• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
Would be interested in the answer myself actually, Stumped website says the following - "Captaincy does not have a potential, but is slowly learnt on the job though remains a largely innate ability (or lack of)." That doesn't offer much in terms of an answer but would guess if it does improve more quickly from a low base it would only be slightly more quickly as there is no potential and its deemed to be a largely innate ability.
Hi JJ - well the default way Stumped works for improving your skills is - it happens quicker when you're younger and slows up as you reach your potential as you know

However captaincy could be a different kettle of fish!

Potentially everyone must be able to reach 20 (OR MAYBE NOT - I might have made a wrong assumption there - see later!) and it might be that you need to say be captain in 10 matches to move your skill by 1 so 200 matches to move from 0 to 20. However maybe someone has innate captaincy ability to they only need 100 matches to reach it whilst someone else would need 500 ????

However, i don't think this would mirror cricketing reality - i reckon your marginal ability to learn more on captaincy tails off with each match in real life - (ie you will learn a whole lot more in your 0-10th captaincy matches than in your 190th - 200th - so on that basis i reckon it would be fair if it follows the other skill patterns

It might also be reality that a 17 year old learns captaincy quicker than a 28 year old who is rather set in his ways. Devils advocate though would say a 28 year old has so much general experience that he can pick up captaincy much quicker than a newby with no experience

So i got us no further at all on that one ! lol

You say the rules say captaincy does not have potential - but i dont even know what that is trying to tell us. I mean everyone's potentail is 20 isnt it??? or is it saying that there is a glass celing that si diiferent for everyone. Smith (16 yrs 0 weeks) starts as 3 and so does Jones (same age) but if you gave then 100 matches each of the same type and length Smith reaches 17 but Jones is on 11 it is not clear without a potential if there is just a uniform or unique mechanism for captaincy development

I suppsoe i could go back and look waht captaincy level each of my players began with; at what age and then see what it is now ( capatincy level and age) and then see how many matches and what type they have played to start to get some actual 'data' but omg - thats a lot of le work for such a minor question!!!

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Nice 102 for Robin Oxley, GG CC v AX-W.

Dunno much about captaincy, really just that experience comes into play as well.

lol @ Green + Ramsbottom 67 (59) 9th-wicket partnership to steal a CWC victory against TMO a couple of days back

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Hi JJ - well the default way Stumped works for improving your skills is - it happens quicker when you're younger and slows up as you reach your potential as you know

However captaincy could be a different kettle of fish!

Potentially everyone must be able to reach 20 (OR MAYBE NOT - I might have made a wrong assumption there - see later!) and it might be that you need to say be captain in 10 matches to move your skill by 1 so 200 matches to move from 0 to 20. However maybe someone has innate captaincy ability to they only need 100 matches to reach it whilst someone else would need 500 ????

However, i don't think this would mirror cricketing reality - i reckon your marginal ability to learn more on captaincy tails off with each match in real life - (ie you will learn a whole lot more in your 0-10th captaincy matches than in your 190th - 200th - so on that basis i reckon it would be fair if it follows the other skill patterns

It might also be reality that a 17 year old learns captaincy quicker than a 28 year old who is rather set in his ways. Devils advocate though would say a 28 year old has so much general experience that he can pick up captaincy much quicker than a newby with no experience

So i got us no further at all on that one ! lol

You say the rules say captaincy does not have potential - but i dont even know what that is trying to tell us. I mean everyone's potentail is 20 isnt it??? or is it saying that there is a glass celing that si diiferent for everyone. Smith (16 yrs 0 weeks) starts as 3 and so does Jones (same age) but if you gave then 100 matches each of the same type and length Smith reaches 17 but Jones is on 11 it is not clear without a potential if there is just a uniform or unique mechanism for captaincy development

I suppsoe i could go back and look waht captaincy level each of my players began with; at what age and then see what it is now ( capatincy level and age) and then see how many matches and what type they have played to start to get some actual 'data' but omg - thats a lot of le work for such a minor question!!!
My thought (and it is just a thought) with it being an innate ability is that it would grow slowly - so everyone could theoretically reach 20 captaincy but the work needed to get someone from 3 captaincy to 20 captaincy would be very difficult, so whilst getting someone from 3 to 4 captaincy might be easier than getting someone from 10 to 11 the change it would only be marginally easier as more focus is placed on innate ability/starting ability than the potential to develop. They are just my thoughts based on the quote I included above. I've looked at Dilshan Jayawickrama at Charminster - I'm not sure how many games he's captained but he's certainly captained in quite a few games and his captaincy has risen from 8 to 10. He's played 40 competitive games for us and is aged 17 years and 10 weeks for context. He's won 27, Lost 13. This is his record for us in all games played - not sure how many he's captained but he is my go to captain in recent times.

ataraxia

International Coach
My thought (and it is just a thought) with it being an innate ability is that it would grow slowly - so everyone could theoretically reach 20 captaincy but the work needed to get someone from 3 captaincy to 20 captaincy would be very difficult, so whilst getting someone from 3 to 4 captaincy might be easier than getting someone from 10 to 11 the change it would only be marginally easier as more focus is placed on innate ability/starting ability than the potential to develop. They are just my thoughts based on the quote I included above. I've looked at Dilshan Jayawickrama at Charminster - I'm not sure how many games he's captained but he's certainly captained in quite a few games and his captaincy has risen from 8 to 10. He's played 40 competitive games for us and is aged 17 years and 10 weeks for context. He's won 27, Lost 13. This is his record for us in all games played - not sure how many he's captained but he is my go to captain in recent times.
29, ftr. Most of any Charminster player.

1665353770424.png

ataraxia

International Coach
After GG's comfortable win over AX-W, AXI are playing them in a T20. The tone was set by Ernst Levy slogging the first five balls, and now they are 105-3 (10). Kaiser has bowled out; he has been expensive but has nabbed all three wickets.

JOJOXI

Decided to look at some of my Winton CC players DEV Friendly records and see any interesting trends - given my players are all of DEV age the most interesting as to see which ones are performing v their CWC DEV peers and which ones are not. Posted an overall record and then vs club record v sides I've faced quite a bit

Rob Tweddle - 1,942 runs @ 29.42, SR 84.36, HS 95

vs Z*rax CC - 221 runs @ 44.2, SR 96.93, HS 95
vs Ashgrove Astronauts - 176 runs @ 44, SR 91.67, HS 64*

vs The Merry Orangutans - 441 runs @ 36.75, SR 91.88, HS 70

vs Ataraxia - 298 runs @ 33.11, SR 89.49, HS 55*
vs Dynamo Morpork - 192 runs @ 32, SR 100.52, HS 45*
vs Free HK - 188 runs @ 26.86, SR 80.34, HS 50
vs Jura CC - 160 runs @ 26.67, SR 77.29, HS 43*

vs Moo - 153 runs @ 19.13, SR 77.27, HS 68

Rob Tweddle also had a run of 3 successive ducks v Dynamo Morpork ended in our previous DEV Friendly

Wouter Zietsman - 992 runs @ 28.34, SR 82.60, HS 103

vs Ataraxia - 187 runs @ 46.75, SR 101.08, HS 103
vs Ashgrove Astronauts - 122 runs @ 30.5, SR 70.93, HS 61
vs Z*rax CC - 60 runs @ 30, SR 100.00, HS 42

vs Moooo - 193 runs @ 27.57, SR 87.73, HS 75
vs The Merry Orangutans - 180 runs @ 25.71, SR 67.92, HS 48

vs Jura CC - 59 runs @ 14.75, SR 72.84, HS 32

Jacob West - 909 runs @ 28.41, SR 71.57, HS 123*

vs Ashgrove Astronauts - 196 runs @ 65.33, SR 85.22, HS 123*
vs Zor*x CC - 96 runs @ 48, SR 57.49, HS 49

vs The Merry Orangutans - 164 runs @ 23.43, SR 77.36, HS 77
vs Ataraxia - 104 runs @ 20.80, SR 75.91, HS 65

vs Moooo - 59 runs @ 19.67, SR 115.69, HS 40

Jacob West has scores of 69 and 77 vs The Merry Orangutans but in his 5 other knocks has 4 single figure scores and a highest score of 13.

Minesh Rana in 4 DEV innings v AtaraXIa has 85 runs at an average of 21.25 but the notable stat is his SR of 54.49!
Minesh Rana in 2 DEV innings v Moooo has 58 runs at an average of 29 but once again the SR is 42.03!!!

Hannan Jaffer - 53 wickets @ 18.64, BB 4-22, Eco 4.73

vs Ashgrove Astronauts - 9 wickets @ 11.67, BB 4-38, Eco 3.77
vs AtaraXIa - 7 wickets @ 12.00, BB 3-18, Eco 3.79 84 runs

vs The Merry Orangutans - 12 wickets @ 22.58, BB 4-22, Eco 5.40

Might continue this with a few more players when I have time although from Winton these are the main players minus Benjamin Woodford with a decent sample size of DEV Friendly matches.

Makes me temped to arrange some DEV Friendly series - probably will seek to challenge those in opposite division to one we end up in for CWC6 then challenge those in our division post CWC6.

ataraxia

International Coach
Love that work. I thought samplesizelol would play a factor but especially for Tweddle it is good enough. I'm interested to try this out with my players.

JOJOXI

Love that work. I thought samplesizelol would play a factor but especially for Tweddle it is good enough. I'm interested to try this out with my players.
Yeah Tweddle at 21 and was recruited by our scouts so been at the club for my whole time at Stumped minus the first month and a half.
Jacob West 19 years and 13 weeks and bought over half a year (in game time) after he first started in the game
Wouter Zietsman about to turn 21 but spent his first 5 months (in game time) so 20ish weeks almost 1.5 years (in game time) at other clubs before joining us.

Had a look at our record v Moooo in Tweddle's list of DEV Friendly scores and its won 3, lost 5 in games he's played. Was intrigued as the batsman I've included here are probably our 3 best batters (Rana and Zietsman joint 3rd when it comes to current ability but Rana often forgets he's playing a limited overs game... But was intrigued as probably our 3 best batsman really seem to struggle vs Moooo

JOJOXI

Also done a quick look at Where are they Now - basically players I've sold for decent money and seeing where they are now

Henry Sheehan our record sale is now at Outlaws who are in the same DEV 1.1 group as Jura CC

My 2nd highest sale, batter Jacob Jennings will be playing Z*rax CC later this week as they share an SOD 2.1 group. Z*rax CC and Jennings' Wallsend Slipway our both on 3 wins and 3 defeats after 6 matches

My former captain and 4th most capped player in Winton CC history Yosuke Glenn will be a familiar face to StephenZA and Jarquis as his Dream City side share a DEV 3.6 group with The Net Theorists (albeit Glenn is 22 now) and a T20 3.6 group with Plymouth Pirates

21-year-old Matt Lang of Ashgrove Astronauts was a former Winton CC cricketer before completing a $13,100 move to his current club.

$100,001 man Takaedza Eugene moved from Winton CC to current club Sherlocks who share a SOD 2.2 group with ataraXIa and GG CC as well as a DEV 1.1 group with Winton CC affiliate club Charminster CC.

Our Winton CC side have a net spend of $507,649, for Charminster CC we have a net income from our transfer activity of $440,152.

Hoping that we can get that Winton CC spend towards break even at the end of the season when some of the established DEV players will be put on the transfer market.

JOJOXI

Links for CWC6 Premier Division and Second Divison after the completion of Groups A-C. (What a finish in Dynamo Schmaltzberg v Ataraxia match I might add!)

Premier Division - https://www.stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=163

Second Division - https://www.stumpedgame.com/ViewFriendlyComp.php?CompID=164

@cnerd123 @Charlie B @JOJOXI @Jarquis @Magrat Garlick @StephenZA @honestbharani @ataraxia @SillyCowCorner1
Managers still to apply for their teams to join respective leagues

@cnerd123 @Charlie B @Jarquis @honestbharani @SillyCowCorner1

ataraxia

International Coach
Lawrie Milbank scored 260 runs in his two CWC games against the Plymouth Pirates -- 260 alone being more than any other Pool B player across the six matches, let alone his other 200 runs --, and has now thrashed AX-W for 137. He's coming along nicely from the former blocker, as are Charminster in general, topping three divs and their pool.

JOJOXI

Lawrie Milbank scored 260 runs in his two CWC games against the Plymouth Pirates -- 260 alone being more than any other Pool B player across the six matches, let alone his other 200 runs --, and has now thrashed AX-W for 137. He's coming along nicely from the former blocker, as are Charminster in general, topping three divs and their pool.
If we had a slightly better support cast with the bat would like our chances for CWC6. Ramsey didn't have the best run in the pools with just 112 runs but like him and Milbank as an opening pair and Fairhurst at 3 (I don't know if you recall but was the batsman I was very excited about after a youth pull. However, after that its a bit more sketchy - Human has good attack rating but awful defence so seeing if I can get anything out of him up the order, Mhlabandlovu averages 15 in DEV friendlies, Doyle is a recent signing, Leary is now left hand defiant, I'm planning on selling Burton soon, Yavatkar at 6 SS and 16 years of age isn't ready yet and after that we are looking at Jayawickrama, Dickins and Powell who are all bowlers who aren't awful with the bat.

But thanks it is nice to see his progression, uncertain yet but he may be up for sale at end of CWC6. I think I'll keep Charminster a bit more intact but planning major overhauls of both teams - hoping I can rake in good money and almost build a foundation as a selling club at first and then try to build from there. My first year at Winton was way too short-term in approach in retrospect

cnerd123

likes this
ZCC and FHK have joined the CWC6 Div 2 :sadwalk:

Hopefully have some time after work tomorrow to follow up on BD Nat stuff. Please keep your players skills revealed! ATM I've highlighted some players who were already in the squad / A Team last season + those with high potentials that suit T20 for follow up. Then I methodically go through the remaining players in the database + start scouting in all BD supporters squads + all top T20 teams + CW squads

cnerd123

likes this
ZCC's search for a new groundsman continues

We purchased 29-year old Johann Kraus from the TM for 1k. Gave him a chance to rep ZCC in a friendly vs Jura CC before he clicked over to 30 years old, at which point we offered him a groundsman job, hoping for a basic skillset that wouldn't break the bank.

Turns out Johann is a natural at it.

1665501297490.png

For context - only 7 players in the ZCC squad are taking back more than $10k a month, our current groundsman is on $920

Sigh