• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag vs Sangakkara - as batsman

Who is the better bat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flem274*

123/5
this just in - batsman scores most centuries against team he plays most and team who usually struggle a bit.

i've seen sanga score two tons on our patch and they were masterful in difficult conditions against good bowlers.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
View attachment 34306

He really took his game to the next level by smashing 5 tons in 7 innings against Bangers including a triple ton. And kept playing his favourite opponent Pakistan... Not surprised at all what he did in the last 5 years. Truly overrated!
Not going to lie, I was going to dismiss this immediately like the last time you brought up his Pakistan record, but this part of his career is actually more statistically skewed than I expected.

Doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot overall because he's not overrated, but it's a little less statistically impressive when you've put it like this, so gotta hand it to you lol.

Gob

International Coach
Not going to lie, I was going to dismiss this immediately like the last time you brought up his Pakistan record, but this part of his career is actually more statistically skewed than I expected.

Doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot overall because he's not overrated, but it's a little less statistically impressive when you've put it like this, so gotta hand it to you lol.
Yeah expected better. He made two back to back double tons vs Bangladesh before that period too.

centurymaker

International Captain

I am shocked that nostalgia/seeing him through rose tinted glasses has got the better of everyone here ---because last I remember, he was a tier below Ponting Kallis Dravid and co... And this was the common consensus on this forum as well! Ever after the retirement of the above three batsmen.

In the last 7+ years I have hardly read or engaged in these h2h threads except on the odd occasion. But just casually I clicked on Kallis v Dravid v Sanga thread and was taken aback by the drastic change in 'opinion' from

Kallis>Dravid>Sanga ........
to
Sanga>Kallis>Dravid.

The guy who was a tier below the others was suddenly seen to be above them ...YEARS AFTER retirement! This is perfect example of someone being overrated. It seems in the last several years everyone's been slowly rating Sanga a little higher and higher and by now everyone thinks alike and believes Sanga >> rest.

I am sure you guys won't see this but to me it definitely looks to be that way. That's why I have been shocked. This guy was seen as HTB FTB SCB for so long. He did well to remove those tags but now he is above players who were never regarded as HTB/ FTBs.

subshakerz

International Coach
The case is pretty clear. Sehwag was a muppet in NZ, SA and ENG while Sanga was not. With a hole that big in Sehwag's record, this isnt really a serious comparison.

centurymaker

International Captain
Meanwhile, Sehwag averaged in the 20s in his last three years.
This is not about Sehwag at all.

It's about how a player's been elevated to unimaginable heights... just because they finished their career well and batted aesthetically.

We tend to more vividly remember later parts of a player's career and that has a significant bearing on how we remember/rate that player years down the line.

centurymaker

International Captain
Ponting is underrated now because of his failures later on. He mugged up all his averages and so did Dravid. And because they didn't finish well and we remember their struggles more vividly, we begin to underrate them. Sanga on the other hand, didn't really have that late career **** up and plus he batted so aesthetically till 2015 so we are automatically thinking he was so damn good. It's more recent and there's less negative data about him in our minds from later years. I guess this explains what's going on..

subshakerz

International Coach
This is not about Sehwag at all.

It's about how a player's been elevated to unimaginable heights... just because they finished their career well and batted aesthetically.

We tend to more vividly remember later parts of a player's career and that has a significant bearing on how we remember/rate that player years down the line.
It's less about remembering the way they ended and more about where they actually end up.

A player's late career performance definitely impacts their standing. If Tendulkar ended his career in 2011, he would be rated higher. If Viv ended his career in 1988, he would be rated higher. If Ponting ended his career in 2007, he would be rated higher.

Sehwag's last three years took the shine off his standing. Sanga, by comparison, had no dip but just extended his peak which obviously should make his standing higher.

Gob

International Coach
Meh, it's pretty silly to just take a slice of his peak like that. He has a ten year peak averaging 60 plus and from 2006 to 2009, he averaged 67.
What I'm saying is that he bashed around minnows a lot compared to his peers and by his peers I meant Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Dravid. He is way ahead of Sehwag

Or Was Kallis a bit of a minnow basher too? Remember that going around a bit back then

subshakerz

International Coach
I am shocked that nostalgia/seeing him through rose tinted glasses has got the better of everyone here ---because last I remember, he was a tier below Ponting Kallis Dravid and co... And this was the common consensus on this forum as well! Ever after the retirement of the above three batsmen.

In the last 7+ years I have hardly read or engaged in these h2h threads except on the odd occasion. But just casually I clicked on Kallis v Dravid v Sanga thread and was taken aback by the drastic change in 'opinion' from

Kallis>Dravid>Sanga ........
to
Sanga>Kallis>Dravid.

The guy who was a tier below the others was suddenly seen to be above them ...YEARS AFTER retirement! This is perfect example of someone being overrated. It seems in the last several years everyone's been slowly rating Sanga a little higher and higher and by now everyone thinks alike and believes Sanga >> rest.

I am sure you guys won't see this but to me it definitely looks to be that way. That's why I have been shocked. This guy was seen as HTB FTB SCB for so long. He did well to remove those tags but now he is above players who were never regarded as HTB/ FTBs.
Kallis and Dravid had the advantage of debuting earlier than Sanga and establishing their names before him. So I would expect they would be rated ahead of Sanga for the majority of his career until Sanga could produce a long enough stretch of elite performance which makes his case for comparison undeniable.

subshakerz

International Coach
What I'm saying is that he bashed around minnows a lot compared to his peers and by his peers I meant Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Dravid. He is way ahead of Sehwag

Or Was Kallis a bit of a minnow basher too? Remember that going around a bit back then
Sanga and Kallis were both minnow bashers and Sanga also cashed in on easier home wickets. Both Kallis and Sanga have inflated averages, Sanga likely moreso, but then he averages higher too.

By the way, Dravid and Tendulkar also did their fair share of minnow bashing too.

Gob

International Coach
Sanga and Kallis were both minnow bashers and Sanga also cashed in on easier home wickets. Both Kallis and Sanga have inflated averages, Sanga likely moreso, but then he averages higher too.

By the way, Dravid and Tendulkar also did their fair share of minnow bashing too.
Screenshot_20230124-172858_Chrome.jpg

Without minnows since 1990