• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

sunilz

International Regular
They forfeit the series. It's pretty obvious why they won't tour. It's fear of having their heads handed to them, nothing more. If they had the equivalent of their 2010/11 side, they'd be queuing up at Heathrow now to get out here.
Were England that favourites in 2010/11 ? Or Series turned out very well for them .IIRC Australia were still favourites.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More about how they played than the team on paper. 2010-11 wasn't any stronger that 2013-14. Or 2006-07 tbh. They just played a lot better and Aus played worse.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
More about how they played than the team on paper. 2010-11 wasn't any stronger that 2013-14. Or 2006-07 tbh. They just played a lot better and Aus played worse.
It was miles stronger than either once you factor in the form of the players in question etc. 2010 and 11 saw a stack of batsmen and seamers at their peak.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It was miles stronger than either once you factor in the form of the players in question etc. 2010 and 11 saw a stack of batsmen and seamers at their peak.
True, but I would say the inverse was true of Australia back in 2010-11, that team looked a fair bit stronger on paper than the 2013-14 team in batting especially.

Disturbs me to think 10-11 could have been even worse if Mike Hussey was dropped, something that seemed genuinely likely in the lead up to the series iirc

Burgey

Australia have lost a hell of a lot of series then.
Indeed. But it's one thing to pull the pin based on terrorist threats or an actual case of the plague. It's quite another to crack the ****s because you'll be put up in a five star hotel for a week or two when you get somewhere. Entitled ponces all.

Spikey

I would have thought a central issue is that the English players can't have any faith that the conditions set-out will be actually be the conditions given to them, particularly in regards to landing in Australia. This seems to be an entirely reasonable concern given QLD Health initially supported Indian's arrival last summer, and then backed out, and South Australia Health has bad form on this front too. CA's problem is that NSW Health is probably the most trust-worthy one on this front...but it can't be the landing spot unless they completely skip QLD and WA for the summer...which is probably what they should do for the sake of ensuring a smooth summer, but comes with a **** ton of political problems.

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh, if the states that don't wanna let them in don't want to, just don't play there.
This was the obvious solution last year and it's the obvious solution this year too. Canberra exists, Hobart exists, any number of regional grounds exist.

Spikey

yeah but CA is clearly gonna try it's best to maintain positive relationships with all the states. it's bordering on the absurd....and it's another reason for England/ECB to be sceptical of the plans they receive from CA.

Spark

Global Moderator
This reminds me of a question:
Does CA have a contract with MCG/SCG ?
Why do they always host boxing day/New year test ?
Yeah, they have a contract with the MCG at least for Boxing Day Tests. I believe it's renewed every couple of years and the most recent renewal was last year.

Spark

Global Moderator
Playing multiple Tests at the same venue isn't against the law either.
It's not but I'd honestly prefer they move it around to some place new rather than going again at one spot, though certainly that would be logistically easier.

yeah but CA is clearly gonna try it's best to maintain positive relationships with all the states. it's bordering on the absurd....and it's another reason for England/ECB to be sceptical of the plans they receive from CA.
Yeah I'm assuming this whole tour doesn't happen until there's clear word otherwise from the boards and the English players.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not but I'd honestly prefer they move it around to some place new rather than going again at one spot, though certainly that would be logistically easier.
Canberra and Hobart obviously make sense, but I worry about the quality of the pitches at the regional venues.

Spark

Global Moderator
Canberra and Hobart obviously make sense, but I worry about the quality of the pitches at the regional venues.
You'd only have to find one. And we've seen that QLD is willing to be far more flexible for big ticket sporting events than they are for, well, anything else.