• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why did David Hookes struggle at international level?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot has been written and discussed on CW about Hick, Ramprakash and Bevan's inability to turn FC glory into test success, but I haven't seem much about to explain Hookes.

Other than his five 4s in an over off Tony Greig in his I think test debut? he had a pretty forgettable test career.

His shield career was anything but:

*5 centuries in 6 innings across 17 days to catapault himself into the test side at 21
*Broke the FC partnership record in 1987 during his stand of 462 with Wayne Phillips. Hookes hit 306 off 314 balls in this innings
*Broke the FC record for fastest ever ton in 1982 with his 34 ball, 43 minute century

He must have possessed some crazy talent. What went wrong in tests?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot has been written and discussed on CW about Hick, Ramprakash and Bevan's inability to turn FC glory into test success, but I haven't seem much about to explain Hookes.

Other than his five 4s in an over off Tony Greig in his I think test debut? he had a pretty forgettable test career.

*5 centuries in 6 innings across 17 days to catapault himself into the test side at 21
*Broke the FC partnership record in 1987 during his stand of 462 with Wayne Phillips. Hookes hit 306 off 314 balls in this innings
*Broke the FC record for fastest ever ton in 1982 with his 34 ball, 43 minute century

This sounds like our Devon Smith.

Starfighter

Couldn't play spin I've heard.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

That's the Australian FC partnership record - it was just outside the all-time top 10 at the time.
As part of the 5 in 6 innings he scored 4 centuries in 2 matches, which had only been done once before.

AndrewB

I note that Hookes's Cricinfo page refers to him as a "first-class destroyer of second-rate bowling"... his 306 was against a weakened Tasmanian attack (Kirkman, Brown, Tame and Milosz).

Incidentally, in that season, Mike Veletta was well clear at the top of the Australian FC averages, and he was even less successful in Tests.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just reading through the article provided on hooke's, is anyone getting massive matthew renshaw vibes? Picked young on the back of incredible shield form and rushed into a fairly weak team, performs decently but due to very poor man managment and form get's dropped. get's dropped from even his shield team due to atrocious form and then comes back a better player. Renshaw has yet to finish his career but seems very similiar, despite the natural talent gap between hook and renshaw.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if Renshaw is as big a ****wit as Hookes was tbh. But not dissimilar in the way they came to prominence I suppose. Timing went against Hookes in some ways. WSC really wasn't ideal for a kid like him who'd just come along. He also seems to have bought right into the whole machismo of that era in Aus cricket and carried around a real attitude which was pretty unbecoming for a bloke with such a moderate record.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
My dad always talked about hookes in the same way he did VIV, surprised to see his numbers be as mediocre as they where overall tbh.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Maybe side tracking a bit but yea we really need to be careful when (over)rating certain players who - for reasons not of their own fault or whatever - were excellent in FC but didn't play all that many tests or didn't play any tests at all.

Midwinter

State Captain
Read or saw an interview with Hookes a fair while ago where he said if he had the coaching in his youth that some others had, it would have made a difference to his career.

Wasn't it just the swinging ball that was his weakness ?

mr_mister

That's the Australian FC partnership record - it was just outside the all-time top 10 at the time.
As part of the 5 in 6 innings he scored 4 centuries in 2 matches, which had only been done once before.
Bradman or Ponsford?

mr_mister

Tom Hayward
Bradman's problem is that he probably went too big in the first innings too often for there to be time to score a second innings hundred. Or maybe he was tired after his first dig. He didn't ton up twice in the same test as often as I'd have assumed he did

Moss

My dad always talked about hookes in the same way he did VIV, surprised to see his numbers be as mediocre as they where overall tbh.
Can remember some highlights of a WSC game (from the first season I think, was played at the Sydney showground), in which he hooked Andy Roberts for six off consecutive deliveries, first game back after having his jaw broken by Roberts apparently. In terms of hitting ability seems to be the sort of player who did leave an impression on those who watched.