• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
ODI pre-ODI team:

Bradman
Hobbs
Hutton
Grace
Compton
Ames +
Tate
Grimmett
Trueman
O'Reilly
Barnes

12th man: Bland

No Jessop, it's rather tough to fit him in. No Saffers whose FC careers extended past 1975 either.

Tail bad; it's tempting to remove O'Reilly and put in Goddard.
Bradman
Richards
McCabe
Pollock
Miller
Harvey
Ames +
Benaud *
Davidson
Lindwall
Larwood

Reactions: Gob

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI pre-ODI team:

Bradman
Hobbs
Hutton
Grace
Compton
Ames +
Tate
Grimmett
Trueman
O'Reilly
Barnes

12th man: Bland

No Jessop, it's rather tough to fit him in. No Saffers whose FC careers extended past 1975 either.

Tail bad; it's tempting to remove O'Reilly and put in Goddard.
Pretty sure Hutton’s strike rate was roughly 40.

Gob

International Coach
Ashes

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Smith
Waugh, SR
Border
Botham
Knott
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Keeper was the hardest to decide. Had an Australian keeper but that left only 3 englishmen and it just didn't feel right. Plus it makes sense to have the GOAT glove man when you have Botham in at 7.

The said Australian keeper however is not Adam Gilchrist who is an automatic choice for me for the AT side but his Ashes exploits feels a touch below his usual standards (still averages 45). Brad haddin was my original choice as I think he had more impact on Ashes cricket than Gilchrist. Haddin has 3rd most runs behind Knott and Marsh and one of the only two keepers along with Gilchrist to average over 40 and his impact in 13/14 was probably more valuable than Johnson

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haddin has 3rd most runs behind Knott and Marsh and one of the only two keepers along with Gilchrist to average over 40 and his impact in 13/14 was probably more valuable than Johnson
That's why they call it Haddin's Ashes

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Smith
Waugh, SR
Border
Botham
Knott
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Keeper was the hardest to decide. Had an Australian keeper but that left only 3 englishmen and it just didn't feel right. Plus it makes sense to have the GOAT glove man when you have Botham in at 7.

The said Australian keeper however is not Adam Gilchrist who is an automatic choice for me for the AT side but his Ashes exploits feels a touch below his usual standards (still averages 45). Brad haddin was my original choice as I think he had more impact on Ashes cricket than Gilchrist. Haddin has 3rd most runs behind Knott and Marsh and one of the only two keepers along with Gilchrist to average over 40 and his impact in 13/14 was probably more valuable than Johnson
Hugh Trumble was perhaps even better than Warne in the Ashes. He had 1 test and no wickets vs South Africa and 31 Ashes tests where he averaged about 20 with both bat and ball (141 Ashes wickets in 31 tests).

Also H Sutcliffe scored 8 100s and 16 50s to Hutton's 5 and 14 and averaged 66.85 from 48 innings with 5 not outs, while Hutton averaged 56.46 from 49 innings with 6 not outs despite scoring his average-boosting 364.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Hugh Trumble was perhaps even better than Warne in the Ashes. He had 1 test and no wickets vs South Africa and 31 Ashes tests where he averaged about 20 with both bat and ball (141 Ashes wickets in 31 tests).

Also H Sutcliffe scored 8 100s and 16 50s to Hutton's 5 and 14 and averaged 66.85 from 48 innings with 5 not outs, while Hutton averaged 56.46 from 49 innings with 6 not outs despite scoring his average-boosting 364.
Ah I did put some research in to it and probably mistook Hutton's record for Sutcliffe's. Yeah probably more deserving. Perhaps not the same class but Langer also worth a mention. Best Australian batsman in 05

Don't think you can leave out Warne for any other spinner tbh. I was aware of Trumble's record but without wanting to put down an era, Warne played in a much more competitive one

Gob

International Coach
That's why they call it Haddin's Ashes
Seriously though he was immense in 13/14. Australia were 5 down for **** all in all tests but Adelaide and even there, they were 5 for 250 or something and back in those days, 550 was like par there. Dig them out in all the games

Add in some other performances like Cardiff and Lords 09, Brisbane 10/11 and Edgbaston 13 on top of that, definitely an Ashes great rad

Gob

International Coach
Ashes

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Smith
Waugh, SR
Border
Botham
Knott
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

ROW to take them

Smith
Gavaskar
Richards
Pollock
Lara
Sobers
DeVilliers +
Hadlee
Marshall
Steyn
Muralidaran

Gob

International Coach
You can't spell Watling.
Imagine you take five hard earned wickets which include Lara, Richards et al that too while giving reasonable 240 odd runs, who'd you rather see walking in? BJ Watling or AB DeVilliers

Obviously BJ is the better keeper but DeVilliers was surprisingly good with the gloves

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine you take five hard earned wickets which include Lara, Richards et al that too while giving reasonable 240 odd runs, who'd you rather see walking in? BJ Watling or AB DeVilliers

Obviously BJ is the better keeper but DeVilliers was surprisingly good with the gloves
Yeah, I was just kidding.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bradman
Richards
McCabe
Pollock
Miller
Harvey
Ames +
Benaud *
Davidson
Lindwall
Larwood
If this was a real ODI, I think i'd probably let Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock open the batting. Would be brutal. Pollock would be a Gilchrist type at the top and Richards once scored 325 in a single day's play against high quality bowling.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's when an aggressive stroke maker who has a game that's seemingly naturally suited to LO cricket turns out to be relatively meh. Sehwag and Botham two other guys you'd have expected to be absolute top dogs in ODIs but were merely decent.

Gob

International Coach
1970 to 1990

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Border
Imran *
Knott +
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood
Lillee

1990 to 2010

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting *
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist +
Flintoff
Warne
Steyn
Muralidaran
McGrath

Who'd win

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd only play one spinner and pick Ambrose, Donald or Wasim instead. But the 90s-00s team IMO.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Turning track, 1990-2010, track that favours pace, 1970-1990. Basically comes down to having Underwood and Border vs Warne and Murali, and Imran/Hadlee/Marshall/Lillee vs Steyn/McGrath/Flintoff/Kallis

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, completely missed Flintoff in that team. Surely

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Is a much better AT side from that era.

Gob

International Coach
Wow, completely missed Flintoff in that team. Surely

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Is a much better AT side from that era.
I've said this before when I picked the best team I've seen (post 95), I always pick both Warne and Murali which means I need a bowling all rounder so I end up picking Flintoff who is, despite the stats, is a far superior bowler to Kallis.

Also there is a question mark over Kallis's effect at number 6 where ideally you'd want a counter attacking batsman. Make no mistake Kallis is arguably the greatest cricketer of his generation so if you want him in the side, maybe push Lara to 3 and slot Kallis in at 5 where he'll get more time to build an innings. You can do it with your team cos you have 3 front line pacemen and Kallis is very useful 4th pace option

Some one like AB DeVilliers or Steve Waugh at six won't be the worst idea