• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

Flem274*

123/5
If he is this should be the team, but won't be

Latham (c)
Ravindra
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Phillips
Blundell
Bowlers

They'll keep Young opening with Taylor or Phillips at #3 and/or fit Santner in there though.

Flem274*

123/5
Hahaha surely surgery must be on the cards right?
This is the home season to do it imo. It does make the SA series a risk because they can seriously bowl and you always want your ATG batsman for that, but Conway's return mitigates that somewhat. Bangladesh don't have the pace bowling or the batting to win here.

It also means Taylor can't retire. Decline Taylor is better than losing our greatest batting combination with immediate effect. Latham, Ravindra, Conway, Young is a fine top 4 on paper but I hope it's smoothly introduced.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Mate .... with that our chances in this test goes down by like 50% or more.
The only way I'd think otherwise is as if the stars are aligning to boost Rachin to open the inning for us and do something unbelievably good. I know it's like needle in a haystack but if your new is true why do I feel the destiny is playing a role here?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What is it with Williamson and missing a second/third test of a series due to injury or illness.
Assuming it's true, fourth time for Latham as captain (though he didn't captain when Kane missed the third test last tour of India), interested to see how he uses his bowlers. And if he sets different fields to the spinners.

vandem

International 12th Man
Kane’s record against India is a bit patchy anyways. It’s a big blow but don’t think it shifts the needle that much. Certainly not 50%.
IIRC the only India home losses in the last decade have been to England (2) and Australia, and needed a dominant innings from the touring side's best batter (Root 218, Cook 190, Smith 109 on a pitch where India were O'Keeffed for 105 + 107).

So who in the NZ side can play a match winning innings in India? I think only Latham, Williamson (possibly injured), Conway (not playing, injured). So if Kane is out then (slim) winning chance reducing by 50% is not unreasonable.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC the only India home losses in the last decade have been to England (2) and Australia, and needed a dominant innings from the touring side's best batter (Root 218, Cook 190, Smith 109 on a pitch where India were O'Keeffed for 105 + 107).

So who in the NZ side can play a match winning innings in India? I think only Latham, Williamson (possibly injured), Conway (not playing, injured). So if Kane is out then (slim) winning chance reducing by 50% is not unreasonable.
The issue with that is the chance of Kane playing one of those monstrous knocks in the next test is not very high in the first place.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If he is this should be the team, but won't be

Latham (c)
Ravindra
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Phillips
Blundell
Bowlers

They'll keep Young opening with Taylor or Phillips at #3 and/or fit Santner in there though.
Would be a bit harsh on Mitchell given his strong start in tests, even with the extra spin bowling that Phillips offers.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Kane’s record against India is a bit patchy anyways. It’s a big blow but don’t think it shifts the needle that much. Certainly not 50%.
Doesn't matter what runs he gets... just him being in the team is reassuring. He could score 5 ducks in a row but if he's in the team you have hope. He's that good.