• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't forget Warne was injured every time he played India. Stephen to confirm.
Not every time. Not in his debut series or 2004. But the majority of his games against India were between 1998 and 2001 where many (including myself) seriously thought his injury had basically ended his career.

The real shame was the drug ban in 03/04.

Spark

Global Moderator
Played more important innings under pressure, in more difficult situations, batting with the tail a lot etc. Compare his test 100s to Clarke's and you'll find more of Hussey's were at times when the side was in serious trouble, and more of Clarke's were feasting when the getting was good.
Haha I'm kiiiind of sure this is untrue though not sure enough to actually litigate it (in fact I think it was a constant complaint here that Hussey kept saving his spot in the side with relatively facile, meaningless hundreds which didn't actually help the team that much but the media loved), but it nevertheless reminds me of one of the inadvertently funnier pieces of commentary I can recall:

Bloke came in at 4/250 with the oppo having put up <200 against a cooked attack on the roadiest road to ever road. "When the chips were down" indeed.

stephen

Haha I'm kiiiind of sure this is untrue though not sure enough to actually litigate it (in fact I think it was a constant complaint here that Hussey kept saving his spot in the side with relatively facile, meaningless hundreds which didn't actually help the team that much but the media loved), but it nevertheless reminds me of one of the inadvertently funnier pieces of commentary I can recall:

Bloke came in at 4/250 with the oppo having put up <200 against a cooked attack on the roadiest road to ever road. "When the chips were down" indeed.
Tbf, when the strolled to the crease the score wasn't objectively that good and Australia had lost a couple of quick wickets. But it was a stretch at best.

Perhaps I'm being easy on the commentary given it's Grieggy, may he RIP.

sunilz

International Regular

Is this video real ? I can't remember any series where Clarke scored 280 against IND ?
Was this a Warm up game before 2018 or 2020 BG trophy ?

stephen

Is this video real ? I can't remember any series where Clarke scored 280 against IND ?
Was this a Warm up game before 2018 or 2020 BG trophy ?
In case you're not kidding, 2012 my friend, 2012. The year where Clarke scored half his career runs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbf, when the strolled to the crease the score wasn't objectively that good and Australia had lost a couple of quick wickets. But it was a stretch at best.

Perhaps I'm being easy on the commentary given it's Grieggy, may he RIP.
I'm pretty sure he came in off the back of a gargantuan partnership, like 200+.

sunilz

International Regular
What is the legacy of 90s SA team ? They had the best W/L ratio in 90s in both ODI and Test , yet neither won ODI WC or a test series against AUS .

So what would they really be remembered for ? Or people won't remember them.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa in the 90’s? Cheating captain, 1999 World Cup Semifinal choke and being screwed over by umpire Aktar in somehow losing the five match Test series with England in 1998. There’s probably other stuff though.

stephen

What is the legacy of 90s SA team ? They had the best W/L ratio in 90s in both ODI and T20 , yet neither won ODI WC or a test series against AUS .

So what would they really be remembered for ? Or people won't remember them.
T20s? They weren't a thing until the 00s.