• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sobers vs Viv vs Lara

The Best WI Batsman

• Sobers

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Richards

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Lara

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Headley

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Sobers' poor performance against NZ has a lot more context.

He toured there first as a teenager. He was picked as a bowler then, was a nothing batsman and was poor against everyone during this period, not just NZ.
He toured then again 14 seasons later when he already completed a tiring trip of Australia, having scored around 500 runs and bowled around 1200 deliveries. That is the most insane workload ever for any cricketer in history.

He scored a mountain of runs in England, so it wasn't as if he wasn't proven in swinging conditions.

Not saying that Viv doesn't have an argument for the best WI batsman. He was truly epic and the best batsman I have seen.
Thanks for the context, which might explain some of the bad performance against NZ, but he played 12 matches against them. Seems like a fairly large sample for quite mediocre performance

smash84

The Tiger King

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
My slight comparative bias with Viv is that when I started watching cricket in the 80's he was past his absolute peak, in those early years my favorite batsman was actually Greenidge over him (for some reason). The best batsman I've ever watched in real time was without a doubt Lara, yes he was iffy at the beginning of innings and had stretches when he was off (or didn't care), but at his best, imho he was better than Sachin or Smith.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Thanks for the context, which might explain some of the bad performance against NZ, but he played 12 matches against them. Seems like a fairly large sample for quite mediocre performance
I think it is fair to hold against him his home performances against NZ in 5 tests. But then again, he averaged 36 in his only home series against them, which is definitely sub par but not terrible.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Sobers' poor performance against NZ has a lot more context.

He toured there first as a teenager. He was picked as a bowler then, was a nothing batsman and was poor against everyone during this period, not just NZ.
He toured then again 14 seasons later when he already completed a tiring trip of Australia, having scored around 500 runs and bowled around 1200 deliveries. That is the most insane workload ever for any cricketer in history.

He scored a mountain of runs in England, so it wasn't as if he wasn't proven in swinging conditions.

Not saying that Viv doesn't have an argument for the best WI batsman. He was truly epic and the best batsman I have seen.
Again missing the the point..."as a top order batsman".

I agree, Sobers is, imo, the greatest cricketer ever but he isn't the best batsman ever, by the finest of margins of course!

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it is fair to hold against him his home performances against NZ in 5 tests. But then again, he averaged 36 in his only home series against them, which is definitely sub par but not terrible.
yeah, definitely sub-par for someone like Sobers, but not totally terrible as you say, but check the records of both sobers and viv that i posted above. Viv's seems a lot more well rounded doesn't it?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Again missing the the point..."as a top order batsman".

I agree, Sobers is, imo, the greatest cricketer ever but he isn't the best batsman ever, by the finest of margins of course!
From memory his best average was at 3 and his average got lower the further down the order he went.

In terms of hundreds per innings and average I believe his best position was at 4, and the openers ahead of him wasn't as good as the ones IVA had. So not sure if your point.

And in the end all 3 of them are top 5 middle order batsmen behind Bradman.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
From memory his best average was at 3 and his average got lower the further down the order he went.

In terms of hundreds per innings and average I believe his best position was at 4, and the openers ahead of him wasn't as good as the ones IVA had. So not sure if your point.

And in the end all 3 of them are top 5 middle order batsmen behind Bradman.
You should go back to my post on Sobers numbers batting in the top order. The average is misleading and you may understand why.

h_hurricane

yeah, definitely sub-par for someone like Sobers, but not totally terrible as you say, but check the records of both sobers and viv that i posted above. Viv's seems a lot more well rounded doesn't it?
Yep. Viv's is more rounded. The one reason I rate Sobers an iota higher is because, despite the mess created in his record during his teenage days, he averaged a lot higher while playing for 20 years. Do agree that there isn't anywhere near as much gap between them as their records suggest. In fact not much to choose between Sobers, Richards and Lara at all. And Headley probably would have edged them had he not been interrupted by WW2, but we never know.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yep. Viv's is more rounded. The one reason I rate Sobers an iota higher is because, despite the mess created in his record during his teenage days, he averaged a lot higher while playing for 20 years. Do agree that there isn't anywhere near as much gap between them as their records suggest. In fact not much to choose between Sobers, Richards and Lara at all. And Headley probably would have edged them had he not been interrupted by WW2, but we never know.
Would that mathematically mean you rate him lower?

Yeah his career seems to move opposite to Viv's. While it got better with time, Viv's got worse.

smash84

The Tiger King
But I went for Viv, just because fast bowling is the most difficult type of bowling to face and he was arguably the greatest player of fast bowling in the history of the game.

h_hurricane

Would that mathematically mean you rate him lower?

Yeah his career seems to move opposite to Viv's. While it got better with time, Viv's got worse.
I rate Sobers as a 60 averaging batsman, second best in history after 'we-all-know-who'. A couple of runs higher than his career average, which suffered a bit due to a very early debut.
More controversially, I rate Viv as a 57-58 averaging batsman. Though I can understand not many here buying that opinion :p

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Viv averaged 65ish in his peak 6 years.
Sobers averaged 65ish for a stretch of 16 years.. Thats almost the length of Viv's entire career.

subshakerz

International Coach
Have to say I am surprised by the result. Thought it would be a dead heat between Sobers and Viv but Sobers is well ahead.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate Sobers as a 60 averaging batsman, second best in history after 'we-all-know-who'. A couple of runs higher than his career average, which suffered a bit due to a very early debut.
More controversially, I rate Viv as a 57-58 averaging batsman. Though I can understand not many here buying that opinion :p
Might have been higher if he wasn't bowled into the ground for most of his career..

Slifer

International Captain
Viv. Here's why. Unlike Lara, against every very good/great bowler of his time, Viv had at least one series where he put them to the sword: Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Dev, Willis, Thommo, Chandra and co etc. Then you look at his overall record, yeah his 50 or so average isn't particularly high but he did average 40+ home and away vs everyone (except 3 tests in NZ). He averaged 45 or so in the 4th innings. Those are clutch numbers imo. Lara never really conquered WWs or Donald. And Sobers, he did very good/great vs the two stronger teams of his time (Eng and Oz) but inexplicably sucked vs NZ. It's really a toss up between Viv and Gary but I've seen a lot more of Viv. Plus Viv like me, is from the Leeward Islands so I'll go with him.