• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Heboric

International Debutant
So Centurion will host boxing Day test & Joburg gets the new year's test. Capetown gets 3rd Test.
Hopefully series goes well with no issues. Can't wait for it.
Then there is definitely no fans allowed, New Year at Newlands was the crown jewel for CSA. To take that away from Newlands otherwise

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Then there is definitely no fans allowed, New Year at Newlands was the crown jewel for CSA. To take that away from Newlands otherwise
It's a shame really but can't fault CSA here.. There's a lot at stake here for them. It's nearly a miracle that this tour is happening & kudos to both boards for not canceling a single test match

Heboric

International Debutant
It's a shame really but can't fault CSA here.. There's a lot at stake here for them. It's nearly a miracle that this tour is happening & kudos to both boards for not canceling a single test match
True, but I was thinking overnight and I recall there were a few spectators at the SA A vs India A games. Granted small amount though

Dendarii

International Debutant
Even if there are fans, it's only going to be a small amount, so I don't think it makes too much difference where the tests are. And the Newlands match has to either be the first one or the last one of the series in order to minimise travelling.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
India has won 2 tests in Joburg & one in Durban. Durban like 2018 tour again misses out. Centurion can be flat at times but South Africa really has amazing record at this venue.
Team that wins the 1st test will probably win the series as well.

Dendarii

International Debutant
South African squad:

Dean Elgar (captain, Titans), Temba Bavuma (vice-captain, Lions), Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper, Titans), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Sarel Erwee (Dolphins), Beuran Hendricks (Western Province), George Linde (Western Province), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Aiden Markram (Titans), Wiaan Mulder (Lions), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Keegan Petersen (Dolphins), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions), Kyle Verreynne (Western Province), Marco Jansen (Warriors), Glenton Stuurman (Warriors), Prenelan Subrayen (Dolphins), Sisanda Magala (Lions), Ryan Rickelton (Lions), Duanne Olivier (Lions)

Obviously this is a bit of an extended squad because of the need to be in a bubble, so some of these players aren't realistically going to get a game, but still a couple of odd choices. Magala? And when are we going to move on from Hendricks?

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
South African squad:

Dean Elgar (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (vice-captain, Imperial Lions), Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper, Momentum Multiply Titans), Kagiso Rabada (Imperial Lions), Sarel Erwee (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Beuran Hendricks (Six Gun Grill Western Province), George Linde (Six Gun Grill Western Province), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Aiden Markram (Momentum Multiply Titans), Wiaan Mulder (Imperial Lions), Anrich Nortje (Gbets Warriors), Keegan Petersen (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Rassie van der Dussen (Imperial Lions), Kyle Verreynne (Six Gun Grill Western Province), Marco Jansen (Gbets Warriors), Glenton Stuurman (Gbets Warriors), Prenelan Subrayen (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Sisanda Magala (Imperial Lions), Ryan Rickelton (Imperial Lions), Duanne Olivier (Imperial Lions).

Obviously this is a bit of an extended squad because of the need to be in a bubble, so some of these players aren't realistically going to get a game, but still a couple of odd choices. Magala? And when are we going to move on from Hendricks?
Magala deserves it on 4 day cricket form. On what Hendricks and ngidi is picked I have no idea.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Magala deserves it on 4 day cricket form. On what Hendricks and ngidi is picked I have no idea.
Sipamla's also been in form domestically and is a better long term prospect, so I would have gone with him instead. Ngidi's there on reputation, and it seems like there's currently some rule in place that a South African squad must include someone with the surname Hendricks.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hendricks needs to go, we have enough bowlers. What has Ngidi done wrong. Has at times put in some excellent performances, even if not always consistent. I`m not a fan of choosing Magala, even though on form he is a good choice. And I don't see what Subrayen brings to the team? Not in SA with Linde and Maharaj already in the squad. I`m not a big fan of Marco in the squad either. Bit soon I think. Good to see Rickelton get in so quickly, and them pick Olivier again so quickly. Good overall squad, still would like to see some more younger batsmen.

Bahseph

State Captain
I think the Ngidi argument stems from his poor fitness record,but I can't from memory remember him pulling up mid game. Also having Mulder in the side negates that risk because he can give you 15-20 overs an innings if need be. I think the toss up will be between the skill set of Ngidi or Olivier. Who do they want in the side?

Edit: Subrayen is probably the best right arm spinner in SA other than Harmer. Perhaps they see a use for him overseas and want him around the team environment.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Ngidi's short on game time and has recently had COVID. Add to that Olivier being the leading wicket taker this season (28 wickets in 4 matches at 11) and it's understandable why there have been calls for his selection.

I don't think Subrayen's likely to play. I think he's there so that they can get a closer look at him and/or in the event that both Maharaj and Linde get crocked as they won't be able to bring in someone from outside the bubble. Although I'm not sure why they didn't consider Harmer as if Olivier's there on recent form then there's definitely a case for Harmer on that basis.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Hendricks needs to go, we have enough bowlers. What has Ngidi done wrong. Has at times put in some excellent performances, even if not always consistent. I`m not a fan of choosing Magala, even though on form he is a good choice. And I don't see what Subrayen brings to the team? Not in SA with Linde and Maharaj already in the squad. I`m not a big fan of Marco in the squad either. Bit soon I think. Good to see Rickelton get in so quickly, and them pick Olivier again so quickly. Good overall squad, still would like to see some more younger batsmen.
Ngidi has hardly been on a cricket field in the second half 2021. For me he needs to show that he can actually still play. Last played any game of cricket in July.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Ishan Kishan playing a really eye catching inns for India A here. Looked better than most of our top order bats. Always has little bit of young De Kock in his batting. Will be interesting if he tons up & selectors might consider him as a back up for Pant over Saha/Bharath.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sipamla gets a 5 for... expensive. Exactly how I look at him some pace, decent movement but inconsistent. I hope he can get it right sooner rather than later though.