• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
Wonder what the ATG ODI XIs would be if we can split by eras -

• Pre 1985
  • 1985-1999
  • 2000-2015
  • 2015+
hqdefault.jpg

Pre 1985

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Abbas
Lloyd
Kapil
Botham
Marsh
Lillee
Garner
Quadir

1985-1999

Jayasuria
Tendulkar
Lara
Jones
De Silva
Bevan
Healy
Wasim
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose

2000-2015

Hayden
Amla
Ponting
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni
Watson
Lee
Muralidaran
Bond
McGrath

Post 2015

Warner
Sharma
Kohli
Azam
DeVilliers
Stokes
Butler
Jadeja
Starc
Boult
Bumrah

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
View attachment 27968

Pre 1985

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Abbas
Lloyd
Kapil
Botham
Marsh
Lillee
Garner
Quadir

1985-1999

Jayasuria
Tendulkar
Lara
Jones
De Silva
Bevan
Healy
Wasim
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose

2000-2015

Hayden
Amla
Ponting
Kohli
DeVilliers
Dhoni
Watson
Lee
Muralidaran
Bond
McGrath

Post 2015

Warner
Sharma
Kohli
Azam
DeVilliers
Stokes
Butler
Jadeja
Starc
Boult
Bumrah
I like the 85-99 side the best, even if Healy is sllightly weak as far as wicket keepers go. But then again, I grew up in the 90s and I may well be biased towards that era. But what a side. :wub:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns, 218 wickets in 62 tests at 29.40. 13 five-wicket bags and 1 ten-wicket bag.

Flintoff, 226 wickets in 79 tests at 32.78. 3 five-wicket bags and 0 ten-wicket bags.

Top 10 all rounders 1990-2010 (not including Steve Waugh, Wasim, and Chaminda Vaas as allrounders). Apologies to anyone I've forgotten.

Kallis
Pollock
Shakib (more for post-2010 play)
McMillan
Cairns
Flintoff
Vettori
Oram
Irfan Pathan
Klusener/Afridi

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The depth in allrounders now is amazing (up with the 4 from the 80s and the banned Saffas):
Shakib, Holder, Jadeja, Stokes, Ashwin, Jamieson, De Grandhomme, Woakes, Curran, Faheem, Mitchell (if he can take wickets), Hardik, even Moeen

plus all the potential of Green, Mulder, Ravindra, and Mayers

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The depth in allrounders now is amazing (up with the 4 from the 80s and the banned Saffas):
Shakib, Holder, Jadeja, Stokes, Ashwin, Jamieson, De Grandhomme, Woakes, Curran, Faheem, Mitchell (if he can take wickets), Hardik, even Moeen

plus all the potential of Green, Mulder, and Ravindra
I really dont think Jamieson, Ashwin, even Woakes can be classed as full allrounders, more like bowlers who can bat. But yeah, pretty amazing depth at this point. You did not even mention Sundar there. Or Shadab. These guys can be in there too in that list.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

plus all the potential of Green, Mulder, and Ravindra
Not even mentioning guys like shadab Khan delay o poetgieter and Ollie Robinson either. The depth in all-rounders worldwide atm is crazy

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I really dont think Jamieson, Ashwin, even Woakes can be classed as full allrounders, more like bowlers who can bat. But yeah, pretty amazing depth at this point. You did not even mention Sundar there. Or Shadab. These guys can be in there too in that list.
Forgot about them. Sundar looks amazing with the bat. Also Axar Patel has a 1st class batting av of 33.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've said this before when I picked the best team I've seen (post 95), I always pick both Warne and Murali which means I need a bowling all rounder so I end up picking Flintoff who is, despite the stats, is a far superior bowler to Kallis.

Also there is a question mark over Kallis's effect at number 6 where ideally you'd want a counter attacking batsman. Make no mistake Kallis is arguably the greatest cricketer of his generation so if you want him in the side, maybe push Lara to 3 and slot Kallis in at 5 where he'll get more time to build an innings. You can do it with your team cos you have 3 front line pacemen and Kallis is very useful 4th pace option

Some one like AB DeVilliers or Steve Waugh at six won't be the worst idea
If you must pick both Warne and Murali, then Kallis is sufficient as a third pacer. McGrath and Steyn/Ambrose/Wasim is an excellent new ball combination and Kallis was good enough to be a third pacer most of the time for South Africa. But honestly, despite them both being excellent, I would only pick one of those two and take both Steyn and Wasim alongside McGrath. Kallis gets into the side on batting alone, but having him as a fourth pacer is a huge luxury. Tendulkar could roll his arm over on a raging turner anyway.

To me Flintoff is a no rounder in ATG terms. He was very good for a few years but really didn't have the longevity of other all rounders, nor the potency. He wasn't good enough to be anywhere near an AT side in either discipline while Kallis has a legitimate claim for consideration on his batting alone.

If it wasn't for Sobers, Kallis would be a shoe in for every ATG side made on this site. He combines an ATG batsman with a pace bowler who would be in contention for a spot in many sides in history (even if he couldn't bat).

How about this for a batting order:

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kallis
Lara
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Plenty of time for Kallis to bat, Lara is aggressive enough to play 6, the precious deaf one gets his spot at 4 and the side has 4 genuine ATG batsmen with 10k+ runs from 3-6.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I've said this before when I picked the best team I've seen (post 95), I always pick both Warne and Murali which means I need a bowling all rounder so I end up picking Flintoff who is, despite the stats, is a far superior bowler to Kallis.

Also there is a question mark over Kallis's effect at number 6 where ideally you'd want a counter attacking batsman. Make no mistake Kallis is arguably the greatest cricketer of his generation so if you want him in the side, maybe push Lara to 3 and slot Kallis in at 5 where he'll get more time to build an innings. You can do it with your team cos you have 3 front line pacemen and Kallis is very useful 4th pace option

Some one like AB DeVilliers or Steve Waugh at six won't be the worst idea
Flintoff just weakens a side too much, however well suited he is to the role you are giving him.

Not that I think this is necessarily the the best team, but drop Murali for Jadeja (or Ashwin) and Flintoff for Pollock and you have a much stronger batting outfit and a much stronger 3rd quick.

Your route you have weak pace and batting compared to a more regular 3+1 (plus AR?) that I assume you will be playing against, while your spin attack will be significantly stronger. This way your pace and batting are at least becoming comparable, while your spin is still streets ahead.

The amount of pitches where you would want 2 spinners pulling heavy duty on when you have 3 ATG quicks is pretty limited... mostly decks with big turn where Jadeja is awesome anyway.

bagapath

International Captain
nadir played his first ODI in 1983. can't play for the pre 1985 side I would say

Pre 1985

Greenidge
Haynes
V Richards
G Chappell
Lloyd *
Kapil
Marsh +
Lillee
Roberts
Holding
Garner

1985 - 1999

Tendulkar
Jaysurya
Jones
De Silva
Bevan
Imran *
Healy +
Wasim
Warne
Waqar
Donald

2000-2015

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
De Villiers
Hussey
Dhoni + *
Flintoff
Pollock
Lee
Murali
McGrath

Post 2015

Warner
Sharma
Kohli *
Root
Azam
Stokes
Butler +
Jadeja
Starc
Boult
Bumrah

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top 10 all rounders 1990-2010 (not including Steve Waugh, Wasim, and Chaminda Vaas as allrounders). Apologies to anyone I've forgotten.

Kallis
Pollock
Shakib (more for post-2010 play)
McMillan
Cairns
Flintoff
Vettori
Oram
Irfan Pathan
Klusener/Afridi
Knowing you I'm assuming you mean Craig