• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand in Pakistan

Flem274*

123/5
NZ media reporting initial threats via email to players in weeks before tour were not credible, but morning of game a very credible threat was made. Stuff.co.nz were trying to draw NZC on a plane and hotel bomb but no one is commenting.

I've had my issues with David White but credit to him here, after some early tenure terrible media performances where he made everything worse (captaincygate) he's being pretty classy here.
Embarrassing media performance notwithstanding, you have to feel for the players and officials who’ve put in so much work for this only for it be set back.

When the entire country appears to feel the same way, there has to be a perspective we’re missing. They live and raise families Pakistan, at some level they’ve probably internalised what we find unacceptable levels of threats because it is literally their reality.
Yes, though can't help but suspect bombing the Pakistan cricket team would be a death sentence for any organisation who managed it. The threat is a bit different if you're foreign.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
*Credible threat*
And obviously it's hard to understand that there's quite likely a matter of safety or some logical reason as to why that hasn't been shared?
''some logical reason''

Amazing.

1. No sharing of the nature or type of threat
2. No reasons furnished on why the information isn't being shared

But obviously there's some hidden logical reason at work.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Of course, we have witnessed only recently how this 5 Anus intelligence works in Afganistan. An entire family with kids murdered in a drone attack that was actually awaiting a move to US.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
*Credible threat*

''some logical reason''

Amazing.

I'd be quite happy to jump on this conspiracy theory if there was a logical alternative.

If they'd cancelled the trip before they even went then we could speculate that they just cbf. But given they showed up and wasted all that time before going back home, they obviously planned to play and then something changed.

Given that, I think I'm happy to take it at face value that there was a threat they deemed credible. Maybe they over-reacted to a very small risk, but I don't think there's really a logical explanation for their actions other than what it says on the tin.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
*Credible threat*

''some logical reason''

Amazing.

Ok, no worries. NZ is a small place, I know the prime minister. I'll send her a message and let her know some guy on the internet wants to know why the Intel they've received isn't being shared, and ultimately what it is.

I'll get back to you when I hear.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's correct that intelligence agencies should be fully transparent. Five Eyes should reveal their sources and R&AW should tell us what they're doing in Africa plus what kind of training operations they're conducting with the CIA.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be quite happy to jump on this conspiracy theory if there was a logical alternative.

If they'd cancelled the trip before they even went then we could speculate that they just cbf. But given they showed up and wasted all that time before going back home, they obviously planned to play and then something changed.

Given that, I think I'm happy to take it at face value that there was a threat they deemed credible. Maybe they over-reacted to a very small risk, but I don't think there's really a logical explanation for their actions other than what it says on the tin.
This is exactly right. I've said this in previous posts - we were there. I've read all these Pakistan loons, including current and former players who should know better saying it's a conspiracy. How is there any lick of logic to a conspiracy? Holy ****, the longest of long bows to suggest we'd fly all the way in, only to bail out for no other reason than to form some sort of protest or whatever else these people are hinting at?

Yeah, maybe we did over-react. Pretty sure Tom Latham and co are pretty happy for that to be the case, over sticking around to find out.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*Credible threat*

''some logical reason''

Amazing.

The NZ government sharing their intel and sources of intel could compromise a lot of people/organisations. Why do they have to do that? It's a ridiculous thing to ask

Flem274*

123/5
No idea, was like 5 years ago or something. Was labelled as an assassination attempt in the media.
It was reported as road rage I think. Bloke probably didn't even know who he was.
Yeah if anything his fame seems to have saved him:

"He tried to shoot me, his gun was pointing at me, then people told him my identity and he fired at the side of my car. Had the people not told him about me, he would have shot me."
holy ****. Glad he got out of that in one piece.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
I think you are reading stuff I didn't say.

Right about now, there are scores of NATO forces in hotels in Pakistan - or were till a few days ago - on their way out of Afghanistan. Would they be there if they didn't trust Pakistani security apparatus at all?

So this cop out from NZ that they have a credible threat but which they would 1) neither share with hosts 2) nor explain why they won't share - makes no sense.

It's more than just basic decency, it sets such a terrible precedent of taking unilateral decisions and being utterly opaque and unaccountable for added measure.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
The NZ government sharing their intel and sources of intel could compromise a lot of people/organisations. Why do they have to do that? It's a ridiculous thing to ask
How would it compromise more than NATO forces relying completely on Pakistan to depart after their surrender in Afghanistan?

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, this is a reason coming from you. Let the NZ government say they do not trust pakistan with intel sharing. They have made no such claim yet.