• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Test

All time:
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
S Smith
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali
Barnes

Since 1971
Gavaskar
Boycott
Lara
Tendulkar
S Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali
No need for 2 spinners. Barnes and Murali. Also Gvaskar over Hutton.

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Viv
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali

ataraxia

International Coach
Shall we keep going with the ODI 2nd XI, 3rd XI, etc.?

Tests was done 10 years ago in that manner by CW here; that could be run again.

subshakerz

International Coach
Great suggestions and agreed. Starc also provides variety.

Jayasuriya
Gilchrist
Ponting
Zaheer Abbas
Bevan
Watson
Klusenar
Kapil Dev
Hadlee
Starc
Warne

The team has 7 solid bowling options plus Bevan and also bats up to 11. Hitting power throughout while the middle order can also consolidate the innings quite well. I am sure this team can give the first team a run for its money.
This XI will be destroyed by the first XI. Too much difference in bowling quality. Hadlee/Warne are the only top tier and they cant bowl out the other XI by themselves.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this is exactly what I voted for. Not often I'm the normie option here.
Yeah it's pretty much the XI I'd have picked by myself. Decent. Might flip on #2 and #7 from time to time but this is largely the way to go imo.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why Symonds should be the 12th man - If a batsman is to be replaced, Symonds is very near the ATG level as a batsman. If a bowler is to be replaced, Symonds doesn't hurt that much because we have selected full 5 bowlers, so 4 full bowlers plus a dibbly dobbly is OK. And if you just need a replacement in the field, Symonds is among the best in business with ground fielding and direct hits.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why Symonds should be the 12th man - If a batsman is to be replaced, Symonds is very near the ATG level as a batsman. If a bowler is to be replaced, Symonds doesn't hurt that much because we have selected full 5 bowlers, so 4 full bowlers plus a dibbly dobbly is OK. And if you just need a replacement in the field, Symonds is among the best in business with ground fielding and direct hits.
What if an opener has to be replaced?

This is why I think Sanath is a better choice. Better bowler too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What if an opener has to be replaced?

This is why I think Sanath is a better choice. Better bowler too.
Kohli opens and Symonds plays in middle order.

With Jayasuriya, we can ask what if a middle order batsman has to be replaced? I suppose you'd push Lara to middle roder?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kohli opens and Symonds plays in middle order.

With Jayasuriya, we can ask what if a middle order batsman has to be replaced? I suppose you'd push Lara to middle roder?
Yeah we already have a middle-order bat opening so I thought picking an opener as a reserve made more sense.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Watson then. He has legit played in middle order and as opener both. Somehow Jayasuriya feels like lottery player to me.