• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies not qualifying for this 20 20 world cup

slippy888

International Captain
Where did it all go wrong guys i have not even see a thread about this, the talent and players are some of the best in the world in this format. Maybe Pooran not a good captain and maybe someone like Royston Chase a calm cool guy better option for a few years.

loterry1994

International Debutant
There batting has always been there weak point for ages now. Even though it’s t20 they just want to blast it from ball 1 and not really build an innings and seems like most teams can bowl them under 140 runs. And also I don’t think it was smart to drop their more experienced guys like Andre Russell. I think there test side is improving a lot though.

Last edited:

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Where did it all go wrong guys i have not even see a thread about this, the talent and players are some of the best in the world in this format. Maybe Pooran not a good captain and maybe someone like Royston Chase a calm cool guy better option for a few years.
No to the first, no to the second, no to the third, no to the fourth and no to the fifth

how can you get everything so wrongly

Socerer 01

Meanwhile the reddit cricket thinks they would have won with more wastemen like Pollard in there

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Can't play spin bowling , West Indies have gotten progressively worse against spin on any surface , this was exploited by Scotland and Ireland with Watt and Delaney respectively..

Beamer

Can't play spin bowling , West Indies have gotten progressively worse against spin on any surface , this was exploited by Scotland and Ireland with Watt and Delaney respectively..
Yep this, even ordinary spin bowling works against us. A massive inability to rotate the strike is endemic in the region. Watching our List A tournament at the moment, this doesn;t look like improving anytime soon.

Ali TT

International Debutant
This really broke my heart. WI are one of the original 8 teams. I am not a fan of the modern expansion for the sake of it. No team after SL have made the cut at test level. The big 8 should have permanent berths.
I'm not a fan of giving teams a place they no longer warrant. It's not like the windies missed out due to a bad toss, they've lost 3 matches. Test record doesn't apply.

number11

U19 Captain
I'm not a fan of giving teams a place they no longer warrant. It's not like the windies missed out due to a bad toss, they've lost 3 matches. Test record doesn't apply.
I acknowledge that argument but the history of the game means something. WI are one of the pillars of the game both historically and socio-culturally. You cant have a WC without them. It loses its value and is debased. Expand it to 12 teams if you must, but that maroon must make an appearance.

Slifer

International Captain
While the WI only have themselves to blame I will say this. There is no way that if one of Australia, England or India is ranked outside the top 8, that they'll make either of those countries qualify. The ICC would probably exempt them or see the situation coming in advance and change the rules of qualification accordingly. It is what it is....

Ali TT

International Debutant
I acknowledge that argument but the history of the game means something. WI are one of the pillars of the game both historically and socio-culturally. You cant have a WC without them. It loses its value and is debased. Expand it to 12 teams if you must, but that maroon must make an appearance.
But keeping them in the tournament or retaining their status hasn't really addressed the now 30 year decline of West Indies cricket, outside the T20 side of the early 2010s. Having a West Indies side in the tournament that can't compete is worse than not having them at all, IMO.

While the WI only have themselves to blame I will say this. There is no way that if one of Australia, England or India is ranked outside the top 8, that they'll make either of those countries qualify. The ICC would probably exempt them or see the situation coming in advance and change the rules of qualification accordingly. It is what it is....
By carving up the resources of the game, those 3 countries are also future proofing themselves from that eventuality anyway. It's 1996 since a side other than one of them has won the WC already.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
This really broke my heart. WI are one of the original 8 teams. I am not a fan of the modern expansion for the sake of it. No team after SL have made the cut at test level. The big 8 should have permanent berths.
I dont know what you are on about. I agree that WI should play the WC along with 14 or so other members but NOT at the expense of other teams that also thoroughly deserving like Scotland

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
The ODI WC does not gain anything with 10 teams , it's just a glorified Champions Trophy ..
We need all Test Nations at the World Cup with 2-4 associate teams joining them , ICC underestimates the power of a World Cup to grow the game ..

WICFan

U19 Captain
While I agree the ODI CWC needs expanded, I quite liked the Super-League style qualification system.

The West Indies took a shadow side to Bangladesh and also lost a home series to Ireland, so they got themselves in this position.

Beamer

While I agree the ODI CWC needs expanded, I quite liked the Super-League style qualification system.

The West Indies took a shadow side to Bangladesh and also lost a home series to Ireland, so they got themselves in this position.
Exactly. Even one win in Bangladesh would have seen us qualify automatically. But I cannot emphasise enough that our 50 over woes are our own fault and we deserve to be precisely where we are.