your friend @subshakerz who doesn`t agree to that and contests that England's record is better than India's.

If it is just gut feel that somehow England is better based on how they are playing right now, then it is fine. But it cannot be based on results as India has been equally dominant. The almost choke can also be viewed as a heist by Ashwin. It is only the way that we see.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much this.

I would rate a team of goodish level across conditions better than one that is excellent in SC and Australia but that is incapable of winning in a big chunk of world cricket where it swings.

Indian fans should just acknowledge this is a valid reason to downgrade a side even if they disagree with it.
Fine. In the same vein, let us agree that we can rate England or Australia better once they win in spin conditions.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue I have with posts like this is that they're treating this like a championship belt conversation where India are the undisputed champs and the only way England can ever be considered better is by beating them head to head. I understand I'm in the minority here, but I personally don't think cricket should work that way. (They've also beaten India in a test only a few months ago ftr ) . England don't even tour India until 2024, so if India's form falls off a cliff and England continue beating everyone over the next year, does that still mean England have no case to be considered a better team until they beat India? It just makes no sense to me.

Obviously right now, results have been similar but there's a year to go before the head-to-head even happens.
If we are considering one off tests, India beat SA in the first test of the series too. Let us clarify that England drew India at home in that series and not win.

England have not come closer to qualifying in the 2 WTC finals that have happened so far. England have not won India either at home or away. There are a lot of things they need to do to be qualified as the current best team over India.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
England have already won in SL and PAK . Their challenge is IND and AUS now . Just like our challenge is in NZ/SA/ENG for now
Pakistan is not spinning conditions according to me. Srilanka yes and credit to them for getting that done.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be so much funny if NZ win over England this test and then Australia wins over India in the next two tests after all these discussions.

Socerer 01

International Captain
why are people still taking that 2 test series between India and NZ as proof of India being incapable of winning in NZ when so much has changed for both sides and NZ have been slipping so much?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This whole question is so thoroughly unknowable, and even if Bazball loses it’s next 10 tests on the bounce I’m still not sure we could give an absolute answer. I’ve thoroughly wasted the last 3 hours of my life. Thanks everyone!
You really only have to thank one poster, tbf

Spark

Global Moderator
I think India also offers a much wider array of conditions than you get in Australia, or really anywhere these days. Some wickets are fast and bouncy, some turgid and low, some rip big, some are highways. Australian pitches have all been some mild variation of the MCG highway for the past decade. Thankfully they’re bringing a smidge of bounce back to the new WACA, but the SCG is still not so spiny, MCG is mega runsville, Adelaide still looks pretty and plays boring, Hobart hardly ever gets a game etc. Australia should try and get their test pitches more like the ones that were used for the T20 World Cup. Those MCG pitches were awesome.
"Adelaide looks pretty and plays boring" surely hasn't been true for like 5+ years now since the D/N Tests started, a lot of them have been very spicy affairs.