• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who retired too early.

Tom Flint

International Regular
There are lots of players who probably dented their averages by retiring too late (sachin, ponting ect) but who are the ones who retired from tests whose average was not on the decline or may have even improved. Sangakara is one for me, he finished on 57 but watching him in his final years I would say he as good as he ever was and could have still played for 3 or 4 more years.
Examples of batsman and bowlers please

Tom Flint

International Regular
He hasn’t technically retired per se, but Alistair Cook
Not sure I think he still was our best opener when he retired but I'm not sure he would have increased his average. He had a quietish last couple years other than the big one in Melbourne and the India ton from memory

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure I think he still was our best opener when he retired but I'm not sure he would have increased his average. He had a quietish last couple years other than the big one in Melbourne and the India ton from memory
Yeah I don't think he was on the improve but he is so far ahead of any other opener in England, that he could still be playing now and Eng would be a far better team for it.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warney would probably have still been our best spinner up until the time Lyon came into the team, so possibly him.

Mark Taylor only retired a few Tests after the 334 which was interesting.

Burgey

Would have thought Damien Martyn still had a fair bit to offer when he pulled the pin. Hussey too.

Daemon

Sanga
AB de Villiers
Strauss
G Smith
Swann
Morne
Chanders (dropped I s’pose but still)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Taylor went out a bit early, as morgie stated he'd just hit the 334 and found his mojo again. A lot of his batting peers went playing way past his retirement age of 34. Felt like that generation all lasted til at least 36-37 other than him and Healy, though Healy was forced out for Gilly