• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls is a Craig McMillan or Styris level player with actual gun support.
No, McMillan was actually very naturally talented. Without diabetes and with a bit more patience I reckon he could've averaged 43-44.

Not a great ODI player though (except for that 100 in Hamilton)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nicholls feels like the Kiwi Paul Collingwood. Weird technique and a dodgy starter but has the guts to overperform at Test level and play some really crucial innings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nicholls feels like the Kiwi Paul Collingwood. Weird technique and a dodgy starter but has the guts to overperform at Test level and play some really crucial innings.
Collingwood actually had an eye like a dead fish. Not sure the same is true is Nicholls.

Fair enough comparison though.

ashley bach

International Captain
Lol, are you sure about this.
sure about the tosses they lost,
as for the best test team in the world, they haven't lost a test in 2 years, which to be fair is only the last 10 tests,
and as for losing a test at home, it's so long ago someone will have to remind us just when that was.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
sure about the tosses they lost,
as for the best test team in the world, they haven't lost a test in 2 years, which to be fair is only the last 10 tests,
and as for losing a test at home, it's so long ago someone will have to remind us just when that was.
We (NZ) won the toss in the WTC final.

The last test we lost at home was the 2nd test at the Basin Reserve vs South Africa in 2017. Maharaj spun SA to victory. We dominated the 1st and 3rd tests but they ended as rained out draws.

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
We (NZ) won the toss in the WTC final.

The last test we lost at home was the 2nd test at the Basin Reserve vs South Africa in 2017. Maharaj spun SA to victory. We dominated the 1st and 3rd tests but they ended as rained draws.
apologies thanks for the correction, indeed India were inserted to bat.

ashley bach

International Captain
There’s no way we can leave Ravindra out after he saved us in the last match.

Wagner in for Somerville. Phillips in for Nicholls. The first will likely happen. The latter won’t.

EDIT: I know it can be argued that Somerville played a massive part in saving us but he didn’t do his primary job which is taking wickets.

Of course we could end up getting the selection arse backwards in hindsight, where Wagner should have played the first test and Sommers the second.
the truth is Wagner should have played in both tests, his test record over such a long stint says how good he is.
even more importantly he's an extremely difficult and annoying bowler to have to face, who really wouldn't want Wagner in their team?
even more reason to play him given the void left by Trent Boult.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Wagner will play no doubt about that. The pitch looks like a good one. Brown grass all over and no cracks yet. I expect it to play all right. Obviously it'll turn and turn it will quick. There is going to be quicker runs scored no doubt particularly by the team that will win the toss.

Ajaz is the only bowler that is confirmed to play. I guess they will take stock of how Southee and Kyle are pulling up. Both have been on the road for a long time and won't be surprised one of them is not 100% If both are fit to go then it will either be Ravindra or Sommmerville to be replaced in that order I think. There's no way any from the top order will be missing out.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no way Southee or Jamieson are missing out on a chance to win a series for the first time in India. Their next assignment (without factoring in domestic cricket) is New Year's Day, so plenty of time to recharge the batteries.

Wagner in for Somerville, and I'd say that's the end of Somerville's Test career.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In my defense, I just presumed there wasn't a tour of a subcontinent coming up in the next 12-18 months, by which time Somerville would be 2 years older. So lack of research has let me down.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I know Santner doesn't have a lot of NZ test cricket fans but don't write him off yet. He'll be around.