• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would a combined XI from this series include any England players?

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Root vs Smith is the only one I'd call England's way and even that is close.

Mark Wood was admirable but I don't think you'd pick him ahead of Cummins, Starc or Boland.

The only real weak points in the Aus line-up were Harris and Carey. But Khawaja would be an easy pick ahead of any of the England openers, and Buttler had just as bad a series as Carey. Seems like it would be cheating to pick Bairstow as keeper in a combined XI even though he didn't keep in the series.

so for me:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Root
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Boland

The Rock

Cricket Spectator
I'd put Wood in ahead of Boland ( who i think is basically a shield bowler). Root would make it. That's it though.

jcas0167

International Debutant
If he'd had the whole series I think Billings could have displaced Carey. Looked good in the first innings.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Smith being the only player to miss out from Australia in a combined Ashes XI. Who could have believed that an year ago.. Bit of a fall from grace. Have to wait and see if he can rise up again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd put Wood in ahead of Boland ( who i think is basically a shield bowler). Root would make it. That's it though.
Shield bowler or not, he took 18 wickets at 9 in this series and walks into a combined XI for this series.
Yeah combined eleven between the two teams and combined eleven based on series performances are two quite different arguments.

Obviously Root makes the former but he probably doesn't make the latter.

Boland wouldn't even make a proper Australian XI but he'd make a series one.

Spark

Global Moderator
Steve Smith being the only player to miss out from Australia in a combined Ashes XI. Who could have believed that an year ago.. Bit of a fall from grace. Have to wait and see if he can rise up again.
Eh, he wasn't awful. Just didn't turn his starts into big scores.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Khawaja didn't score any runs as opener though did he, mind you neither did any of our lot. Harris probably averaged best there other than Warner. Not a vintage series for openers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Out of position and only played 2 matches but I'd pick Bairstow instead of Root (and Smith). Also Khawaja failed twice as an opener, so no issue playing Bairstow at 4.

Bairstow, 2 tests, 194 runs @ 48.5
Root, 5 tests, 322 runs @ 32.20

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only one that can be really argued for is Root over Smith and maybe Crawley as an opener. And the latter is because the competition isn't flash (and even then, Harris's 50 > Crawley's 50).

Wood probably somewhat unlucky.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wood statistically was Englands 4th best seam bowler (average-=wise anyway), one very flattering spell, doesn't make up for a lot of dross, not least in the match he took those wickets which wasted a great bowling track.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Harris averaged more than Crawley for the series and played more tests. I can't see how any English player makes a combined XI. Smith misses out and Khawaja bats 4.

Warner
Harris
Labushagne
Khawaja
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Boland
Lyon

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
My thread, my rules. Obviously this is about picking on the basis of performance in the series. Otherwise Root and Stokes would walk into a combined XI along with at least one of Broaderson.