• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ask ***** - CricketWeb's 'Ask the umpire' thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think batsman who can play well at different gears are ideal. Gavaskar had a SR of about 45 which was standard for the average top order batsman of his era but he could score run-a-ball centuries against the GOAT fast bowling attack and also play a grindy 30 SR style when batting to save a match. This is different from a different 45 SR batsman who had nowhere near the attacking/defensive range of Gavaskar.

Another batsman who was great at this is ABDv.
Good point. Wrong thread.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think batsman who can play well at different gears are ideal. Gavaskar had a SR of about 45 which was standard for the average top order batsman of his era but he could score run-a-ball centuries against the GOAT fast bowling attack and also play a grindy 30 SR style when batting to save a match. This is different from a different 45 SR batsman who had nowhere near the attacking/defensive range of Gavaskar.

Another batsman who was great at this is ABDv.

Good point but rendered null and void by the failure to call AB, AB.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to repost my pertinent post after it got swallowed by an erroneous one.

I was reminded of this incident recently by an old acquaintance. It happened in 1989 and I’d forgotten it by the following week.
A one day, one innings match at very low level that could be drawn. Not limited overs and one team could bat the whole match if they were stupid.
One ball to go and 9 wickets down for the team batting second who had no realistic chance of winning. The last ball was what should have been a wide but the umpire didn’t call it because it would have been detrimental to the batting side. It was a nothing match, but a last ball scenario that’s possible at the highest level. The controversy didn’t last beyond the pie and pint after the match, but I don’t know if the umpire was correct.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
If it's a ' nothing ' match, then presumably the ump wanted to get it over and done with so he could get at his pint and pie. In all fairness, he should have called the wide and allowed an extra delivery that could have produced a result.

In the Eng vs Pak 2nd Test, I could have sworn looking at replays that Naseem Shah had Zak Crawley ever so slightly touching the ball with the faintest feather for a catch by the keeper. But why bother delaying it with a review when the match was basically a ' nothing ' match headed for a draw.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It wasn't a nothing match at the time to the players who were playing, just in global significance.

I don't see a bowler not reviewing for a Test wicket because the match is heading for a draw. You were probably the only who thinks they saw it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
It wasn't a nothing match at the time to the players who were playing, just in global significance.

I don't see a bowler not reviewing for a Test wicket because the match is heading for a draw. You were probably the only who thinks they saw it.
My bad, it was M. Abbas. Watch closely at 2:32. Possible ball was moving in air, but on very close inspection, it seems like the ball had very faintly touched the bat.

Back on topic

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the worst things about the little fella returning, apart from him returning, is this dross-filled, self indulgent **** of a thread

Bijed

International Regular
It's an interesting one - I'd have assumed it's the wrong call, personally.
I would assume so too, but one thing I've long wondered is if the batting side should have the option to decline the extra delivery from a wide/no-ball if they want. It'd only really be a thing when runs are irrelevant and they just need to survive time and it's not like you get that many wides/no-balls anyway, but part of me feels like if a bowler sends down a rank wide in that sort of situation, they should be punished by that delivery being wasted, rather than basically just getting another go.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I would assume so too, but one thing I've long wondered is if the batting side should have the option to decline the extra delivery from a wide/no-ball if they want. It'd only really be a thing when runs are irrelevant and they just need to survive time and it's not like you get that many wides/no-balls anyway, but part of me feels like if a bowler sends down a rank wide in that sort of situation, they should be punished by that delivery being wasted, rather than basically just getting another go.
I always remember the Flintoff magic over to Langer & Ponting at Edgbaston in 05 was 7 balls long as he bowled a no-ball. Got Ponting with the 7th I think.

ataraxia

International Coach
The batsman hits a ball to the top of the stumps on the full, where it ricochets off upwards and is caught by a fielder. Is the batsman out?