• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do fifers and tenfers help to judge a bowler?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Garner never went wicket less in a test I think. Pretty incredible really
He's second in the all-time list for "most Tests with 1+ wicket in all of them":

67: Fred Trueman
58: Joel Garner
30: Lasith Malinga
27: Bill O'Reilly, Ben Hilfenhaus
22: Iain O'Brien, Abdur Rehman
19: Colin Blythe
18: Simon Jones, Shane Bond

Allan Donald shared the record with Trueman for a fortnight, but then went wicketless in his 68th Test. (No one else - apart from Trueman, Donald and Garner - took wickets in each of their first 40 Tests).

If all sequences of Tests (i.e. not just from the start of a bowler's career) are included, Garner's still pretty high up:

72: Muttiah Muralitharan
67: Fred Trueman, Allan Donald, Dale Steyn
64: Bishen Bedi, Shane Warne
59: James Anderson
58: Joel Garner
57: Glenn McGrath
54: Anil Kumble

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty surprised not to see Hadlee on that bowlers list.
0/104 in his third test wasn't the best start. Then 7-2-15-0 in a very rain affected test in '82. Wicketless in the Headingley test where Cairns took 7/74 in '83, and again against England in '88. Four wicketless tests, quite well spaced.

Immenso

0/104 in his third test wasn't the best start. Then 7-2-15-0 in a very rain affected test in '82. Wicketless in the Headingley test where Cairns took 7/74 in '83, and again against England in '88. Four wicketless tests, quite well spaced.
The '88 test v England was injury affected for Hadlee. Bowled only half the overs of Snedden and Chatfield in first innings, didn't bowl in second. Missed rest of series. That was when we were expecting him to break Botham's all time wicket takers record. Had to wait 6 months until Bangalore.

Although, he still had few spells in that innings. 18 overs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
yet someone like Lillee takes 7 tenfers in just 70 tests but doesnt get any credit for
Depends on who you are asking. On CW he is not considered to belong in gold tier but "experts" frequently rate him as the greatest fast bowler of all time. Consider:

1. Lillee was ranked #6 in ESPN's legends of cricket ahead of even Imran and Hadlee who were all rounders in addition to being top tier bowlers
2. Lillee was named in Cricinfo's all time world XI (along with Marshall and Akram)
3. Lillee got 6th highest votes in the Wisden cricketers of the century poll

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Lillee acquired instant acclaim when he burst out on to the Test scene and was considered the best fast bowler taking over from Snow.

Many of the other pacers took a while to garner attention, (Imran, McGrath) and started getting noticed only once they breached 200 wkts

Engle

State Vice-Captain
5fers and 10fers are match-winning performances, while 100's, 200's could be a result of flat-track roads resulting in draws.

Also, the gradual progression towards a 100 is more of a personal milestone, whereas the 5fer does not progress in the same manner - every wkt taken is hard-earned and moves the team closer to a result. Yet, for some reason the raising of a bat on completing a 100 is hailed more than the raising of a ball on completing a 5-fer

Bolo.

I have been spelling my GFs name as 'Lillee' for thr last few months. I found out she spells it as 'Lily' a few days ago.

I met another girl with the same name last night. Turns out she also spells it as 'Lily', and this is apparently a normal thing.

I seem to have been calling my GF by the name of a ***y, mustchioed, fast bowling man beast for the past few months.

FMD
This post is from almost a year and a half ago. i still spell her name as 'Lillee', and try to correct anyone who spells it otherwise.

That is, when I am not calling her 'Dennis'. We went on holiday 7ish months ago and spilt into 2 groups for part of day. My group renamed her as Dennis, and didnt tell her why for a few days. It is still going. One of them corrected me last week when I tried to call her 'Lillee'... was not happy with a name other than Dennis.

I ask you this... do any of you have SOs named Malcom Marshall, or Glen Mcgrath. So, who is the real GOAT?*

*yes, we know it is still Jadeja, but someone has to come second.

subshakerz

International Coach
5fers and 10fers are match-winning performances, while 100's, 200's could be a result of flat-track roads resulting in draws.

Also, the gradual progression towards a 100 is more of a personal milestone, whereas the 5fer does not progress in the same manner - every wkt taken is hard-earned and moves the team closer to a result. Yet, for some reason the raising of a bat on completing a 100 is hailed more than the raising of a ball on completing a 5-fer
There are plenty of expensive fifers though that come with bowling long spells as the team amasses a big score. So not all fifers are matchwinning. So perhaps it balances out but I do give an edge to bowler efforts though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has any woman named Lily ever spelled her name "Lillee" lol
There are plenty of expensive fifers though that come with bowling long spells as the team amasses a big score. So not all fifers are matchwinning. So perhaps it balances out but I do give an edge to bowler efforts though.
Jason Krejza says hi