• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
If that was the case then he should have got a contract last year don't you think and not this year?
No, I don't think. But it's part of the package that has got him in the picture.

Take for instance Finn Allen, one outstanding season at super smash and he's now played for NZ. Will be a shoo in for Black caps at t20 and gigs around the world.

The pathway has definitely been changing.

Toiling at PS what does that get you?

I'm not talking about the contract but in general the change in pathway and the prominence of t20 over other formats.
An NZC central contract?
OK, I know you just said "I'm not talking about the contract but in general the change in pathway"

Note that Finn Allen isn't considered rounded/valuable enough yet. But Macewell has.

If Allen had a decent tournament in the last 2 years in one of either Plunket or Ford Trophy, like Macewell. He would have a central contract now I reckon.

Last edited:

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
In regards to the Rachin thing, he needs to be developed as an opening batsman for the best outcomes for our Test side. That's where he played at age group level - he is mentally accustomed, and somewhat technically, to open the batting. Trying to shoehorn him in at 6 because he bowls some passably decent off-spin is going to do nothing for us in the short and long term.

The only issue is, if he is going to keep wanting to be desirable as a short form cricketer (which is his right). I would like to see him get as much red ball cricket as he can get - that's for Wellington, NZ A, county cricket if possible etc - as an opener and continue to build his game technically and the ability to construct an innings
. I haven't followed his career as tightly as others, but I seem to recall - like Latham - a solid enough technique and no issues in getting started, only to get out regularly after starts (borne out by 12 FC 50s and 3 hundred) - more so outside off stump for Ravindra (whilst Latham gets out in every manner under the sun, nothing consistently).
EXACTLY this.

Im 100% with him learning his trade. He's been building up an accumulation of experience batting, rather than trying to become a different profile player to what his game has been constructed around, and learn that in the most difficult environment.

Immenso

At the end of the day you have to look after yourself as a player. One dip in form, an injury will make you redundant if you are on the fringes. Particularly for those that bowl pace. Our domestic contracts are not worthy enough the toil in my opinion if you are over 30. A small shelf life particularly if you are over 30 unless you are at the level of Kane, Boult, Southee, Conway etc...

Big bash, hundred, blast, CPL, IPL, PSL, UAE T20, T10 and the list goes on. Most will pay a minimum of 50k for a player like Neesham. If you are doing well in other leagues chances are you could get picked up by IPL for good cash. Someone like Tim David. He's been picked on his exploits in big bash.

I don't think the players worry anymore about NZC contracts, if they are good enough cash won't be a problem. The only drawback is on one will remember you unless you are representing your nation but I guess that's the trade off if you want to secure your future. For a cricketer in NZ after retirement opportunities are quite limited.
Seeing as no one , yet, younger than 34 has not worried about NZC contracts - I don't think this is true.

I'd be astonished if Neesham took that path at 31.

Not astonished at the 'morality' or 'lack of nationalism'. I just assume quality player at 31 still have ambitions beyond jobbing T20 pro.

That's a twilight years option like Munro and Elliot, McClenaghan. And fair enough. I'd fully expect him to take that option when a few years older.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I don't think Munro did it because of 'twilight years' btw.

That guy just found all the slothful zombies of the regime, people with depressed high school teacher vibes to them, to be a real drag who were ****ing with him. They manage to impede talented T20 players' professional progress with their staunch commitment to 'chup in, rarely dominate' values and general dreariness.

Last edited:

Immenso

That guy just found all the slothful zombies of the regime, people with depressed high school teacher vibes to them, to be a real drag who were ****ing with him. They manage to impede talented T20 players' professional progress with their staunch commitment to 'chup in, rarely dominite' values and general dreariness.
But human nature says he would have put up with drag if he was 4 years younger and had unfulfilled ambitions (world cups), or needed the shop window.

But, Neesham , might come to that sort of point sooner/younger than a Munro type. Because he started quite young and has got almost a decade under his belt.

nzfan

But human nature says he would have put up with drag if he was 4 years younger and had unfulfilled ambitions (world cups), or needed the shop window.

But, Neesham , might come to that sort of point sooner/younger than a Munro type. Because he started quite young and has got almost a decade under his belt.
That is exactly what I mean. Rather than the age he has spent 12 years in the domestic scene. Now to do it all over when Gary is clearly stating he's more of the t20 kind of guy what's in it for someone Jimmy Neesham in domestic cricket playing PS and Ford trophy? Gary has contract with NZC till the 2023 world cup.

I'm a fan of Gary Stead coaching but not a fan of his ability to communicate clearly. Just beats around the bush too much, get to the point man. Almost always comes across as apologetic backing the players/squads he picks. He has definitely made some great calls in the past and hope it goes all right too going forward but given how frequently there are chops/changes I feel things are starting to feel a bit unsettled. Still the core players are pretty good and at their peak so hopefully good results continue to come by.

Flem274*

123/5

That guy just found all the slothful zombies of the regime, people with depressed high school teacher vibes to them, to be a real drag who were ****ing with him. They manage to impede talented T20 players' professional progress with their staunch commitment to 'chup in, rarely dominate' values and general dreariness.
[Citation needed]

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Flem finished above about fifth out of nine in all our seasons of first-class drafts? Didn't think so. One can't help but be astonished by the unshakably dogmatic confidence he has in his own powers of intuition, after so many consecutive years of failing to deliver a big W, or even a podium finish.

He's sort of the living epitome of the mid-ranking New Zealand jobsworth type I was thinking of in my Munro post.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey look, I think it's infinitely better to be the goofy Xander, the maligned cellar dweller of New Zealand cricket drafts than it is to become a mid-ranking Principal Snyder in them, like Flem274*.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Dipak Patel is an incredibly good spin coach. Turned Ajaz into a Test 10-for taker from a club seamer. Worked with Ish throughout his formative years, and others. Just never got himself in with the 'establishment' at NZC, for which he can take a bit of partial responsibility for. Now coaches King's College 1st XI in Auckland. Bit of a waste of a guy with his coaching chops, but as above he's not blameless.
I remember someone saying when Vettori came into the test side they kept Patel on initially because he was coaching him. He coached the under 19 side to England that Kane captained but obviously didn't go on to work with the Black Caps. I think John Bracewell is back in NZ although I don't know if he is doing any coaching.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

“Extremely gutted to miss out on this, was definitely a goal of mine that I wanted to tick off,” Munro wrote on Instagram beside a list of the cup squad of 15.

“Looks like I may have played my last game for Black Caps, not by choice.”

Typical. Veering right off the trite media-coached script and into dangerously authentic passion. As with Neesham, the loose cannons to the left or the right of our corporate aims are not to be permitted.

Rachin certainly doesn't need to average 40+ in the BBL to take Munro's place, or even average 14 in the local T20 comp. Such a photogenic young lad. Such reverence and respect for everyone he interacts with, too. Those wealthy baby boomers sure wish they could've raised Rachin as their son, rather than the embarrassingly shiftless son they actually had (Hunter). Rachin could be a great fit for our ANZ advertising campaigns for years to come.

Flem274*

123/5
Has Flem finished above about fifth out of nine in all our seasons of first-class drafts? Didn't think so. One can't help but be astonished by the unshakably dogmatic confidence he has in his own powers of intuition, after so many consecutive years of failing to deliver a big W, or even a podium finish.

He's sort of the living epitome of the mid-ranking New Zealand jobsworth type I was thinking of in my Munro post.
strangely i don't measure my value as either a person or as a **** posting cricket fan on where i come in domestic drafts

but if you do, you should come to the big boy leagues at cricsim if pews ever finishes his database trainwrecked by the elysse perry pick like 7 years ago.

you could measure yourself against a mix of punishing nerds, the powers of dogmatic belief in their random collection of players, sparks cold calculated cyborg team and some of the most colourful people australia has ever produced. i think you'd enjoy it tbh.

nzfan

Kane is struggling in IPL but that's all right, serious runs loading for Kane vs England. Fair number of knocks Kane was out playing shots that he normally wouldn't. Last night he was trying to paddle it around and lost his stumps. I don't know why he wants to build an inning, he's more than capable of smashing it from ball 1.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Kane is struggling in IPL but that's all right, serious runs loading for Kane vs England. Fair number of knocks Kane was out playing shots that he normally wouldn't. Last night he was trying to paddle it around and lost his stumps. I don't know why he wants to build an inning, he's more than capable of smashing it from ball 1.
there's a video up on cricinfo questioning if kane as a t20 batter should be a thing....questioning a guy who smacked 80 something in a world cup final just last year....lol

nzfan

there's a video up on cricinfo questioning if kane as a t20 batter should be a thing....questioning a guy who smacked 80 something in a world cup final just last year....lol
The decks have been used so many times now naturally it is starting to slow down. The thing with Kane is he plays responsibly and goes out to win games for any team he plays. Like others he can just throw the bat around and score way more but he's probably not someone that does that. Don't think he ever gets desperate. That is probably his biggest strength. No wonder he barely ever has a dip and is very consistent usually.

Of course you'd have him in every format even if he's in the worst form of his life. His leadership is heavily undervalued.