• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are we really going to pretend that Tim Southee...

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
In hindsight. Maybe this thread should have been titled "Shane Bond is the best seam bowling coach in the world, he even made Tim Southee good for a few years".

cnerd123

likes this
We gotta stop using 'against Bangladesh' as though that's a bad thing

I think we're legitimately the second best Test team in Asia now.

:ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on performances in NZ, Bangladesh > India >> Pakistan

The upcoming India vs. Bangladesh Test should be fun.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee is legitimately the biggest pea heart in international cricket. Possibly of all time.

When he gets a sniff and it's swinging, like v India in 2012 and in the World Cup v England, he'll get interested. Similarly, when he thinks he might be dropped or he is dropped, ala 2012 again to around the time this thread was made, he puts in. Otherwise, he can't be ****ed. Flat one? No thanks, I'll just bowl bumpers and a couple full to see if it's bothered swinging yet. Run in hard for 4-5 overs to see if I can change the game? Nah. That's Neil's job. And anyway, I get girls regardless of what I do. Chicks don't dig tight spells.

And that's even without mentioning his batting.

As a senior player and someone who I keep hearing is somewhat of a 'leader' that people try to impress, because he's the cool guy of the group or something, is a bad, BAD thing for NZ cricket and is tumorous. It's sad to say for someone of his undoubted talent but we'll probably be a better side when he's gone. But hey, can't wait to win the next Test/ODI when it does hoop and he gets temporarily interested.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Southee is legitimately the biggest pea heart in international cricket. Possibly of all time.

When he gets a sniff and it's swinging, like v India in 2012 and in the World Cup v England, he'll get interested. Similarly, when he thinks he might be dropped or he is dropped, ala 2012 again to around the time this thread was made, he puts in. Otherwise, he can't be ****ed. Flat one? No thanks, I'll just bowl bumpers and a couple full to see if it's bothered swinging yet. Run in hard for 4-5 overs to see if I can change the game? Nah. That's Neil's job. And anyway, I get girls regardless of what I do. Chicks don't dig tight spells.

As a senior player and someone who I keep hearing is somewhat of a 'leader' that people try to impress, because he's the cool guy of the group or something, is a bad, BAD thing for NZ cricket and is tumorous. It's sad to say for someone of his undoubted talent but we'll probably be a better side when he's gone. But hey, can't wait to win the next Test/ODI when it does hoop and he gets temporarily interested.
This sums it up well. If Tim Southee had Neil Wagner's attitude and work ethic we'd have another Dion Nash.

DriveClub

International Regular
I love southees action though so much flow, let's it rip out of his hand, lots of revolution. But pretty useless if it doesn't swing.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Have to agree, I'm trying to think of a mentally softer Test cricketer ever & I'm really struggling. Timmy Southee is out on his own.

Blocky

Banned
He's definitely soft; but it's more to do with the fact that neither he nor Boult bowl with plans and haven't done at any point in their careers. They don't know how to work batsmen over in order to get them out, most of their wickets rely on late swing that beats the batsman and it looks superb when it's on, but look at the career trajectory of Anderson (who still bends his back when it's not going his way) for an idea of bowlers who rely solely on swing do in world cricket these days, and Anderson's career is helped by the Duke.

For a while there, Southee was getting them to deck back in off the wicket but he seems to have lost that, he also can't hit the same spot on the pitch more than twice an over which at the 130kmh average he bowls at means batsmen today can just smash him. Boult on the other hand seems to be a shade of himself since the back injury, every time you think he's starting to show signs of being back to his best, you get a performance like this where he sprays it worse than most part timers, combining over-pitched with short-pitched wide ****.

Unless we move to the Duke at home, we can't afford both in the side. We need to be bringing through others ASAP.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I love southees action though so much flow, let's it rip out of his hand, lots of revolution. But pretty useless if it doesn't swing.
I love it too, there are plenty of posts on this forum with me professing my love for Tim Southee's bowling - mostly around the 2012-14 seasons. I was also there for his Test debut and had a real sense we were getting something special there.

But as I changed on Wagner after getting it wrong early in his NZ career, I'm changed on Tim too.

He just has no desire to work for wickets. Shakib said in the presser last night, he and Rahim were quite happy to sit on a couple of good balls an over because they knew bad crap was coming. Tim never has any desire to set plans, tie up an end and get guys out through pressure. Unless he's swinging it and nicking guys out/pitching leg hitting off, it's not of interest to him. Neil succeeds because he has clear plans and outlasts the batsman in sticking to them. Tim can't be arsed. Infuriating as a captain, I'd imagine.

Changing to a Duke ball just because our spearhead is a weak heart is hardly the way to go. It'd probably get him a bit interested, having said that he bowled like an absolute drain at Lord's two years ago so it's not a silver bullet for him.