• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time ODI XI

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think most people agree on the following:

1 Tendulkar
3 Viv
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath

Some people are edgy hipsters and I'm usually one of them, but not on this, so I'm going to kind of take that as given.

The real debates are over the keeper and the fifth bowler combination. If people choose Dhoni, some of them have opted for using Watto/Jaya as an opener to give cover as sixth bowler. Most people who did that also picked Klusener (makes sense - gun sixth bowler means your fifth bowler can be weaker). But the real real real debate is basically over this allrounder/#7 spot, because we haven't had anyone in ODI history yet actually make it a lock for this team. It's always a trade off.

- You pick Klusener, it weakens the bowling. Maybe you offset this with a batting allrounder as opener, maybe you don't even bother with that.
- You pick Imran, it weakens the batting, especially since he's not suited to the spot you pick him in.
- You pick Flintoff. Probably makes the most sense in terms of being a gun frontline bowler and good enough to bat top 7 at this level, but he really sucked with the bat in the role he'd be picked in, which is a serious problem.
- You pick Pollock, he almost makes it on bowling alone anyway but it seriously weakens the batting, especially since Murali already has nosebleeds.
- You pick Kapil, who is well suited to #7 and probably as good a bowler as Imran, but at this imaginary level might be a bit of a bits-and-pieces player.
- You pick Shakib, because you're @Athlai and you love him.
- You don't really pick a fifth bowler at all and just allow batsmen to bowl 10 overs for ~100 and lose to the Second XI
6. Dhoni
7. Kapil
8. Pollock
9. Wasim
10. Warne
11. McGrath/Garner

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kapil Dev peak ICC ratings as batsman is more than Watson , Symonds and Sehwag ?
@OverratedSanity @Godard
You've already been #told. This sort of stuff just makes people more sceptical of the ICC system, it doesn't help your argument.

Cribb Ranking System says Hoggard > Lillee in Tests. If I say this too loud it doesn't make people stop rating Lillee, it makes people stop taking me seriously. Learn from this.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kapil Dev peak ICC ratings as batsman is more than Watson , Symonds and Sehwag ?
@OverratedSanity @Godard
The early era stats are ****ed. David Gower is the 4th highest ever despite never being the #1 batsman in his own time. And he averaged 31 in ODIs. I reckon it's because of few ODIs being played outside WCs so a couple of good WC knocks would make you standout much more. The top 10 for bowlers is dominated by early era bowlers too. The rankings straight up suck especially when applied retrospectively.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
6. Dhoni
7. Kapil
8. Pollock
9. Wasim
10. Warne
11. McGrath/Garner
Yeah I think the biggest deviation from my hipster-free wall is people dropping a fast bowler and picking two of the bowling allrounders I listed at 7 and 8. I dig that but I just can't bring myself to actually drop any of them when I go through it.

I've got no real time for people who think Warne was better than Murali in ODIs tbh. I do now think it was true in Tests, but I cbf even acknowledging the debate in the thread for ODIs. I just like to pretend it's not real. Anyone who posts a team with Saqlain, Hogg or Warne in it was definitely drinking an IPA at the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I think the biggest deviation from my hipster-free wall is people dropping a fast bowler and picking two of the bowling allrounders I listed at 7 and 8. I dig that but I just can't bring myself to actually drop any of them when I go through it.

I've got no real time for people who think Warne was better than Murali in ODIs tbh. I do now think it was true in Tests, but I cbf even acknowledging the debate in the thread for ODIs. I just like to pretend it's not real. Anyone who posts a team with Saqlain, Hogg or Warne in it was definitely drinking an IPA at the time.
I like Harsh's side but come on, Saqlain reinvented the role of the spinner in ODI cricket. Murali was phenomenally consistent but Saqlain brought skills never seen before to the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like Harsh's side but come on, Saqlain reinvented the role of the spinner in ODI cricket. Murali was phenomenally consistent but Saqlain brought skills never seen before to the game.
Would you like me to put a slice of lime in your beer so you can pick Brad Hogg?

The early era stats are ****ed. David Gower is the 4th highest ever despite never being the #1 batsman in his own time. And he averaged 31 in ODIs. I reckon it's because of few ODIs being played outside WCs so a couple of good WC knocks would make you standout much more. The top 10 for bowlers is dominated by early era bowlers too. The rankings straight up suck especially when applied retrospectively.
ODI’s ranking is totally crap.
The historical 10 batsman/bowler ranking in test is way better than Odi’s.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

trundler

I don't like Jayasuriya as an opener in an all time side. I feel like he would get owned by great bowlers too regularly. I'd rather have Rohit open for sure but he might be too samey and doesn't have a secondary skill which is less of a problem if you have a proper 5th bowler as you should. Gilchrist is probably more of a safe bet than Jaya but still too inconsistent for my liking. On balance I'd take Rohit and just tell Tendulkar to bat like it's '98.

trundler