• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless those attacks are Sri Lanka B-team I haven't seen any of those bully anyone anywhere

And yeah I'm a dick I know but tbh Archer getting an elbow injury is something I could've picked from the first time I saw him "bowl"
Bully definitely wasn't the right word, they have the ability to make runs against average attacks in helpful batting conditions. Head did it vs nz, wade and harris really haven't done it aside from wade's random tons in the last ashes.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bully definitely wasn't the right word, they have the ability to make runs against average attacks in helpful batting conditions. Head did it vs nz, wade and harris really haven't done it aside from wade's random tons in the last ashes.
TBF to Wade those tons I don't think meet the criteria all that well anyway; I'd say that the English attack in that Ashes was better than average at least.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF to Wade those tons I don't think meet the criteria all that well anyway; I'd say that the English attack in that Ashes was better than average at least.
Wade made that first 100 coming in at 4-200 on a flat deck against an attack of broad-Woakes-Moeen-Stokes, not a BAD attack by any means but I wouldn't call it good, especially when root/denly bowled 26 overs between them as 5th bowler. Second ton was great though, Woakes-Broad-Curran-Leach-Jofra on an assistant deck is a very good attack, especially with the form joff and broad where in. Came to the crease at 4-80 and was 4th innings, really is an anomaly in what has otherwise been a career plagued by mediocrity.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia scraping the bottom of the barrel right now. Warner's international career is a few ducks away from being over, Smith's elbow is dead, Marnus is due a bad one, Green is unproven, Pucovski is always going to struggle to stay on the park and all the other choices are rubbish.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia scraping the bottom of the barrel right now. Warner's international career is a few ducks away from being over, Smith's elbow is dead, Marnus is due a bad one, Green is unproven, Pucovski is always going to struggle to stay on the park and all the other choices are rubbish.
Your technically right, think your straw manning a major amount, particularly with warner and green, but where nowhere near solid.

Burgey

Green's front pad is as big as him, and has a massive target painted on it. Will average about 20-25 this Ashes.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Green's front pad is as big as him, and has a massive target painted on it. Will average about 20-25 this Ashes.
Definitely was an issue at the start of the series vs India, he fixed that part of his game by the 3rd/4th match of the series. Noene in that england lineup aside from anderson with the pink ball is gonna give him major troubles, did fine against a far better indian side when he was a far lesser batsmen then he is atm.

morgieb

Though I’m not convinced England in Australia can expose it. England in England OTOH…..

TheJediBrah

Yeah some of the Shield attacks that Green has been averaging 100 against would have more teeth in Aus than the touring poms

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah some of the Shield attacks that Green has been averaging 100 against would have more teeth in Aus than the touring poms
Tbf greens runs last season weren't that good, got dropped twice vs ind A in his 140*, 160* came against a barely club standard SA attack on a pitch so flat that head made a double on it. His 197 vs NSW came against on paper strong attack until U realise that the pitch was so flat Matt kelly nearly made a ton in it and starc/Lyon where horribly out of form. 250 Against qld Came on the flattest deck of the season against a neser and swepsonless Qld, wasn't a bad attack but not amazing.

Would rate any of his first 3 shield tons and 80* from the previous season ahead of these.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england let mitch marsh flay them.

even if all the above comes to fruition, some utter cretin will come into the team and avg 100+ then be dropped next time australia go abroad and you all realise he can't play when the ball moves off the straight.

stephen

england let mitch marsh flay them.

even if all the above comes to fruition, some utter cretin will come into the team and avg 100+ then be dropped next time australia go abroad and you all realise he can't play when the ball moves off the straight.
To be fair to England, that was one of the flattest WACA decks ever. It was tailor made for a big score from a flat track bully.

TheJediBrah

Both Marshes made tons in Sydney too. Can't blame that one a road cause England then got bowled out for <200

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
England's pace bowling will be the least of our worries in Aus. Broad and Anderson have the experience, Robinson looks well suited to conditions there, Wood is properly quick and we have the excellent Saqib Mahmood. Hopefully Woakes will be fit too.

More concerned about the batting tbh.

Starfighter

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The inability of England's experienced attack to dismiss us was one of their big problems last tour. Anderson and Broad have mediocre records, Robinson is unproven here - English seamers of his sort of pace and style have tended to struggle here, Wood is fragile though could be an asset if used well, and Saqib is nothing special in the long form from my own observation.

It goes without saying the batting is the biggest problem, but the pace bowling is similar in composition to that which has failed in the past.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yes. Last time Mitch Marsh made 2 centuries against Anderson, Broad, Woakes + co. I wouldn't be any more confident now they're 4 years older

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Robinson definitely unproven but in style he's not dissimilar to Tremlett and Hazlewood who were/are effective in Aus.

If you don't think Mahmood has what it takes in long form cricket look at the Roses match at Old Trafford earlier this year. Lancs racked up 600-odd on a completely flat track and Mahmood blasted Yorkshire out. He bowled properly quick and cleverly too.

I'd feel better about it if Stone and Woakes are both fit though.