• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently an actual quote from Stead:

“We want to go out and throw some punches back at England and I thought through this test we did that really, really well at times.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...-in-black-caps-for-second-test-versus-england (End of the article)
That sounds really bad if there's no context factors lmao. Nz won the WTC 18 months ago and are playing at home. This sounds like something you'de expect the coach of Zimbabwe to say. When India had to rock up at the gabba with a bunch of net bowlers you didn't hear them saying "we want to go out there and throw a few punches back at Australia."

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Jamieson hasn't been on the field, & Southee has been trash in the last 12 months averaging over 50 with the ball in 7 tests.

I still have no idea how he was given the Test captaincy and how if KW was going to drop 1 or 2 of the forms it should have been 1 or 2 of white-ball forms, especially considering everyone except Stead and KW himself know he should be nowhere near out T20 side.

Our selectors have gone from fairly good 2-3 years back, to poor 12 months ago & to beyond embarrassing today.
Where they good 2-3 years ago, or with the benefit of hindsight do we have a team that essentially picked itself with very few positions not deservedly locked in. Much like the All Blacks were in 2015.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where they good 2-3 years ago, or with the benefit of hindsight do we have a team that essentially picked itself with very few positions not deservedly locked in. Much like the All Blacks were in 2015.
Yes, but Larsen, as much as I think he's a wet character did actually make some good logical selections a few years ago and I'm talking selections around the fringes, outside of the locks.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The fact we picked one swing bowler, in a pink ball test, for a wicket covered for days prior to the match, shows where our strategy/planning is at. Then to bowl absolute short and wide rubbish for 2 innings was so bad to watch.

NZ cricket needs a wake up call, Wagner ball + relying on Southee/Boult with the new ball days are dead. They haven't worked for several years, and now our best bowler isn't playing. The lack over forward thinking and planning is clear to see.
Tbf the southee-boult-wagner-de grandhomme quartet was probably the golden period. You had southee and Boult with the new ball and if that didn't quite work then you had Wagnerball, and some guy who bowled 120kmph wobblers that would always bring about a wicket. Then Jamieson joined the party and the seam attack was kind of insane tbh. It all worked pretty much like clockwork right up until the first test of the 2022 England tour which happened to be CdGs last test. We weren't really Bazballed in that Test match, so much as Rooted.

Molehill

International Captain
It is just so dumb. We won the toss and gifted England the best batting and bowling conditions.
This is wrong, remember England would have bowled too. England created the opportunity by scoring at 6 an over and declaring as the lights took effect. Opposition teams need to work out how to stop the bleeding of runs when England bat, NZ seemed to expect they'd have England at 180-4 or so when the lights were turned on.

Socerer 01

International Captain
This is wrong, remember England would have bowled too. England created the opportunity by scoring at 6 an over and declaring as the lights took effect. Opposition teams need to work out how to stop the bleeding of runs when England bat, NZ seemed to expect they'd have England at 180-4 or so when the lights were turned on.
teams need to start setting odi fields to some of the England players

Molehill

International Captain
teams need to start setting odi fields to some of the England players
As an England fan I'm loving it, but I can't understand some of the clueless tactics against it. If it's wide outside off stump they're going to throw the bat, so why you wouldn't have a deep cover is beyond me. It's clear they've been practicing a new shot whereby short balls are scooped/hooked over fine leg. It was nice of Wagner to keep offering some more practice.

This England approach is no longer new. Opposition know what they're going to do so need to adjust accordingly. The NZ tactics (particularly on the 3rd morning) were bizarre.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was he not meaning these guys? Surely not Kuggeleijn? I didn't see him bowl any decent spells. He got four wickets from badly executed pulls, while going at sixes.
Macewell probably isn't actually one of Wellington's four best bowlers lol, so he probably didn't mean him - but yeah I agree with your assement of Kuggs's pies, even dispicable past behaviour aside.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats btw to England, continues to be an incredible turnaround from the side that existed a year or two ago. The Bazballers get all the attention, but the bowling attack exploited the conditions at the Mount very nicely. Athlai's bus-man continues to impress and I hope Mark Wood can stay fit to sub in when one of the old fellas needs a rest.

By contrast, the less said about the way NZ are playing (and selecting and managing), the better.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what the rationale behind this, I thought they would have kept Duffy and released Kuggs. Maybe there is a plunkett shield game coming up for Otago and Canterbury. Makes sense to release Ish if you they are not going to play him.

Stead said Henry would replace Jacob Duffy in the squad while leg-spinner Ish Sodhi had also been released.

“I don’t think it’s unfair to say we are lacking a bit of that confidence at the moment, but I can assure you the faith is still with this group of guys,” he said.

“We believe these are our best cricketers. Won’t make wholesale or snappy changes when all of our top order struggled.

“We want to go out and throw some punches back at England and I thought through this (first) test we did that really, really well at times.”
JFC

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
NZ have been an outstanding test team in recent years and deservedly won the WTC.

In the last English summer, the 3 nil scoreline flattered us, there wasn't that much between the teams.

But since then, things have started to turn against the team a bit. Boult not being available is a big loss and so obviously is the injury to Jamieson.

Suddenly the attack looks a bit ordinary particularly with Southee and Wagner on the slide.

The batting still looks solid but replacing the seam attack that has served NZ so well won't be easy and TBH I think this is a good time for England to be playing NZ.