• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
I reckon Winton's is a low-key gun side. Rolled peak AXI in a couple of T20s a few months ago.

Speaking of AXI, we have our own little selection dilemma - although being in Asia (and with $5M in the bank :ph34r:) it's not near your issues. Keep one: de Klerk or Waters? And a little later down the line: Murdoch or Rusty?

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
What i find difficult to do is to let go of a youth pull! This week's youth had potential of 41 and 42 - that is good and not to feel ungrateful about (as our stats analysis tells us - getting someone of that ability is a twice a season event!). But the reality is that if i am very very lucky he will be a 36 36 senior player - and i will have spent 6 years, time and money training someone who is not good enough to cut the mustard (i think- will come back to that later!) to help us to be Div 2 promotion challengers - he will only keep me in the 'hamster wheel'!

But he is a good player - it hurts to try and sell him and end up if i am lucky covering his wage for the week with 1 or 2 k ! I feel like he should be worth more - but that's probably where i fall down- it is not what u think, it is what the market says, that matters!

The other 'issue' with collecting these AR youth pulls is they need nets in 2 skills and a lot of IGT and therefore also a great deal of stamina!

(Yes, i know I'm telling you what u already know (lol), but at least u might be nodding your heads. I'm not complaining really, that is the beautiful conundrum of stumped isn't it (?), trying to juggle all the variables and get ahead!

Going back to this youth as an example - what do you think about actuals - Say you have two players who are both RM and one is 39 and the other 37 one with 18 batting and the other 32. Which would you rather have in your team??? Is the difference between being 39 actual and 36 just 3/39 = 7.6% or is a difference at these higher levels rather than being only marginal actually incredibly important - ( i use an example of a 100 metres runner - someone who runs 10.0. never gets a medal , someone who runs 9.58 (4% faster- is a world beater) - which way around does stumped work?

IT makes an impact because then u should focus on excellence in one skill rather than mediocrity in two maybe

(Yes you are right - i have the day off!! lol)

cnerd123

likes this
very tough calls. I find myself trying to weigh up overall skills vs skill balance vs experience vs are they just underperforming because I've been using them poorly.

Ed Halliday is a 46 potential batter whose skill set should suit T20s. 39 actual skill, 12-10-17 atm. But his career record in the format is average of 9.27 and a SR of 121 after 31 innings. Now how much of that is down to playing games when young and raw, and batting so late in the order that he can't get going under pressure and against proper death bowlers? Or maybe his attack skills looks impressive but is overrated., and his SS/Def are just well below where they should be for someone to succeed in a competitive Div 2? Maybe now that he's closer to his potentials he'll begin to fire - he's only had two innings in T20 cricket this season, a duck and a 5 off 3. But his Dev record has been much better. He probably should get a run at a Top 6 position, but how much rope does he get?

No easy answers in this game. It's why it's so addictive. Not that long ago that T20 was ZCC's best format, but now we're really struggling.

FHK meanwhile have assembled a team that basically runs on autopilot. I haven't touched the default orders for over a season now haha.

ataraxia

International Coach
Open with Halliday. Have him pinch-hit, at least on low, dry pitches. Best option for young, aggressive T20 bats imo.

As well as being good it's also very fun lol

cnerd123

likes this
Open with Halliday. Have him pinch-hit, at least on low, dry pitches. Best option for young, aggressive T20 bats imo.

As well as being good it's also very fun lol
Definitely going to give Samra -17/9/15- a crack at opening the batting in all conditions now. Considering letting Halliday have a stint at number 5 and seeing how that plays out.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So I have similar issues with TMOs at the moment... they way I've gone about it though is to look at raw stats/skills first (who I would like to play where), then I look at traits, then I look at experience. This also allows me to see redundancy and also what I lack in the team and what I should look for on the market. This also means which players are most likely to be on the chopping block.

TMOS largest single problem is fielding, which I will struggle with for awhile because all my best bats are poor fielders.

cnerd123

likes this
So our search for a groundsman continues, with 33 year old Milind Neeru picked off the TM for low sum of 3K (would have been just 1K if not for a cheeky bid from @JOJOXI !)

View attachment 33195

A decorated veteran with 467 competitive games, and over 1000 matches overall. We rolled the dice and offered him a groundsman gig as soon as he arrived at the club, and he accepted it:

View attachment 33197

Exactly what we were looking for! His consistency will the perfect foil for Anwar Hussains knack at adjustments:

View attachment 33198

Both happy to work on fairly low salaries, both men in their early 30s as well. It seems that we have finally solved this problem!

And on that note - can anyone please buy Johann Kraus off ZCC and sell him back to FHK please? :p ZCC cannot afford him and FHK might be able to keep him on retainer until he's finally sold off.

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
very tough calls. I find myself trying to weigh up overall skills vs skill balance vs experience vs are they just underperforming because I've been using them poorly.

Ed Halliday is a 46 potential batter whose skill set should suit T20s. 39 actual skill, 12-10-17 atm. But his career record in the format is average of 9.27 and a SR of 121 after 31 innings. Now how much of that is down to playing games when young and raw, and batting so late in the order that he can't get going under pressure and against proper death bowlers? Or maybe his attack skills looks impressive but is overrated., and his SS/Def are just well below where they should be for someone to succeed in a competitive Div 2? Maybe now that he's closer to his potentials he'll begin to fire - he's only had two innings in T20 cricket this season, a duck and a 5 off 3. But his Dev record has been much better. He probably should get a run at a Top 6 position, but how much rope does he get?

No easy answers in this game. It's why it's so addictive. Not that long ago that T20 was ZCC's best format, but now we're really struggling.

FHK meanwhile have assembled a team that basically runs on autopilot. I haven't touched the default orders for over a season now haha.
Yeah that's a great story re Halliday - i have a 38 bat (but he is 25 ) with a similar split. He doesnt seem to come off much which makes me think that his brilliant attack is irrelevant because his SS is too poor for him to last many balls. Being Attack heavy then like you i put him at 6 but liek you often he comes to the wicket and we want miracles. Of course i havent thought of starting with him as Ataraxia suggests) because i have better SS / Def openers to go there and they would then be coming in at 6 with a attack of 10 or so - but maybe I will give it a go

The other top point you make is there are so many variables and it is hard to condemn a man on the basis of half a dozen matches - all good stuff to hear about from you guys! Sharing information in CWC you hope might help us all raise our levels a little Stumped proper (you are Top 20 though Z so i am not sure how much higher u can go!)

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
So I have similar issues with TMOs at the moment... they way I've gone about it though is to look at raw stats/skills first (who I would like to play where), then I look at traits, then I look at experience. This also allows me to see redundancy and also what I lack in the team and what I should look for on the market. This also means which players are most likely to be on the chopping block.

TMOS largest single problem is fielding, which I will struggle with for awhile because all my best bats are poor fielders.
Yes some good strategy there.... fielding is my opportunity over the next 3 seasons - when i began i didnt look at fielding when buyign in or keeping youth- i am not hard on myself for that, i didnt have much money so u could get a lot of bang for not much buck - but these day i often see my team 10 k down in fiedling to my opposition and dont dare look at the commentary to see how that is turning out

As an aside i have a bullet arm guy who is a weak fielder but it is quite amazing how many run outs he gets - more RO than Ct! I am impressed with the bullet arm trait!

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So GG’s weekly training update:

8 increases
3 decreases

Cornelius Human lost 2 of his skills( in batting and bowling)…maybe two time to retire him. He’s only 25 tho.

A dilemma

Charlie B

U19 Vice-Captain
So GG’s weekly training update:

8 increases
3 decreases

Cornelius Human lost 2 of his skills( in batting and bowling)…maybe two time to retire him. He’s only 25 tho.

A dilemma
Hard to keep these old timers batting and bowling enough to keep their skills up and juggle the youths who need there games to drag them quickly away from being a total liability in any match! you can sometimes hide a youth with actual 24 batting but 12 is a different story!

SillyCowCorner1

Hard to keep these old timers batting and bowling enough to keep their skills up and juggle the youths who need there games to drag them quickly away from being a total liability in any match! you can sometimes hide a youth with actual 24 batting but 12 is a different story!
Strange story with Cornelius Human. A few seasons away we sold him for a decent price…only to find him back on the market for a lesser price. So I brought him and since then he’s been a crucial member of GG’s core. A core which is quite strong (exp, fielding, skills combined)

I’ll have to pull the plug on him though. There’s another AR in our squad that’s young and raring to go. 20 year old Bhavesh Meyappan. Better potentials than Cornelius

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Out of interest does anyone know if quality of opposition impacts IGT at all. Thinking ahead to end of season revamp and if being likely worst human side in all my leagues will have any side benefits. I'm guessing the answer is no but would make sense to some degree if it did

SillyCowCorner1

Out of interest does anyone know if quality of opposition impacts IGT at all. Thinking ahead to end of season revamp and if being likely worst human side in all my leagues will have any side benefits. I'm guessing the answer is no but would make sense to some degree if it did
I mean it should improve the morale of players from your team...I don't necessarily know what it does to individual skills.

Captain should get a pop in captaincy?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I will later this evening give an entire run down from my POV on the TMO and TNT squads where I see them at; what my plans are for now and for the future; and where I am having difficulty in picking players to keep or get rid of.

cnerd123

likes this
IGT is consistent regardless of league/opposition. Just match format + overs bowled has an impact