• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I can understand England fans being very frustrated with Vince, because when they toured here last time he looked more like a genuine test-quality bat to me than several others England has tried before and since, but then he kept getting out. Which is problematic.

And Malan had a low-key very useful Ashes last series imo, in what was a very tough series for every batsman not named Smith.
mitch marsh made 2 tons in while not playing the full series wouldn't say that at all

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Mahmood is quality and should definitely go to Aus. Garton has some pace but is a long way off being a Test bowler. See also Zak Chappell. Think the JOverton ship has sailed, he's not even an automatic pick at county level. Carse might do well in Aus, he's a very non English kind of pace bowler which is not surprising considering that he is not English.

Of the other leftfield contenders I like the look of Ethan Bamber. Luke Wood would be an outside chance.
ethan bamber is a legit gun but he is murtagh pace (hence the nickname mini murts). he would be a very good horses for courses pick in home tests if he continues developing but i don't see him ever being a threat away from england.

Tom Flint

International Regular
ethan bamber is a legit gun but he is murtagh pace (hence the nickname mini murts). he would be a very good horses for courses pick in home tests if he continues developing but i don't see him ever being a threat away from england.
You must be watching a different Bamber to the one I watch at middlesex.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think livingstone should be given a go in the test tea. He is on a high atm full of confidence and he is worth the risk as the ones in there atm will never average above 35 other than root stokes and possibly pope

Flem274*

123/5
Has the height and pace of a hazlewood, unsure if his natural length is good enough for aussie conditions though, may be a touch to full.
I'd say the opposite. His natural length often misses the stumps in England, so on most Australian decks that will only be exacerbated. He's also not going to get the Kookaburra to talk from back there, and getting swing in Australia is miserable at the best of times.

Haze is also a bit sharper, but Robinson's bounce should ensure he feels quick enough to the batsman.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Paine is having neck surgery, but reckons he'll be fit for The Ashes if selected.
Who comes in if paine is injured? Carey has been the first choice guy for Aus A so I'de assume he would be the natural choice, and inglis being in the wt20 squad means he's not going to have much game time to push his case outside of one shield/marsh cup game pre leaving for the wt20 if I remember correctly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I gotta say it feels kind of pointless talking about any of the cricket related stuff while so much of the tour itself is still very much up in the air. What happened at Manchester can't have helped at all.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming the tour goes ahead at all a lot of the England players won’t be available if families aren’t allowed to visit. Presumably we have to wait for the governments to make decisions based on the Covid status as Australia approaches summer. We might need to find a squad of confirmed bachelors. :tooth:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would win an ashes series in the UAE? Neither batting lineup is particularly good, and i'de honestly back root to outperform smith in those conditions. Aus would really be relying on green or marnus to have a good series.