• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus XI india tour?

halba

International 12th Man
1. assume pitches are turners(india will prepare the same)
2. Green will miss india tour(feb) but be available for IPL in late March.
3. Starc will miss india tour. Both have had finger surgery and wont recover by Feb.

Khawaja
Warner
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Lyon
Swepson
Hazlewood/Murphy

Selectors will include Swepson as he is a leg spinner, whereas Murphy is more a Lyon clone.

India will be throwing 3 spinners at us- Ashwin, Axar, Jadeja , with pacers Yadav, Siraj and Bumrah in the mix depending on Bumrah's injury progress.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
3. Starc will miss india tour. Both have had finger surgery and wont recover by Feb.

Khawaja
Warner
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Lyon
Swepson
Hazlewood/Murphy

Selectors will include Swepson as he is a leg spinner, whereas Murphy is more a Lyon clone.

India will be throwing 3 spinners at us- Ashwin, Axar, Jadeja , with pacers Yadav, Siraj and Bumrah in the mix depending on Bumrah's injury progress.
Sooo Boland isn't an option for Australia?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Green will apparently be back well before Starc and should be right for the whole tour

But if he isn’t then I suppose

warner
Usman
Marnus
TPC
Head
Carey
Hardie (Green if fit and batting ahead of Carey)
Agar
Cummins
Haze (Starc if fit)
Lyon

Overall I think Swepson is a better bowler than Agar but manifestly unsuited to Indian conditions. Then again Travis Head is also better then Renshaw but manifestly unsuited to Indian conditions and he will play, so who knows what they’ll come up with

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach

Khawaja
Warner
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Lyon
Swepson
Hazlewood/Murphy

if we give india swepson and agar both theyll bat first and make seven hundred in two days literally every game

halba

International 12th Man
Sooo Boland isn't an option for Australia?
not on subcontinent decks. only in ashes where he will be in a very close tussle with hazlewood for 3rd seamer. 2nd seamer is Starc due to left arm variation. 2 automatic selections when fit- cummins and starc.

halba

International 12th Man
Green will apparently be back well before Starc and should be right for the whole tour

But if he isn’t then I suppose

warner
Usman
Marnus
TPC
Head
Carey
Hardie (Green if fit and batting ahead of Carey)
Agar
Cummins
Haze (Starc if fit)
Lyon

Overall I think Swepson is a better bowler than Agar but manifestly unsuited to Indian conditions. Then again Travis Head is also better then Renshaw but manifestly unsuited to Indian conditions and he will play, so who knows what they’ll come up with
Hardie is injured

WA teammate Aaron Hardie is another on the Scorchers growing injury list, with
the allrounder missing the Thunder game with a minor quad complaint.

Also he has stated not ready for test cricket yet. Needs more seasons in shield.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Shami is in that mix too. He will play before Yadav does.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Assuming a turner and Green and Starc out, then I would pick the same XI as for the SCG test.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
In the last FC match at Nagpur, Dec 27-29 slow left armer Abid Mushtaq 8 wickets and shot out Vidarbha for 101, if we can take anything from that.

There was also this test against South Africa in 2015 when Ashwin took 12 wickets, and 33 of 40 wickets were taken by spinners in a low-scoring match.

Obviously India will get what they want, but if they want a turner, they will get it, by the looks of things.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Our strength is our pace attack + Lyon. Agar looked pretty average this test. Why is it assumed you need two spinners in the subcontinent when it’s obvious our third and fourth pace options (Haze and Boland) are better than any spinner in the country who’s not Lyon?

Providing Green is fit as a fifth option we can field a bowling attack of

Cummins
Haze
Starc/Boland
Green
Lyon
Plus random spin overs from Head, Labuschagne and Smith.

Playing mediocre spinners on the subcontinent is a mistake we don’t need to keep making.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just don't see the point of picking Hazlewood in those circumstances. I'd honestly rather another batsman who bowls some spin. Otherwise we end up in the situation that happened in Rawalpindi where Hazlewood barely bowls after the initial new ball burst.

If there's an actual reason you want the third (fourth!) seamer when we already have Green, like there's some particular skill or variety then okay sure but otherwise "guy who bowls reasonable accurate left arm tweakers and can hang around for runs" is as good as we're going to get. Which I know ends up being the argument for Ashton Agar, but oh well.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Fair enough.

If that’s the case, I’d rather we pick Murphy as an actual spinning weapon.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I just don't see the point of picking Hazlewood in those circumstances. I'd honestly rather another batsman who bowls some spin. Otherwise we end up in the situation that happened in Rawalpindi where Hazlewood barely bowls after the initial new ball burst.

If there's an actual reason you want the third (fourth!) seamer when we already have Green, like there's some particular skill or variety then okay sure but otherwise "guy who bowls reasonable accurate left arm tweakers and can hang around for runs" is as good as we're going to get. Which I know ends up being the argument for Ashton Agar, but oh well.
i feel that the existence of travis head here renders agar otiose given he's better on both those fronts

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair enough.

If that’s the case, I’d rather we pick Murphy as an actual spinning weapon.
Oh so would I. But so long that Green is fit, I can't see any reasonable circumstance where we would want to play four quicks unless Dharamsala is an actual greentop somehow.

Spark

Global Moderator
i feel that the existence of travis head here renders agar otiose given he's better on both those fronts
I was about to write "poor man's Travis Head" in that post yes. I would honestly rather that over effectively playing with 10 men for the vast majority of the game, especially when there are significant concerns about the endurance of the (4th, to repeat) fast bowler in question